Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 11:01   #31

Boat: 1975 Isander 28
Re: DC-DC power supplies and UPS notification

if you are going to cook up something external, use a Atmel micro controller. High reliability, low power, simple to use and program. Monitoring voltage is easy and also you can communicate with the PC via serial USB with no drivers needed on windows,linux,and OSX. You can get a dev board with all the hardware hooked on like the Teensy ++ 2.0 for < $20.
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 14:53   #32

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I can't help but think this is a solution looking for a problem.

Over the last 15 years I have run a VIA ITX with internal 12v power supply board, a Intel ITX with a Pico power supply and 2 Intel N3000 series fanless PC's all directly connected to house bank.

I have no start batteries and my engines start from my two house banks. My AIS will very occasionally throw up a low voltage alarm on engine start if my batteries are particularly low after an overnight passage. I run a fridge and freezer 24/7 and an HF radio and I have also experienced several electrical storms. At no time has my PC crashed as a result.

That is not to say that I have not had operating system crashes, mainly Win10, I now run Win7 but none due to power issues.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:08   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeith View Post
if you are going to cook up something external, use a Atmel micro controller. High reliability, low power, simple to use and program. Monitoring voltage is easy and also you can communicate with the PC via serial USB with no drivers needed on windows,linux,and OSX. You can get a dev board with all the hardware hooked on like the Teensy ++ 2.0 for < $20.
Or go wireless, esp32 has adc's and can send the voltage over udp or tcp, then node red is an easy way to do something based on the numbers. Cheaper as well, and much faster woth more memory. .
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote