Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 03:19   #1

Displayed Colour / Style for GPX Tracks

Hi,
I have just upgraded to 210 and am liking what I am seeing. Many thanks for all the good work in this release.

I am curious about whether I can change the colour and style of GPX tracks when displayed. On my system tracks are displayed in Purple and Routes in Blue. The Track points are displayed as circles. Is there some way I can supress the display of the circles and change the colour to Red for example? The circles were not displayed in the earlier release (1.36) I have been using to date.

Many thanks,

James
jsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 05:43   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
To answer your question, it is currently not possible to change track colour. The colour of tracks "ages" from bright red to purple for older tracks - I really like that.

Recently someone mentioned a Maxsea feature "track colour variation by speed". That also sounds very useful for intuitive analysis at a glance. Perhaps the two could be combined by having older tracks fade into tones of grey or darker colours, whilst having boat speed expressed by colour variation. Sounds horribly complicated to implement though.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:35   #3

Thanks - hadn't spotted the aging feature as I haven't used this live yet. I am not sure whether I would want colour variation by speed as a permanent feature - I can always use gpsvisualiser if I want that sort of analysis.

I would like to get rid of the circles though or replace them with dots because they are obscuring a swathe of the background. See here: screenshot These tracks were recorded on a separate GPS not through OpenCPN.

James
jsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 08:05   #4

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Have taken the liberty of adding a colour-coding feature request.

Hm I don't get your rings on my tracks..
Old 16-11-2010, 10:48   #5

I think one can set the colour of track display in the GPX file by choosing a <sym> attribute:

<sym>xmred</sym> will set the track colour between next two trackpoints to red
<sym>xmblue</sym> will make it blue
<sym>xmgreen</sym> will make it green

by default, active track is in red, older tracks in purple

I think in some older versions the circle was default symbol for trackpoints, so I was using <sym>empty</sym> or <sym>nosym</sym>, but in ver. 2.2 I do not get circles anymore.

Cheers,

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote