Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 03:33   #1
pyr

Displaying River Objects (Signs) in OpenCPN

Hi everyone,
I am yachtsman from Czech Republic, Europe. I like OpenCPN very much but I have one small problem with river maps. In European Union we have freely available river maps in "Inland ECDIS" format, which should be maritime ECDIS created in accordance with S-57 with added objects for inland river waterways. (see RIS Portal | River Information Services).

These river maps are fully functional in OpenCPN (I can see the maps as well as GPS position) but I can not see types of objects (those added for inland river waterways). Most of the objects are nautical signs. Is it possible to display these objects in OpenCPN? You can download map file of our river Vltava where you can see these objects here: http://nepsin.com/share/0_7VLTAV.000

And another feature request (or question is its already there), where can I display actual GPS speed of the boat?

Thank you in advance for your response

Best Regards,
pyr
pyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 04:54   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Sounds like the extended S-57 definition for inland waterways has not been implemented (yet?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr View Post
And another feature request (or question is its already there), where can I display actual GPS speed of the boat
This is normally displayed in the status bar.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Sounds like the extended S-57 definition for inland waterways has not been implemented (yet?)
Hello from Austria! I am new in this forum. I have the same problem with my River-Danube charts.

Can someone tell, it this feature is planned to be implemented in the (near) future?

Thanks for all your replays

Best regards from the sorroundings of Vienna

Hermann
hermann2441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:01   #4

Boat: Phantom 19
Inland ECDIS IENC support

Hi Hermann,
I started some research and came up with rasterization rules for part of the Inland ECDIS standard check out OpenCPN - InlandECDIS Support - Redmine to see what's been done so far.
A few warnings and info:
  • It is highly untested - use at your own risk, blah, blah
  • By far not all the symbols are done - I've implemented just the ones I found on Czech charts - Place for you or others to help as I really will not have time to create the rules for the whole standard anytime soon
  • The Austrian IENCs use different chart layer for the chart itself and symbology (unlike all the others I have in my collection) - it looks like the chart quilting introduced in 2.1.0 will be a solution for it but at it's present state it simply isn't. I will try to discuss it with Dave later when he settles down after returning home and fixing the more important problems in 2.1.0, but as most of the users are probably interested just in marine charts, I suppose the inland charts will not have a big priority. Right now I have to suggest not to try to use quilting with IENCs at all.

Right now the best you can get with Austrian IENC charts and OpenCPN is switching between the two views attached. The others can enjoy the experience seen at the last screenshot.

Cheers

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aut_ienc_chart.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	15185   Click image for larger version

Name:	aut_ienc_sym.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	15186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ienc.png
Views:	235
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	15187  
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:52   #5
Marine Service Provider

IENC Symbology

Pavel....

Lots of great work being done here. Thank you so much!

If you would like to have your work incorporated into the official release, you may send me the required csv and rle files. I will test, integrate, and upload to CVS and it will become part of the next release.

One snag: We may have to avoid use of SeeMyDENC symbologies to clear FOSS licensing issues.....

Once again, thanks for your contribution

Also, Are the Austrian ENCs available online for download? I'd like to consider how they may be integrated with quilting.....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:32   #6

Boat: Dufour 35
Dacust has the link " Inland Waters Resources "
to Austrian charts.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 13:33   #7

Dave,

I still don't think it's ready for the "official" release as there are conflicts between the entitites, attributes and their values used by ENC and IENC standards (must have taken a lot of effort to mess it up this way) so I will at least have to have one more round of integration of the two in the CSVs to do it as properly as possible. The planned approach is ENC has precedence over IENC in case of a conflict.

Most of the symbols are part of the official presentation library for IENC so there's not a problem. I've never seen the lib IHO sells for ENC so have no idea there. For the part I've done, probably just about three symbols have to be "borrowed" from SeeMyENC (which I believe has them from the official PLIB), but there sure will be more.
To circumvent these problems in a proper way I started to develop an editor for the RLE and the progress is pretty good - so far I've implemented reading and editing of the color palettes, reading and editing of the bitmap symbols, reading and display of the vector symbols and part of manual rasterization rules editing and translation of lookup tables into RLE format and back. Should be able to come up with some more or less usable version in a week or so.
The biggest problem here is replacement of the current RLE file, which now breaks most of the PLIB rules (format, field lengths, repeating definitions changing meanig etc.) so it's pretty hard for me to say what it actually does. It will take some time but after doing it once, it should be fine.

Official Austrian charts are free at doris.bmvit: Inland ECDIS Standard 2.0 I would say the problem will have a lot to do with the one I reported in the beta thread a while ago as well.

Pavel
Old 07-04-2010, 21:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

IENC

Pavel...

Thanks for the message. Your plan sounds good. I look forward to the results.

I understand that you find that the current RLE file breaks PLIB format rules. Not surprising, since it has been hand-crafted by me and others since we started using it.

I'd like to clean up the RLE and the code base if possible. I have run opencpn with a "virgin" S52PLIB Version 3.3 sometime in the distant past, and there were a few fixups to the code necessary. Maybe more junk has crept in.....

The "official" PLIB that I have seen has very few raster symbols. Consequently, many of the nice raster symbols in the current RLE file were probably borrowed from other sources. This file has a very opaque provenance.....

An editor for the RLE and other PLIBs would be a very cool tool to publish!

Carry on, and thanks again
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Also, Are the Austrian ENCs available online for download?
Hi Dave,

the Austrian Danube ENCs are available here:

Geographical Charts:

Download der geografischen Informationen - Teil 1
ca. 5,55 MB
km 1870 - km 1970
Download der geografischen Informationen - Teil 2
ca. 2,83 MB
km 1980 - km 2040
Download der geografischen Informationen - Teil 3
ca. 3,73 MB
km 2050 - km 2110
Download der geografischen Informationen - Teil 4
ca. 4,56 MB
km 2120 - km 2200

River objects and signs:

schifffahrtspolizeilichen Daten
Edition 5
ca. 605 KB

Best regards from Ausria and the Viennese Surroundings

Hermann
Old 10-04-2010, 04:45   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Hi Hermann,
Hi Pavel,

many thanks for your GREAT work. I am really enthusiastic about these new features.

Btw: what I cannot understand: why Austria always does its own way?

Best regards

Hermann
Old 30-09-2010, 07:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermann2441 View Post
Hi Pavel, have you some news abt inland waterway signs?

Greetings from Austria

Hermann
Old 30-09-2010, 07:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermann2441 View Post
Hi Pavel, have you some news abt inland waterway signs?
Hermann,
not much As my primary area of interest lays offshore, it's kind of hard to get the motivation for this time consuming river job... But as the season is slowly going to end and the evenings are getting cold and dark, I will probably get to implementing more signs by the end of the year (Danube being the next reference environment).
If you don't want to wait for me, you are welcome to contribute the rules yourself, just download the editor from OpenCPN - Rasterization Rules Editor - Redmine and have a look at the existing rules to get an idea how they work. There is really not much magic behind them...
The latest rules are always available at nohal's RleData at master - GitHub

Pavel
Old 30-09-2010, 10:54   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Hermann,
not much As my primary area of interest lays offshore, it's kind of hard to get the motivation for this time consuming river job... But as the season is slowly going to end and the evenings are getting cold and dark, I will probably get to implementing more signs by the end of the year (Danube being the next reference environment).
If you don't want to wait for me, you are welcome to contribute the rules yourself, just download the editor from OpenCPN - Rasterization Rules Editor - Redmine and have a look at the existing rules to get an idea how they work. There is really not much magic behind them...
The latest rules are always available at nohal's RleData at master - GitHub

Pavel
Hi Pavel and everyone
(Just back from the Azores)
I've contributed a few (non river) raster symbols. I urge everyone to download Nohal (Pavel)'s editor and get started. It's fun, no need to be a geek, and a useful way to spend winter's evenings...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 11:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Hi Pavel and everyone
(Just back from the Azores)
Salut Francois!
Bienvenue de nouveau au continent!
Hope you enjoyed the Azores at least as I did the Med

Pavel
Old 24-10-2010, 04:39   #15

Hi Pavel,
its not so important for me to add some signs. I would do the work to add some, but as you know, for Austria the overlay function is needed and I hoped your heared meanwhile something from the makers of the program.

Rgds

Hermann