Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04   #1

Corrupted Chart display

Part of chart is covered with a semi-transparent rectangle. If I move the chart, it usually gets worse. I am using Win 10, on a PC, but have had similar troubles on a new Mac. OpenCPN 4.8.0 Build 2017-08-11. But it also did it with earlier versions. I am using CM93 charts. It does not do it with the default World Chart. I have a 3840 x 2150 pixel screen. I can send more data as desired.

Please direct me to the best thread. I spent a long time looking, no joy.

It makes it hard to use the charts. Thanks,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart goof 02.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	160001  
Alegria99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Corrupted Chart display

Dave....

You have a huge screen. Brand/model number?

As a test, please try with OpenCPN set in a smaller window, say like half or 1/3 the total screen size.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 23:10   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Also perhaps try to update the chart database and try it with opengl on and opengl off, particularly if this is a new installation or an update.
You can also try to close opencp, rename your opencpn.ini to opencpn.ini.old and restart opencpn and a new opencpn.ini will be created. You will need to direct the chart path again and check your other configuration settings.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 23:14   #4

Quick question, is this a desktop pc connected to a monitor, or a tv? or is it a laptop connected to a second monitor or tv?
Some more hardware details might be needed as Dave asked.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:34   #5

Thanks to both of you.

While I was waiting to hear from you, I think I solved it. If I turn on OpenGL in the Settings, Display, Advanced, (check box near bottom of panel) it is OK. If I uncheck, it comes back.

To answer your questions in sort of chronological order:
It is a Dell M4800. I like the high resolution screens for charts and maps, but many programs know not what to do and the text or graphics may be very tiny. It is a double edged sword.

I had fixed it before I got the very logical suggestion to try a smaller window. But, I just turned off OpenGL and it seems to happen if the viewable part of the chart is over 1500 pixels. Maximum width is not a problem. But, as you move about on the chart, the covered area can grow and you loose most of the chart. So, it is a major bummer.

rgleason hit the nail on the head. In my just keep trying things (infinite number of monkeys) approach, I had tried "scan charts and update database" and "force full database rebuild", but that did not seem to do anything. (I fully understand that since I have very little idea what I am doing, it might have helped and I just did not see, or know what it helped.

I think John Wayne said, "Life is hard. But, it is harder when you're dumb." I am actually fairly bright, but bright enough to know that there is a WHOLE LOT that I have yet to learn. I have not been using OpenCPN for about 8 yrs, so I have a steep learning curve.

This is just the basic M4800 laptop, no TV, or external monitor.

Thanks VERY much! (More, below)

>>>>>>>>>>

Can you suggest which forum threads, or links in the help file, would be good for the following questions?

I thought that years ago, I could create a little collection of data, over at the upper right, similar to when you have activated a route, and it gives you XTE, BRG, etc. I thought it had the data that is now at the bottom of the screen and more. Plus the route info, when on a route. Can I still create that, or something like it?

Where can I find a key, or explanation, like the American 'Chart 1' that tells me what Colors and code words and symbols indicate on CM93 charts? My particular question is, that here in the Mediterranean, the deep water is light blue, the 10 meters to 5 meters is kind of a gray blue, 5 meters to 0 is a darker blue. But some coastal areas are gray. I am guessing it is unsurveyed, but I have no idea. 'Object Query' does not tell me anything different in the gray.

I have a large number of CM93 charts that people have given me. One is 2.02GB, but usually they are about 1.35GB. The older CM93, perhaps V1, you could add them together to insert missing harbor charts, etc. But, that does not seem to work with V2. I wonder if someone has tried that. Because, even though the collection is big, it does not have the harbor chart for my marina.

Not to wear out my welcome, I will stop there. Many thanks....
Alegria99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 14:18   #6

Alegra, thanks for reporting back, it is essential to understanding user issues. Bdbcat may have some more specific questions. On my SurfacePro3 with high res I have my computer configuration settings (Win10) at 175% to 200% under scale and layout or the text is too small!

OpenCPN is trying to become more responsive to higher res screens, but it needs to work on low power devices and screen size is a major determinant of power use.

Also you are thinking of the Dashboard Plugin. It is included as a part of the download. You need to enable it.

There is also a Statusbar plugin that can be downloaded.

I think you need might need a complete set of CM93 charts, do some searches. Also is quilting enabled? Do a search in the User Manual for quilting.

Also do a search in the user manual for ...heck this link

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ions_setting&s[]=vector#vector_charts_display

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...or_display_tab

See Quilting
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...tting#advanced