Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 18:51   #1

Display marker/light numbers only?

Hello,

i am relatively new to OpenCPN. I'm trying to reduce the clutter in inland waterways with many channel markers and smaller channels running off the main, while still being able to rapidly identify markers by number.

On vector charts, is there a way to display only the marker/buoy/light number and not the full object name as is the case with Buoy/Light Labels?

Thanks in advance!

flgulfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 19:08   #2

Re: Display marker/light numbers only?

This depends on how the data is encoded in the charts you are using. So, what charts are you using?

nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 19:14   #3

Sorry,I should have been more specific. I am using NOAA ENC charts, and ideally I would like to filter the names to more closely match the format used on the NOAA raster charts (ie the marker/buoy number usually appears in quotes, without the full description)
Old 21-02-2019, 19:41   #4

I suppose you are talking about a situation like this:

In this case we can't help you as we simply have no way to anticipate that you want to see "3" instead of "Pasadena Yacht Club Channel Daybeacon 3" as the NOAA cartographer simply decided you should see it all and set the OBJNAM property to the long version - as you can see in the chart object query window (available by double-clicking on any object on the chart) there simply is no "3" we could let you select as a better version. And we of course can't anticipate what the text in the OBJNAM actually means and if you consider it important or not.

So the answer is no, you may see either what the cartographer decided you have to see, or nothing if you decide so. Switching between the two variants is as simple as pressing the T key.

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 00.31.17.png
Views:	173
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	186410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-02-22 at 00.36.25.png
Views:	173
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	186411  

Old 16-04-2019, 15:44   #5

Thanks for the feedback. This is indeed the situation I was referring to, and in some situations and areas with complex, crossing channels it's even more difficult. If OBJNAM is the only field containing the light/buoy number, I suppose other ENC viewers must be parsing this according to some regular rules in the NOAA ENC text? For example, here is the same channel in the online NOAA ENC viewer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-16 18-38-56.png
Views:	34
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	190161  
Old 16-04-2019, 16:01   #6

Just to give you another example: In downtown Fort Lauderdale the ICW meets the New River in two channels, with a 1-3 foot shoal between. If you are traveling north and enter the river via the correct channel, the marker colors reverse from red on your left (ICW) to "red right returning" in the river.
There are also nearby side channels such as the yacht club. This is a busy area frequently traveled by mega yachts and commercial traffic in addition to recreational boaters. While it is possible to discern the marker numbers in OpenCPN by zooming in and out and reading the names carefully, the default presentation is confusing when you first look at it. Compare this with the presentation with numbers alone allowing quicker, positive identification of markers while moving in crowded boat traffic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-16 18-48-34.png
Views:	33
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	190162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-04-16 18-56-46.png
Views:	35
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	190163  

Old 16-04-2019, 17:04   #7

There is no problem to implement a rule to show only the text after the last space from OBJNAM, the problem is to check what it breaks...
Same as you insist on it being the logic that must be in place to make the chart display more useful, there may be other places covered by other producer's charts where people will swear we screwed badly by doing it...
Old 16-04-2019, 17:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
There is no problem to implement a rule to show only the text after the last space from OBJNAM, the problem is to check what it breaks...
Same as you insist on it being the logic that must be in place to make the chart display more useful, there may be other places covered by other producer's charts where people will swear we screwed badly by doing it...

Yep, let's break charting worldwide to cater for NOAA's verboseness and try to emulate the special case they can use in their viewer since they don't have to worry about anyone else's charts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BeaconName.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	190171   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeaconName2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	190172  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 08:33   #9

I would not suggest breaking charting globally, only that perhaps there could be an optional filter for object names on certain chart types such as this one to increase situational awareness in tight quarters. However, if there is no consistent or deterministic way to do this based on the information provided, I certainly understand.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:26   #10

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Perhaps you should make this request in tracker and provide a link to this thread, then Vote for it! Get 20 votes and it will end up at the top of the vetted list.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 11:22   #11

Thanks for that suggestion. I will work on getting set up on the tracker and submitting this as a feature request.