Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 15:51   #1

Comments on Open CPN Beta Version 3.3.1824 Build 2014-06-24

I have been using Open CPN for four years. Prior to this year I ran Open CPN in parallel with a commercial program. This year I only used Open CPN. I find the program impressive and thank those of you who have put it together.

This year I am using a new portable computer running Windows 8.1 with a touch screen. As I write this I am in Desolation Sound, BC and have been on the water for about a month. Comments:

The program stops working once or twice a day. This is a new problem that I didn’t experience on my Windows 7 laptop. Because of this I have gotten in the habit of closing then reopening Open CPN every time I add a waypoint or make other modifications. If I don’t do this, I lose the change. I click to send the error report but since I never have Internet when this happens, I don’t know if the reports are actually sent.

The program has an annoying habit of dragging a waypoint which is not even selected when I use a cursor or my finger to scroll the screen. Many times the waypoint that is moved is not even visible on the screen before the move. In the most extreme case, I was going into Ganges, BC (near the south end of Vancouver Island) with about a 5 mile radius visible on the monitor. When I scrolled the screen, my waypoint for Blunden Island, about 300 miles to the Northwest in the Queen Charlotte Strait, popped into view. Initially I was looking up the proper coordinates for the waypoint, right clicking the waypoint, selecting properties, then editing in the correct coordinates. Eventually I figured out that I could click on an unused part of the screen then right click and select undo move waypoint. Occasionally, however, the undo move option was not available.

Suggestion: When you right click a waypoint have an “undo move” function in the dropdown menu if the waypoint has been moved recently.

Every time I edit a waypoint through the properties function, the waypoint marker goes away. The marker shows at the top left hand side of the properties box, but the selected icon box says “Empty”. If you save, you lose the icon. I have learned that if I edit a waypoint, I have to reselect the proper icon in the icon selection box. BTW, almost all my waypoints were imported from my Garmin through a gpx file.

Suggestion: Fix the logic that makes the selected icon box say “Empty” in the waypoint properties box.

Over the 25 years that I’ve been cruising the Inside Passage, I’ve created a lot of waypoints and routes. One feature present in my commercial software that I miss in Open CPN is the ability to select a waypoint within a route as my navigation point. In Open CPN you can’t select a waypoint within a route for navigation unless you first activate the route. This creates its own annoyances if you don’t want to follow the route.

Request: Anytime you right click a waypoint have a “Navigate To This” option in the dropdown box even if the waypoint is part of a route that is not active.

Another feature of my commercial navigation software that I miss when using Open CPN is the ability to monitor progress on an entire route. I can see progress to the next waypoint and I can see a projected travel time under route properties based on a selected speed, but I can’t monitor progress on the route in real time using actual speed. I am aware that I can select the destination as what I monitor in the progress window.

Request: When you right click a route, add a function that pops up the entire route in a dialogue box giving the projected time to all points on the route based on either actual or, optionally, projected speed. This box would look similar to the existing route properties box.
WallyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 18:28   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Comments on Open CPN Beta Version 3.3.1824 Build 2014-06-24

I think these points should be put into Tracker. - Wally would you be willing to do that?
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 19:35   #3

I would be quite willing to put my recommendations and requests in tracker. Unfortunately, I don't know where tracker is. Would you mind sending me a link.

Thanks,
Wally
WallyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 22:03   #4

Boat: BENETEAU

Hi WallyD,

How to access TRACKER/FLYSPRAY:
Select the “tracker Button” (http://opencpn.org/ocpn/) in the upper right hand side of the menu.

How to register onto TRACKER/FLYSPRAY:
In the upper part of the screen; there is a place to register, and a place to login.
Nota: no registration gives a limited access to functionalities

How to select a category (project):
In the 2nd line of the screen (upper left Handside); a listbox with categories (project list) concerning OpenCPN and Plugins has been set.
So far, in the project list, you can select between :
All Projects
0 - OpenCPN Feature Requests [for Opencpn feature requests)
1 - OpenCPN 3.2.x Stable
2 - OpenCPN 3.3.x Beta
documentation
pi-AIS Radar
Plugin System
Short Cuts & Touchscreen

How to enter a request:
Browse through the tasklist to be sure that it is not already there; if not
>> Concerning OpenCPN :
- ask for a new functionality by address it via ‘new features’ project.
- report a bug by address it to the version of your running OpenCPN

>> Concerning Plugins:
- address by Plugin and identify "beta" or "release" and "bug" or "feature" and name (and version) of plugin.

How to close a request:
When a new version of OpenCPN and/or plugin has been released, check if your submitted requests have been taken into account, if Yes, thanks for asking for its closure.

How to vote for a request:
Select a task and click on the “vote button” on the Left handside
Use with no moderation, this is how to pinpoint what functionality is important to you.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 00:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

I would like to point out that 3.3.1824 is out and the last 3.3.1931 has many bug corrections and improvements, including screen touch and it would be better to switch to this one
I can say that at least for the crashes,because I use the same type of device and I had that behavior, and now with the last beta for about more than forty hours navigation, no crash
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 13:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyD View Post
Request: When you right click a route, add a function that pops up the entire route in a dialogue box giving the projected time to all points on the route based on either actual or, optionally, projected speed. This box would look similar to the existing route properties box.
For the active route one can enter "Now" (i.e. ">") as Departure Time in the Route Properties dialog, then adjust Plan Speed as needed.

To have different Plan Speed for every leg of the route is another story...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	active_route_plan.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	86575  
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 14:33   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Currently weather_routing is "exporting to "Tracks" to create something that is saved outside of the plugin. Tracks does have separate speed for each leg. If routes also has speed for each leg, is it correct to assume they have the same record format and fields? If so, why would it be difficult to expand to the same functionality for routes, (ie separate speeds)? --or is it just a matter of having programming time to do so?

I also wonder what the advantage of using Routes would be over using Tracks for the weather_routing plugin?
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, open cpn