Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 05:46   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Couple of Practical OpenCPN Questions or Possibly Feature Requests

I have studied the manual, but can't find any answer to these questions:

1. Is there anyway to restart an active route, so that a new leg is created from your position to the next waypoint? This would be the analogue of "Navigation" > "Restart" in Raymarine and Navico plotters, and is very useful for checking a new leg for possible obstacles, and seeing XTE, after you have deviated from the planned track for some reason. Would be nice if it could also be done from a "Navigate To Here" route. If there is no such feature, could we request it?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Couple of Practical OpenCPN Questions or Possibly Feature Requests

2. I would like to be able to draw simple lines on the chart and see the length of the line and bearing. A kind of virtual Portland Plotter. The Drawing Tools plugin seems to only do EBL's and VRM's. Is there any way to do it? Or if not, could it be added?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-08-2017, 07:48   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
2. I would like to be able to draw simple lines on the chart and see the length of the line and bearing. A kind of virtual Portland Plotter. The Drawing Tools plugin seems to only do EBL's and VRM's. Is there any way to do it? Or if not, could it be added?
Use the Drawing tool and create a boundary consisting of only two points.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:50   #4

Boat: 29'

per "2", Right-click, choose "Measure"

or
,on the keyboard
Shift+m.... Esc to make it disappear
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 10:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post

or
,on the keyboard
That doesn't work! You can't leave the line in place while you do other things! Press "measure off" and the line disappears!
Walt Whitman
Old 18-08-2017, 12:07   #6

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
I have studied the manual, but can't find any answer to these questions:

1. Is there anyway to restart an active route, so that a new leg is created from your position to the next waypoint? This would be the analogue of "Navigation" > "Restart" in Raymarine and Navico plotters, and is very useful for checking a new leg for possible obstacles, and seeing XTE, after you have deviated from the planned track for some reason. Would be nice if it could also be done from a "Navigate To Here" route. If there is no such feature, could we request it?
If I understand your Q correct you could:
If you are close to an existing route say in between WP 003 and 004 and activate it, the WP in front of you will be activated. In this example WP 004. But the XTE will try to get you to the line connecting WP 003 and 004. If that is not desired you can, when a route is active, right click and select "Zero XTE". Then a virtual WP will be created at your position thus the new XTE calculation will keep you at the line from your actual position to WP 004 instead.
And if WP 004 was a bad choice you can always right click a WP in an active route and select "Activate".

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 14:26   #7

Boat: 29'

Originally Posted by HappySeagull

or
,on the keyboard

Quote:
That doesn't work! You can't leave the line in place while you do other things! Press "measure off" and the line disappears!
Ok, well How about a "route"? Same thing (esc ends it) but permanent until you delete it. Plus, You can change the colour and Style (dashed line?) in Route manager....and if waypoints aren't locked, you can play with it (double-click a point) and move it wherever you want. You could leave a couple or three of these "route-lines" around on the screen just like the ol protractor...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	routedrawtool.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	154359
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 01:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
If I understand your Q correct you could:
If you are close to an existing route say in between WP 003 and 004 and activate it, the WP in front of you will be activated. In this example WP 004. But the XTE will try to get you to the line connecting WP 003 and 004. If that is not desired you can, when a route is active, right click and select "Zero XTE". Then a virtual WP will be created at your position thus the new XTE calculation will keep you at the line from your actual position to WP 004 instead.
And if WP 004 was a bad choice you can always right click a WP in an active route and select "Activate".

Håkan
OK, thanks. Yes, you understood my question exactly. I'll try that when I'm at sea. I presume this command ("Zero XTE") just doesn't appear in any menu unless I'm navigating a route and an XTE exists? I can't find it anywhere here at anchor; doesn't work for a "Navigate to Here" temporary route. I can't get this option right-clicking either on the route or the waypoint. Does it appear only after XTE exists, or am I looking in the wrong place? Might be nice to mention this in the manual.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-08-2017, 01:06   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Originally Posted by HappySeagull

or
,on the keyboard

Ok, well How about a "route"? Same thing (esc ends it) but permanent until you delete it. Plus, You can change the colour and Style (dashed line?) in Route manager....and if waypoints aren't locked, you can play with it (double-click a point) and move it wherever you want. You could leave a couple or three of these "route-lines" around on the screen just like the ol protractor...?

Attachment 154359

Perfect -- thank you very much!
Walt Whitman
Old 19-08-2017, 01:40   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
OK, thanks. Yes, you understood my question exactly. I'll try that when I'm at sea. I presume this command ("Zero XTE") just doesn't appear in any menu unless I'm navigating a route and an XTE exists? I can't find it anywhere here at anchor; doesn't work for a "Navigate to Here" temporary route. I can't get this option right-clicking either on the route or the waypoint. Does it appear only after XTE exists, or am I looking in the wrong place? Might be nice to mention this in the manual.
Looks like the zero XTE only appears in the right click menu when the active waypoint has another waypoint before it - doesn't work on a "navigate to here" or on the first waypoint of a route. WHich sort of makes sense, how could you have cross track error if not going from one waypoint to another.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 02:32   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Looks like the zero XTE only appears in the right click menu when the active waypoint has another waypoint before it - doesn't work on a "navigate to here" or on the first waypoint of a route. WHich sort of makes sense, how could you have cross track error if not going from one waypoint to another.
Going to a single waypoint or to the first waypoint in a route, is just as much a situation for this, as between waypoints.

Specifically, for checking what is between you and the waypoint, after you've gotten off track for some reason.

So I guess this is a "feature request"!

A second and related one: when you're navigating towards the first waypoint on a route, to show the track to there! Give an option to reckon the whole route from your current position at the time of activating the route, rather than from the first waypoint. Many users will prefer this since it's the way commercial plotters work.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-08-2017, 02:56   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Going to a single waypoint or to the first waypoint in a route, is just as much a situation for this, as between waypoints.

Specifically, for checking what is between you and the waypoint, after you've gotten off track for some reason.

A second and related one: when you're navigating towards the first waypoint on a route, to show the track to there! Give an option to reckon the whole route from your current position at the time of activating the route, rather than from the first waypoint. Many users will prefer this since it's the way commercial plotters work.
Isn't it just as easy to "insert waypoint" and drag to the boat, still just takes a couple of seconds...

Old 19-08-2017, 03:38   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Zero crosstrack error should work for "navigate to here". if it does not I will investigate why. Conceptually this is no different than running a route. Probably it is a simple thing to do.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 03:55   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Zero crosstrack error should work for "navigate to here". if it does not I will investigate why. Conceptually this is no different than running a route. Probably it is a simple thing to do.
Quick bit of testing on a win10 laptop, zero xte doesn't work straight away after doing "navigate to here" but if you deactivate then reactivate the route it works. Might be an easy fix.
Old 19-08-2017, 05:44   #15

Boat: Valiant 42

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc, opencpn