Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-10-2011, 08:19   #16

Boat: 29'
Re: Cruising Guide with Additional Information Links

..you're right,though.It doesn't work in OpenCPN with the "#" and whatever follows.It just opens the page at top.
Code:
<link href="file:///D:/DownloadedStuff/tabtrick.html#dupes"><text>down page</text></link>
        <link href="file:///D:/DownloadedStuff/tabtrick.html"><text>source page</text></link>
didn't work.although it looks ok...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	32442
ps.I just copied and pasted from the browser address

Old 07-10-2011, 08:26   #17

I don't have any problem with the coding, that all exists and works.. what doesn't work is the links to a location from OpenCPN.

This is the link as coded into the GPX file for a waypoint

Code:
file:///C:/NavWeb/SGNotes.html#CobblersCove
But when clicked in the OpenCPN additional info window it takes me to

Code:
file:///C:/NavWeb/SGNotes.html
Attachment 32440

The link is correctly formated. If I right click on the link and copy and paste into the browser it takes me to the correct location

Code:
Attachment 32441

OpenCPN doesn't seem to be passing the location name part of the link to the browser.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:39   #18

Chay,can any other program pass such a command to a browser?is it just OpenCPN that can't do it?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:21   #19

..it's interesting that though Opencpn won't go down the page per the"#" link,it highlights it, at least.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Quote:
URLs for "anchors" on the same page start with "#" followed immediately by the label of the anchor (for example, "#my_tag")

If you have to have a separate command line for each item,why not use the following:

file:///C:/NavWeb/SGNotes/CobblersCove.html

Find it hard to believe it has anything to do with OCPN as the link simply relinquishes the command to the called .html file.

Tore
Old 07-10-2011, 13:32   #21

I have never said it had anything to do with OpenCPN, only that what I am trying to do doesn't work with OpenCPN.

Sinbad. I'm not sure what you mean by a seperate command line for each item.. My notes are organised into Geographical areas. I have one HTML page for each area; South Georgia, Falkland Islands, Tierra del Fuego, Antarctic Peninsula, South Sandwich Islands, etc. etc. .

So South Georgia is one page, each location is a paragraph or two, with a link to a sketch plan or photos. All of this is very readable, you can browse through it, it's in geographical order so you read in a natural direction along the coast, that way it's easy to compare anchorages in a particular area.

If you are suggesting that I link to each location without using #name then I'd have to cut each geographical area up into dozens, or hundreds, of files. I'm not going to do that for several reasons. The main two being that I'd have to maintain at least two sets of files, and I like it the way it is.

My information is very readable as it is I don't want to make it harder to read. Friends and colleages like the way it is.

I want to link OpenCPN into something that already exists not break something up just so that I can link to it from OpenCPN. It also has to remain simple to maintain.

One solution would be to have plugin for OpenCPN that was basically a HTML browser, then I am guessing that it would be easier to pass the links in both directions. For the cruising guide to be interactive it needs to work both ways...
a. a click on a link in the Waypoint info box takes you to the information document(s)
b. a click on a position in the navigation notes document takes you to the positon in OpenCPN.

There has been a lot of talk here about 'interactive cruising guides' but as far as I can see you can only link out of OpenCPN at this time and not in from a cruising guide.

I'm trying to solve the problem with simple technology that anybody can use without programming, which I don't have time for, and by sharing here I hope that my efforts will help others.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Dave..

Regarding Littlechay's problem initiating an 'extended' .html command with an # anchor:

Could there be a possibility that your 'Additional information' feature in OCPN only accepts links ending with htm or html? The above command works perfectly when executed outside OCPN.

Tore
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04   #23

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Dave..

Regarding Littlechay's problem initiating an 'extended' .html command with an # anchor:

Could there be a possibility that your 'Additional information' feature in OCPN only accepts links ending with htm or html? The above command works perfectly when executed outside OCPN.

Tore
It is not a general OpenCPN problem as this feature works OK in Linux/OpenCPN, while in windows (XP) the parser silently drops the html anchor. It could be an wx/win implementation problem. Please enter this as a bug in the tracker.
Thomas

Tags
cruising, cruising guides

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: