Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:07   #1
MdJ

Boat: Etap 22i
Convert TIFF Image into Map KAP

I wrote a little program to directly convert a TIFF image with coordinates in degrees into a KAP map.

See C source and Windows exe in French forum Articles

The source is free and if OpenCPN wants, it can be proposed in a toolbox integrated or not in OpenCPN.

The program is a beta version, bugs as possible.

M'dJ
MdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:05   #2
MdJ

With files

With files
Attached Files
File Type: doc tiff2kap.c.doc (11.8 KB, 769 views)
File Type: doc tiff2kap.zip.doc (237.1 KB, 651 views)
Old 11-10-2010, 01:48   #3
MdJ

tiff2kap

Apparently, nobody is interested by this program, however it is easier to use than tiff2bsb and fixes bugs on color (128 colors accepted as well as 2, 4 and 8 bit) and compression format kap 2 to 7 bits.

MdJ
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00   #4

Hello MdJ,

I think the problem that limits the possible usage of your tool is that it is rare the case you have the lat/lon of the exact corners. Normally you have lat/lon of pixels that are inside the picture, far from the corners. Anyway if you have solved some bugs, it would be useful to have a tool that, like tif2bsb, takes as input a tif file and a kap header (built by a different tool) and just builds the kap file.

Just my opinion.

Ciao, Marco.
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:41   #5

I hope someone would make an OziExplorer (MAP + TIF) into KAP converter. Many of us have immense amounts of specialized detailed maps made and calibrated like that for Oziexplorer and hope to get that converted into OpenCPN
MagnusS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:06   #6

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
MagnusS..
Your OziExplorer maps are easily converted to .kap format readable by OpenCPN using MapCal and Chartconvert. You already have the bitmap as well as the map coordinates in the .map file.

Tore
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55   #7

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusS View Post
I hope someone would make an OziExplorer (MAP + TIF) into KAP converter. Many of us have immense amounts of specialized detailed maps made and calibrated like that for Oziexplorer and hope to get that converted into OpenCPN
It's been done. Script here http://opencpn.org/sites/default/fil...2kap_0.1.6.zip.
More in a separate thread on this forum.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03   #8

Thanks for your kind advice. However, I am not a SW knowledgeable person, so getting source code does not help me.

/Magnus
Old 03-01-2011, 10:05   #9

Thomas..

The download file 'map2kap-0.1.6' is not an .exe file. How do you use it?
Could you show a command line example?

Tore
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
MagnusS..
Your OziExplorer maps are easily converted to .kap format readable by OpenCPN using MapCal and Chartconvert. You already have the bitmap as well as the map coordinates in the .map file.

Tore
I will try to look into that. If it is the method I read about somwhere including manual actions, it is less usable. The number of OziExplorer calibrated special charts (harbours and special passages in shallow waters) I have is over 1300....
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20   #11

MagnusS..

I am waiting for an answer from Thomas to see how easy (or not) it is to use 'map2kap-0.1.6'. Otherwise,yes,the method I normally use takes a few minutes manual work.

In any case,I am sure you do not cruise in all those 1300 areas at once,so converting only the charts you expect to use for each cruise should not take too long.

Tore
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33   #12

Quote:
MagnusS..

I am waiting for an answer from Thomas to see how easy (or not) it is to use 'map2kap-0.1.6'. Otherwise,yes,the method I normally use takes a few minutes manual work.

In any case,I am sure you do not cruise in all those 1300 areas at once,so converting only the charts you expect to use for each cruise should not take too long.

Tore
I have invested VERY much time with Oziexplorer calibrated chart specials. Seaclear can import them, but the Oziexplorer calibration utilities are by far superior. Finalizing a calibration procedure using Ozieplorer includes the GPS simulation run, to check that the actual positions does not differ between the new special chart and the overall chart. I find it hard to motivate myself to change into some new plotter SW where my investments have to be remade manually again.
I am probably not alone, thats why asking...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05   #13

MagusS..

OziExplorer was one of the first nav. progs. I used years ago in Norway,great program I still have on my laptop today. Then I purchased Fugawi ENC which I still have and use from time to time. SeaClear I have also used but mostly use MapCal II these days.

I have been following and in a small way contributed to the development of OpenCPN from it's conception. What I like is it's simplicity and the fact that it has been developed by experienced sailors FOR sailors,drawing also on great technical programing experience from our developers. It is a 'living' software which is always improving.

Many addittional conversion utilities has been developed and contributed by our users,making the conversion less of a pain in the neck for the lesser gifted of us.

As I mentioned,I am waiting for a further orientation from Thomas who created MAP2KAP.

Tore
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56   #14
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Thomas..

The download file 'map2kap-0.1.6' is not an .exe file. How do you use it?
Could you show a command line example?

Tore
That is a Ruby script. You have to install Ruby on your machine to run it. I think there are versions of Ruby for all the popular platforms.

-->Ruby Programming Language

For Windows, click on "Download" and scroll down to:
  • Ruby 1.9.2-p136 RubyInstaller

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:20   #15
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
Hello MdJ,

I think the problem that limits the possible usage of your tool is that it is rare the case you have the lat/lon of the exact corners. Normally you have lat/lon of pixels that are inside the picture, far from the corners. Anyway if you have solved some bugs, it would be useful to have a tool that, like tif2bsb, takes as input a tif file and a kap header (built by a different tool) and just builds the kap file.

Just my opinion.

Ciao, Marco.
I'm sorry I haven't seen this utility before now. I'll continue when I get some spare time again :-)

But I wonder if gdal_translate would be able to do the same, that is transform from Gtiff/tiff to KAP with some GCP's as parameters.

See GDAL: gdal_translate and the -gcp option.

I have not yet tested the -gcp option of gdal_translate.

When I get some spare time again :-)
oem is offline   Reply With Quote