Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 20:29   #1

Compiling OpenCPN - Error when trying to start

I compiled OpenCPN per the "Compiling for Windows" page on the Opencpn site. The compiled opencpn.exe will run fine on the computer I use to compile it. If I copy the exe to any other computer I get a error box (in win7) that says "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect". Am I compiling incorrectly?
X7JAY7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 23:25   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Compiling OpenCPN - Error when trying to start

Hi,
did you previously have OpenCPN installed and running on that other computer? If not, read http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sta-62163.html - your problem looks like MSVC redistributable related.

Good luck

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 03:57   #3

I tried it on a win7 computer that previously had OpenCPN installed. I also tried it on a WinXP machine that did not have opencpn on it before. I am getting the same error in winxp but I belive it is just worded a bit different. It said there was a configuration error when I click on the opencpn.exe in winxp.

Thanks
Old 17-06-2011, 04:03   #4

Same stuff - MSVC redistributable related. Did you try to install vc_redist.exe manually?

Pavel
Old 17-06-2011, 06:06   #5

But why would it do this on a computer that previously had and official build of OpenCPN installed?
Old 17-06-2011, 07:57   #6

You are not specific about the version that was previously installed - if it was reasonably recent and worked and you are just replacing opencpn.exe you should definitely not see these errors - at least if you also compile against redistributable 2008sp1...
But as your info is not very exact, all I can suggest is the obvious, which we've learned during the time. Until now every time we've seen these errors, they were related to MSVC redistributable. Sometimes to insufficient user rights to install it properly, sometimes to antivirus software used. Always impossible to reproduce by any of the developers.

Pavel
Old 17-06-2011, 10:02   #7

I installed OpenCPN 2.4 beta v612. I compiled that same version. I first just replaced the OpenCPN.exe and I got this error. I then deleted the Official Build (as found in the v612 thread) and used my compiled installer and I still get this error.
Old 17-06-2011, 19:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

X7.....

How about this: on a fresh compile of 612, in the VS2008 IDE, can you build and run the "opencpn" (Release or Debug) target from within the IDE? That is, do not build or run the "package" target....

This should use the dlls built-in to the VS2008 system.

Also, in "ControlPanel->Add/Remove Programs", what versions of VC runtime are installed? Before and after the opencpn installer.....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 22:00   #9

Quote:
How about this: on a fresh compile of 612, in the VS2008 IDE, can you build and run the "opencpn" (Release or Debug) target from within the IDE? That is, do not build or run the "package" target....

This should use the dlls built-in to the VS2008 system.
Yes i can run the debug and release targets.

Quote:
Also, in "ControlPanel->Add/Remove Programs", what versions of VC runtime are installed? Before and after the opencpn installer.....
On my WinXp Machine I have VC Redist 2008 x86 9.0.30729.17. This was the first install of OpenCPN on this machine. There was no VC runtime on this machine before I used my compiled installer.

On my Win7 64bit machine I have VB Redist 2008 x86 9.0.30729.17, .4974, .6161, .5570. This machine had the official beta release of .612 on it before.

Thanks
Jason
Old 17-06-2011, 22:23   #10

I got it to run but now it is looking for "wxbase28_net_vc_custom.dll" instead of "wxbase28u_net_vc_custom.dll" that the installer installs. It errors on all the dll's because it is looking for dll's with the "u" in them.
Old 17-06-2011, 23:32   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7JAY7X View Post
It errors on all the dll's because it is looking for dll's with the "u" in them.
You have to use the Unicode version of the wxWidget library.
Old 18-06-2011, 22:07   #12

When I compile the package it packages the Unicode wxWidget library. I can see unicode dll's when I use this package to install on another computer. The opencpn.exe is still looking for the non-unicode wxwidgets and errors out because it cannot find them. How do I compile opencpn to use the unicode wxwidget dll's?
Old 19-06-2011, 00:57   #13

The easiest way is to remove the non-unicode wxwidgets dlls against which you compile. Another option is to run cmake-gui and modify the appropriate values (Check Advanced and scroll down to WX_* stuff, there's a lot of it). Of course make sure you actually have the unicode dlls - you should if you followed the build instructions. The dlls that are packaged to the installer are part of the git repository and are not used for compilation.

Pavel