Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 05:32   #1

Boat: Phantom 19
Debugger Plugin for OpenCPN

Hello...
As part of my next project I've hacked together another very small plugin aimed mainly at plugin developers, but partially useful for debugging problems with the NMEA datastreams - It's kind of nicer and more powerful NMEA window already available from the toolbox.
Windows download at PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage, Linux users for the moment have to build from source or wait until I have time to do it myself.

Enjoy

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:42   #2

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: Debugger plugin for OpenCPN

hello Pavel,

W, XP, netbook ASUS 1001 HA

I try this new plug-in using VDR for create NMEA strings.

It seem Ok.

B.R.

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 03:07   #3

Hello Pavel,

Dropped the dll file in the plugin directory of opencpn v3.0 and I would expect to see an icon, however all installed plugins show except this one. I do see VDR record and play icons.

I downloaded this plugin from OpenCPN's download site.

Thanks for you help!
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 03:39   #4

Boat: Dufour 35

Pavel
I get the following error when building on 64 bits Ubuntu 12.04
Code:
Scanning dependencies of target ocpndebugger_pi
[ 98%] Building CXX object plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/CMakeFiles/ocpndebugger_pi.dir/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp.o
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void ocpndebugger_pi::SetPositionFixEx(PlugIn_Position_Fix_Ex&)’:
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp:205:114: error: no matching function for call to ‘OpenCPNDebuggerDlgImpl::SetNMEAEvent(wxString)’
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp:205:114: note: candidate is:
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebuggergui_impl.h:40:12: note: void OpenCPNDebuggerDlgImpl::SetNMEAEvent(wxString&)
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebuggergui_impl.h:40:12: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘wxString’ to ‘wxString&’
make[2]: *** [plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/CMakeFiles/ocpndebugger_pi.dir/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/CMakeFiles/ocpndebugger_pi.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 03:56   #5
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Hello Pavel,

Dropped the dll file in the plugin directory of opencpn v3.0 and I would expect to see an icon, however all installed plugins show except this one. I do see VDR record and play icons.

Thanks for you help!
For me it works (W7) like a charm. Used it to test the USB outages of my AIS unit and it showed that the NMEA messages came perfectly until they just starved.
Looking forward for Pavels revamp of the communication stuff.
NMEA2000 perhaps??

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 04:11   #6

By looking at the log file, I see that the required plugin is not loaded. There is no message or what so ever, I therefor draw the conclusion it is not loaded.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Hello Pavel,

Thanks for you help!
George...
Did you enable the plugin in the toolbox?

Pavel
Old 23-06-2012, 02:06   #8

Pavel,

I have two versions of Opencpn installed, one in "..\opencpn" and one in "..\opencpn 3.0.0" Because I first installed Findit it created a directory Opencpn under "Opencpn 3.0.0" . Under the Opencpn directory the Plugin directory was created (do you follow me )and I put the dll in that directory. It took a while till I found out to put the plugin in the right folder.

To cut a long story short, it is ok now. Thanks for asking.

George
Old 23-06-2012, 09:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Pavel
I get the following error when building on 64 bits Ubuntu 12.04
Code:
Scanning dependencies of target ocpndebugger_pi
[ 98%] Building CXX object plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/CMakeFiles/ocpndebugger_pi.dir/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp.o
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void ocpndebugger_pi::SetPositionFixEx(PlugIn_Position_Fix_Ex&)’:
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp:205:114: error: no matching function for call to ‘OpenCPNDebuggerDlgImpl::SetNMEAEvent(wxString)’
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp:205:114: note: candidate is:
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebuggergui_impl.h:40:12: note: void OpenCPNDebuggerDlgImpl::SetNMEAEvent(wxString&)
/home/thomas/Testing/GitHub/OpenCPN/plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/src/ocpndebuggergui_impl.h:40:12: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from ‘wxString’ to ‘wxString&’
make[2]: *** [plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/CMakeFiles/ocpndebugger_pi.dir/src/ocpndebugger_pi.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [plugins/ocpndebugger_pi/CMakeFiles/ocpndebugger_pi.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Thomas

Thomas...
Fix for the build on linux commited. If you are going to test against stock 3.0, you will not see the flow of messages through the API - fix for that in https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/com...86c8e8fabcfc9a

Pavel
Old 23-06-2012, 09:46   #10

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Thomas...
Fix for the build on linux commited. If you are going to test against stock 3.0, you will not see the flow of messages through the API - fix for that in https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/com...86c8e8fabcfc9a

Pavel
Thanks Pavel.
OK with the post 3.0 GH master.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 09:02   #11

Boat: 29'

nice tool! (XP) works with xport ...I see the preference button doesn't do anything, but it's easy to copy/paste from the paused active window. For me, this is better than having output to a logfile- it's quicker to get the important stuff this way than going down the rabbit hole in windows...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 09:20   #12

Boat: 29'

bcn,
you've likely done this but just in case...
Find the place to "Disable Power Management on USB" Apparently W7 has the same issues with usb going to Sleep that XP has.(whether it's actually in sleep mode or not- BYTheWay- this also MIGHT be that the usb hub actually hasn't the l amperage to run many devices-a 500ma sum of all devices is/orusedtobe pretty common....)
In the end, for me I have xport in between as well as the above tweaks. I can even put the laptop to sleep without wakeup issues...I wonder if VSPE can do what xport does...it must be "Polling" the device or something, eh?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:20   #13

Re: Debugger Plugin for OpenCPN

Great feature!!!

Is there a way to have the debug screen automatically write to a log file? Also, have some log or file rotation so you dont get one big massive log file?
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Great feature!!!

Is there a way to have the debug screen automatically write to a log file? Also, have some log or file rotation so you dont get one big massive log file?
nightOwl...
You can record the NMEA stream using the VDR plugin. I don't currently plan to implement the same in the debugger, but it does not mean I won't do it in the future.

Pavel
Old 26-08-2012, 18:16   #15

Wow thats great...thanks Pavel.

Now, to figure out how to display depth in feet rather than meters.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn