Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2014, 05:12   #1

Colombian Raster JPG Charts

I wonder if anyone has had any luck, or if it's even possible to convert the Colombian Raster JPG Charts (as available at www.openseachart.org/doku.php/rnc) to KAP files for use in OpenCPN. It seems like it's probably possible with the use of the IMGKAP converter.

I am not sure I am computer savvy enough to work it out and my internet access is very limited while cruising. I am guessing if it's possible to convert these files, someone may have them already converted to kap files for sharing.

On a side note, I have DNC vector chart files for most, if not all of the world. Each region (29) is contained in a folder. There are so many sub-folders and files, I am not sure which file is the actual chart and what type of file format the chart is in. It would be nice to utilize this collection and I would be happy to share them if someone is interested but I don't even know where to begin to make them usable in OpenCPN.
SVMargarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 06:33   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Colombian Raster JPG Charts

Yes, I converted those using imgcal and bsb2kap (it was several years ago when those were the only tools). Now, I think imgkap converter and at least one more program will do the same more easily.

I would send you mine, but I too am on a limited bandwidth connection. Hopefully someone else also has them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 07:07   #3

Mark,

Thanks, at least it's good to know that it is possible with the right know how.

I will try to get a better internet connection and see if I can figure it out. My computer is 64 bit and I think that may be contributing to my difficulties with IMGKAP.

When I try to open IMGKAP, the black command screen flashes for a fraction of a second and then closes.

If someone else has these Colombian charts in a KAP format, I am specifically looking for: 004, 011, 023, 030, 044-045, 200-201, and 218.

Tim
Old 25-12-2014, 12:05   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Tim...
Imgkap is a commandline tool. The "flashing black screen" is exactly what is expected when you double click it with a mouse. It has no problem running on a 64 bit system.

Good luck

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 04:25   #5

Pavel,

Thank you, that helps to explain where I am going wrong

Tim

Tags
charts, Colombia