Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 11:20   #1

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Climatology

I have installed the climatology plugin with all the data for it to run. I have tried everything to get it to run with no joy.I keep getting a message saying there is data missing. A dialogue box comes up and asks me if I want to dowload the stuff I already have. There is another box that has a downloding symbol for el nino years.I have no idea as to what to do.
enlightenment is sorely needed.
cheers paul.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 18:18   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Climatology

If you were to read the documentation, you would find that for windows, the climatology data must reside in plugins/climatology/data/
I suggest you look through the main climatology thread and find the most current data with current averages from 1992-2011. That will be found under Opencpn Beta File Thingie (I am not sure if the sourceforge Opencpn Plugins have been updated.

Good luck, the most recent Climatology is version 03

--I now see you have installed data and are having trouble with cyclones.
How fast is your computer? How Old? This is a fair amount of data...!!!
DO NOT TURN ON ALL THE CYCLONES if you have a SLOW computer.
Turn them on only if you have need of them, and only the ones you need, maybe 2-3 of the subgroups. I have an i7 laptop and even that has a bit of a workout with cyclones, so use them judiciously. If you turn them all on, just wait, it should finish processing and drawing.

--Also earlier versions of Climatology had difficulty with Cyclones in Windows. Sean has improved that markedly, but it is still a bit slow sometimes. I would suggest getting the most recent data (on Opencpn Beta File thingie and climatology version (03)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 20:47   #3

G,day mate thanks for the heads up. The laptop is a new H.P. pavilion windows 8. I will do as you say.
cheers P.
Old 24-10-2013, 04:54   #4

Salticrak and Others,
I had another thought last night. Please note that there is a difference in performance with cyclones when you have Opengl (if your graphics card supports this) enabled in Opencpn settings or not.

Some older graphics cards have an early implementation that can even fail or be very slow with cyclones. Many machines run fine without Opengl enabled, and OpenCPN runs almost as fast and the plugins like Climatology are happier (but run a little slower) with opengl setting turned off.

You must experiment with these settings because it can affect such things as Cyclone rendering and find the best setting for your setup.

I have tested Climatology with Opengl enabled and not enabled. I have two graphics cards in this machine and have used both (turning off one or the other) and have enabled and disable OpenCPN Settings Opengl checkbox. For me, Climatology works using either card, with opengl on or off. However the point is the rendering speed varies.

Early implementations of Opengl in older graphics cards may choke! --THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AN OPENCPN PROBLEM, so please recognize this, before reporting issues. Thank you.
Old 28-10-2013, 13:54   #5

I with the help of a mate have used zygrib instead of climatology. This works for me. Thankyou rgleason for your help regarding my initial problems.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:56   #6

Yes zygrib is excellent. It does not have same capabilities with wxrouting.