Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2013, 07:50   #1

Concise List of Compatible Platforms?

I love OpenCPN and would like to get it on another tablet. My problem is I cannot find a simple and concise list of tablets or operating systems that are compatible. The Open CPN site is not very helpful. For example, I use it on Windows 8 but the OpenCPN site says it will work on Windows 7 with no mention of 8. I am not a computer geek - i need a list that is goof proof. Does listing "Android" mean it works on all those strange sounding systems like Rasberry etc?

I also need to know if the off the shelf tablet will work or do i need (1) some additional down load or hardware or (2) some exotic work around to make it work. It would be helpful in that vein if the list was of actual tablets that told us whether the tablet had a built in GPS chip so it will work beyond WiFi or cellular service.

I could read all posts and try to compile a list of what people say they are using. Or someone has to have a list. Can anyone help me here?

Old 14-12-2013, 08:25   #2

Re: Concise List of Compatible Platforms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land an View Post
I love OpenCPN and would like to get it on another tablet. My problem is I cannot find a simple and concise list of tablets or operating systems that are compatible. The Open CPN site is not very helpful. For example, I use it on Windows 8 but the OpenCPN site says it will work on Windows 7 with no mention of 8.
Homepage updated using my 4th and 5th arm and the spare head...
Quote:
I am not a computer geek - i need a list that is goof proof. Does listing "Android" mean it works on all those strange sounding systems like Rasberry etc?
OpenCPN does not and will not run on Android. It runs on Linux, which can be installed besides Android on a lot (but sure not all) Android devices. It will run on RaspberryPi (which is not an "Android device" as you probably understand it, although it can run Android. It will also run on a great variety of other ARM hardware capable of running Linux. It will not run the same on all of them though, depending on the availablity/quality of drivers for that HW)
Installing Linux on an Android device is "easy" as in follow the steps, but not trivial as in "click here and it's done"
If you need goof proof lists, better ask someone who doesn't for help. It does not hurt.
Quote:
I also need to know if the off the shelf tablet will work or do i need (1) some additional down load or hardware or (2) some exotic work around to make it work. It would be helpful in that vein if the list was of actual tablets that told us whether the tablet had a built in GPS chip so it will work beyond WiFi or cellular service.
What is an "off the shelf" tablet? Nobody in the world will tell you in advance what will happen with a particular device - there's simply too many of them and they are changing too fast. Want to be sure? Pick a device somebody with a sufficient skillset and experience recommends. There are several threads in this forum, where such info is available. If unsure, ask. But ask a question, that actually has an answer

Pavel

Old 16-12-2013, 21:33   #3

Hey, dont shoot the messenger. I bet I am like most people here and most sailors. I am not ignorant about computers but I am not a computer geek and am not excited about elaborate tweeking to make a computer do what it should. So....

What is "goof proof"? its a software download of a program that works. Simple as that. If I have to do some elaborate configuration to make it work - at least tell me about it from the start.

What is "off the shelf" tablet? Its one that will download and run OpenCPN without also having to download patches and other software, or buying additional hardware.

So again, I know I can run Open CPN on windows 8 (even though the download page doesnt say I can do that) but I dont really know what other tablets will run it in a "goof proof" manner with that "off the shelf" tablet. If I have to read all posts to gleen from others what works and what doesnt, just say so. But if someone (like the developers) have a list, please pass it along.
Old 16-12-2013, 22:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

Folks...

Sorry, there is no definitive list.

Our focus, however, is tending toward intel-based Windows 8.1 tablets, probably using Bluetooth with an external GPS receiver.

This seems a fairly ubiquitous solution, obtainable even off-the-shelf at Walmart. I believe we can expect significant performance increases and cost reductions in this category going forward.

We are tending away from Android solutions at present, primarily due to probable performance and storage limitations on popular devices. And anyway, there is a pretty good navigation solution available for 'droids already

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mariner&hl=en

I'm planning on getting a Dell Venue 8 as the donation stream allows, and using this a our poster child for a true native implementation, with optimization...

Anyone else tried this tablet?

Dave
Old 16-12-2013, 22:12   #5

Land an...
OpenCPN does not work on anything but Windows, Linux and Mac the way you ask for. It does not work on any Android device without rooting it and installing Linux on it - that's why there's no list of devices where it does, it would be empty. We also don't provide prebuilt packages for any ARM platforms as we simply don't have such devices available. Understandable now?
Could you please point me to a page where we still don't explicitly name Windows 8 as compatible?

Thanks

Pavel
Old 19-12-2013, 18:50   #6

looks like the list of platforms has been updated. thanks.
Old 20-12-2013, 22:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
...I'm planning on getting a Dell Venue 8 as the donation stream allows, and using this a our poster child for a true native implementation, with optimization...
FWIW, I almost bought a Venue 8 Pro but decided to instead get the Asus Transformer T100 (still awaiting delivery). I liked the larger 10" screen (though about the same pixel count), and I really like Netbook form factor, which the Asus Transformer successfully revives.

This will be my first tablet of my own (I gave up on getting my wife to share our iPad with me), and the only reason I'm going with Windows 8 is because OpenCPN is so important to me. I've used OpenCPN for 4 year on Windows desktops and netbook, and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys tweak it for tablets. Thanks for creating such a great program!
Old 24-12-2013, 06:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
FWIW, I almost bought a Venue 8 Pro but decided to instead get the Asus Transformer T100 (still awaiting delivery). I liked the larger 10" screen (though about the same pixel count), and I really like Netbook form factor, which the Asus Transformer successfully revives....
FWIW, I mentioned in another thread that I'm probably going to pass on the Asus T100 because I would like a brighter screen for outside use. I'm now keeping my eye on the Venus 11 Pro to see what the reviewers say about it. But if you're looking for a low-cost tablet for testing O on a tablet, the T100 still looks like a very nice option.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: