Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 02:57   #1

Boat: Barkas Classic 1100
Data visualization in OCPN and in OCPN-Draw

Hello,

Recently I did run into some issues, where I do not see a solution for;

1)
After creating a Way-point in OCPN, the way-point stays visible after restarting OCPN. The same thing happens when a 'Path' has been created in OCPN-Draw.
After exporting both items (waypoint and path), and putting the files into the belonging 'layers' map on c:\ProgramData, both files are getting loaded during the startup of OCPN.
However the OCPN layer is visible immediately, while OCPN-Draw will not make the data visible; it has to be made visible manualy aftyer restart.
It seems that OCPN, remembers the latest information required; so when shown last time, it will get visible after restart. Not shown last time, it will not get visible after restart.
OCPN-Draw however will never make the path information visible, in case loaded from the 'layers' map.

Is there a way of making 'path' information visible after restart, without loading it per item in the 'path' tab?
The reason is that I do have 7 categories path-information, which will not all have to be visible after restart. And loading it into the 'path'-tab makes it very crowded; together all the points are above 20000 items in total.

2)
Also a question on the OCPN way of data storage; when I would like to suppress the way-point names of a file, it will still show the way-point names after restart. So that part of the (latest) information is not stored.
As well, the files are getting loaded on start-up from the 'layers'-map and are in total some 18000 items, divided into 'floating' and 'fixed' way-points (buoys).
By changing the '<name>' option in the xml-file, the name will permanently be invisible in OCPN; I only need it to be invisible on start-up, so when required, the name can be made visible.

If someone can help me out on both issues, that would be great.
58gschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 06:23   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Data visualization in OCPN and in OCPN-Draw

Layers are read-only in OpenCPN, no information can be changed in the objects they contain at runtime by design. That they do not honour the name visibility setting for the waypoints is a bug I will fix tonight.
But it will not allow you to make the name visible at runtime as the layers are read-only. The only solution for that is to have two layers, one with visible, one with invisible names and switch between them as needed.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 08:12   #3

Boat: Barkas Classic 1100

Thanks for the response,

Double maps are not the solution, because the file needs to be relocated to another map, and gets reloaded, which will take the necessary time. Just 'switch off the name-visibility after restart', will do.

Thanks
58gschol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 14:25   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/1270 is as far as I'm willing to get with this for O5.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote