Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2013, 18:27   #16

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: CONNECTING TAB TO LAPTOP VIA TEAMVIEWER LAN

Barney..

Thanks Barney,Hotspot Control worked EXACTLY as it should,via my Galaxy SII phone setting
up the hotspot,and TeamViewer on my Galaxy 10.1 Tablet,completely independently of any wifi internet connection.

See screenshot of creating a Routing with qtVlm and the Hotspot Control page.

The smartphone can be continuously charged from your laptop via USB cable.
Presumably you already have a smartphone so no need to buy an extra router.

A truly GREAT combination.

Tore

N.B. I can now even sit in my living room,accessing ALL the programs on the PC in my study......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-18-20-21-11.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	67461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-18-21-54-03.png
Views:	200
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	67462  

Old 18-09-2013, 18:46   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Thanks Barney,Hotspot Control worked EXACTLY as it should,via my Galaxy SII phone setting
up the hotspot,and TeamViewer on my Galaxy 10.1 Tablet,completely independently of any wifi internet connection. (...)
I am very happy to hear it works for you!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 18:59   #18

Barney..

I have´nt had time to check it properly but it seems I can not get Hotspot Control to work on my tablet alone but have to use my smartphone as a hotspot. I know it works with TeamViewer but did´nt quite find out how to set up and connect to a hotspot, Hotspot Control makes it so much easier. Thanks again.

Tore
Old 19-09-2013, 06:02   #19

Re: CONNECTING TAB TO LAPTOP VIA TEAMVIEWER AND HOTSPOT CONTROL

Barney..

Pleased to advice the hotspot can be created direct through my tablet (without the phone) and works PERFECTLY connecting my tablet with my PC or laptop to run f.ex. OpenCPN and other Windows based programs.

It is well worth noting however,the possibility of setting up the hotspot with a compatible smartphone before you connect the tablet to your laptop. As you were mentioning earlier,some tablets have ´hidden´hotspot setups,others have them removed for some reason.

Later today I want to test the range of the hotspot within the house.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-19-09-39-28.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	67478  
Old 19-09-2013, 08:05   #20

Barney..

I tested the hotspot connection between the Galaxy tab and my PC about 14 m away and through two walls with no interruption,although it was down to ONE green bar on the network indicator. So,an excellent connection can be guaranteed the short distance between the cockpit and the cabin below.

Tore
Old 19-09-2013, 08:52   #21

Barney..

Even works great on my Galaxy smartphone. Using the Logitec USB Bluetooth mouse makes it very easy to access all the OpenCPN controls. Plugged in to you laptop below you may have to get an extra USB extension cable to place the Bluetooth sensor head somewhere within easy connection to the mouse.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-19-12-41-24.png
Views:	184
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	67498  
Old 19-09-2013, 13:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Barney..

Even works great on my Galaxy smartphone. Using the Logitec USB Bluetooth mouse makes it very easy to access all the OpenCPN controls. Plugged in to you laptop below you may have to get an extra USB extension cable to place the Bluetooth sensor head somewhere within easy connection to the mouse.

Tore
Now that you said it, I think I was doing one thing wrong all the time: I was using the tablet both to remotely view my Windows desktop (with say Open CPN on it) AND to control it. But sure, why not, I could have used the tablet as a remote screen only and do all control and manipulation with mice and keyboards plugged directly (or via BT) into our laptop!

BTW I have experimented with something called VNC (Open VNC?) and it did great job remotely displaying our laptop's screen too. Similar to TeamViewer just I guess from another developer.

Bueno. We learn something new every day. Life is good.

Cheers,
b.
Old 20-09-2013, 14:58   #23

Barney..

I tried some experiments today to find a ´hotspot mouse´ and found WiFi Mouse which has one Windows server part and another Android app running on my Galaxy SII smartphone as a mouse.

I managed initially to set it up running on my local, hotspot network together with TeamViewer establishing contact between my tablet and my PC. However,after a while I had problems with TeamViewer not finding the hotspot network on my tablet. Finally had to re-boot Windows7 to recognise the hotspot again.

Maybe I gave up to early but it is perhaps simpler to use my original solution described earlier in this thread,using a ´bluetooth ´dongle´ and mouse.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130920_182700.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	67587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-20-18-57-21.png
Views:	187
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	67588  

Old 20-09-2013, 18:37   #24

Yes. I too have this kind of issues like things connect initially but then they go their own ways. When I get into a setup like this I pass on and look for solutions that behave.

Nothing more frustrating than trying to fix things underway.

b.
Old 21-09-2013, 12:51   #25

Did a more thorough test today using the WiFi Mouse and it worked perfectly within the common hotspot network I set up with Hotspot Control connecting my tablet to my PC/laptop via TeamViewer. The thing to remember is to set up the various elements in the right order.

1. Hotspot Control from my smartphone,setting up the common hotspot.
2. Connect my PC to the new hotspot
3. Make sure the WiFi Mouse Server is started and running on your PC/laptop
4. Start you WiFi Mouse App on your smartphone and the mouse controls will appear.
5. Start the TeamViewer Server on your PC... the IP numer and password is displayed.
6. Connect your tablet to the hotspot network and start TeamViewer App. on your tablet.
Enter the IP and password shown on your PC
7. You have now established connection between the tablet and the PC.
8. You can now use your smartphone to move the cursor around the PC screen.
9. Switch OFF ´Display mouse cursor....´ in the small TeamViewer Server box displayed at the bottom right of your PC screen. The cursor is now displayed and working on your tablet.

After this,plain sailing!!!

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-20-18-57-21.png
Views:	182
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	67643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-19-12-40-58.png
Views:	201
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	67644  

Old 25-09-2013, 03:05   #26

Hi

Have been using TeamViewer for some time now and it works well. I picked the idea up from a comment Sinbad7 made earlier in the year. My new laptop is running win 8 but previously I was running XP and it was a bit slow with TeamViewer but not any more. Can easily access all the programs on the laptop or my desktop and as Sinbad7 says it solves the issue of running OpenCpn on an Android tablet. The other thing I like is the security access key, I assume this will stop any chance of picking up somebody else's signal.

By the Way Sony now have a waterproof/resistant tablet if you can afford it, no more plastic bags!

There is also an Android application from Navionics which is relatively low cost, I think for my Android phone with current Australian/NZ Charts was about $15 (AUS) the tablet version is a bit more expensive so don't have it, but it does give the opportunity of a supposedly current and continually updated set of charts to compare with what is actually out there and it runs off the GPS in the phone. CM93 is now starting to be a bit out of date, so to have another set as back up or confirmation is to me good policy. Will no doubt get the tablet version at some time, should run of the GPS in the tablet. The application is not nearly as versatile as OpenCPN, but nevertheless can be useful and they do cover most of the worlds coast lines. The only annoying thing to me are the large number of photos available within the application, OK if up to date but suspect as with Google Earth they will rapidly date or be positioned in the wrong place and not sure how much of my data allowance they use.

Regards

John
John23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 05:38   #27

As an alternative Android/Windows connection to TeamViewer,I downloaded the new Conectify 7 software thinking it was offering a similar function. After a lenghty installation sequence,requiring also various Microsoft support programs to be loaded,and all of TWO total re-boots,I only found it capable of creating a hotspot and still required TeamViewer or similar to make the connection.

Perhaps I am wrong but I found no feature to make the Android/Windows connection.
The small and FREE Hotspot Control app does the same job in two seconds.
Needless to say,I de-installed Connectify 7.

Tore
Old 26-09-2013, 16:19   #28

Hi

All I did was to downloaded Teamviewer free on to my Desktop & Laptop then the free app "Teamviewer for Remote Control" from the Google store (Google Play as now called) on to the tablet. Then all I have to do is turn on Teamviewer on my desktop or Laptop, get the new password (a new one is generated each time Teamviewer is turned on the Desktop/Laptop for security reasons) and enter it into Teamviewer on the tablet and it all works only too easily.

On the boat the laptop is running 24/7 so no need to update the password. Gives full touch control of any program on the laptop be it OpenCPN , excel, word etc.

Now this assumes the laptop has wifi built in, but I think all have been for very many years. No dongle or anything else needed.

If the laptop is connected to the Internet via a wifi modem/router then have full internet access on the tablet, although in my case the tablet connects directly to the wifi modem/router. I use a wifi modem for my data as is much cheaper than through a mobile phone and it has 5 wifi ports when in range. What I can also do to improve connectivity is to hoist the wifi modem/router up in the air in a waterproof plastic case, battery lasts at least 8 hours maybe much more if little used. Mind you works most times if left on the chart table or on a shelf where I can keep it fully charged.

This worked on my old laptop Win XP and now on the new Laptop Win 8. As I said was slow on XP but that laptop was almost a museum piece.

John
John23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 17:45   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
One thing I dont like avout TeamView is the file transfer interface is a little clunky, and you cannot have a remote control session at the same time...only one or the other.

But otherwise a great product for remote control. Ive been transitioning from laptop to tablet and have found it very handy for that.

For remote file access I like "File Manager", not only is it a full featured file manager for Android, but it supports several remote file access protocols and seemlessly intgrates remote file systems into the same user interface...pretty slick.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 19:21   #30

Boat: Seaward 22

I feel really inadequate reading this thread. Makes me realize I don't know what I don't know.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop