Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 21:08   #151

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Climatology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sean, Good news! Climatology compiles with MSVC Windows, and it runs in Debugger! The isobars seem to be working for everything as I checked them on and had to adjust a number of Data Type spaces considerably lower to get isobars showing:
Wind 100 --->5
RH ---->5
Sea temp ---->10 etc
Sea Level Pressure ---> 1 or 5
I think some bug corrupted your setting in the config. Default for new users should be sane. This can be tested by removing them from the conf file.

Quote:
The Cyclones don't seem to show up yet. I tried a number of settings but no luck yet.
Try checking not available in el nino years to see if that helps
Quote:
There are a few unit problems and one interface problem I think.
Sea Level Pressure - uses millibar and mmh - are the values changing correctly?
Actually applying the units was not implemented... I forgot about that I just added it.
Quote:
Could not tell.
Sea Depth shows Knots and MPH. Need feet and meters
RH shows Meters and Feet needs %
Cloud Cover shows Othas whatever that is, why not %
Ok fixed these.
Quote:
About does not seem to work with the Html showing.
Does It show blank or does it do something bad? Do you have ClimatologyInformation.html in the data directory?
Quote:
Then the interface problem in Config is with Wind, Current, Cyclones and About
The "Standard Displays" tab works fine.
Wind tab - needs to just show Wind without a drop down selector for data type.
Current tab - needs to just show Current without a drop down selector for data type.
Cyclones tab - needs to show it's settings which are missing, with no dropdown seleector.
About - needs to load the html file.
I probably need screenshots for these. Is it different on linux?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 21:55   #152

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I think I have fixed the unit problems now in git.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:55   #153

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
I think some bug corrupted your setting in the config. Default for new users should be sane. This can be tested by removing them from the conf file.
I was the bug, I think. Opencpn.ini is pretty nice I think. Deleted Climatology plugin section and settings. Started MSVC Debug mode for Opencpn 3.3.604, went to settings > plugins > enabled climatology.

Code:
The Cyclones don't seem to show up yet. I tried a number of settings but no luck yet.
                                Try checking not available in el nino years to see if that helps
Can't because the General Displays Tab screen is showing under Cyclones and it covers the Cyclones settings.

See attached screenshots for each Tab General display, Wind, Cyclone, About please.

Also the About tab shows the General Display Tab too, so possilbythe html is loading ok but we just don't see it.

I think this is working very differently than the Linux version, but have not opened Ubuntu, but yes I believe this menu works differently under windows than linux.

Will Now git clone again, and see what you've done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-Config-Confusion-Cyclones-Tab.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	62168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-Config-Confusion-About-Tab.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	62169  

Name:	Climatology-Config-Confusion-Wind-Tab.png
Views:	203
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	62170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-Config-Confusion-General-Tab.png
Views:	148
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	62171  

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:57   #154

Git cloned Climatology, MSVC build and Debug Cliimatology.

Went through each Data Type, exercising Overlay map, Isobars, Spacing etc. and checking Units. Found a few problems....that can be fixed I believe. Generally much much better.

See screenshots below please:

Sealevelpressure = Shows 8 or 10 everywhere depending on mmH or milibars, so Isobars don't work and values don't work.

Sealeveltemp = Shows 44 over all land.

SeaDepth = Units are "unknown" is this in feet or meters or fathoms? There are definite values shown. Perhaps it is 1000's or 10,000's Do you want me to find out?

Cyclones = Found several traces of cyclones out near Austrailia, when set on All months, but we are missing much of the cyclone data, however something is working.

Break several times when try isobars with sealeveltemp, doesn't say much....
Quote:
KernelBase.dll!75633219()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for KernelBase.dll]
> wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxTrap() Line 678 C++
wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxStringBase::wxStringBas e(const void * pStart, const void * pEnd) Line 192 C++
Quote:
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for KernelBase.dll]
> wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxTrap() Line 678 C++
wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxStringBase::wxStringBas e(const void * pStart, const void * pEnd) Line 192 C++
As a result have to stop debugging. Also would like to have Isobar progress bar with "Cancel" if it takes too long. Think the initial isobar setting was the problem, set on "1".

I think it is not remembering my previous settings (corrected-it is remembering). It starts out fresh each time and I have to enable each Data Type each time. Just shows Wind, Current, Cylone checkboxes and I have to reset all units each time I open. ---not a great situation. ---Wait a minute.. It bombed with Breaks, so it did not have a chance to save. Now, if I close the plugin having set the units for all the data types, it saves those settings! Also if I enable a data type to show in the main plugin window, and then close Climatology, that setting is saved. --This is good. Also I really like being able to turn on and off things for each data type interactive/realtime with both windows up. That is useful! -You want to check for precip, just turn it on momentarily, even check isobars, then turn it off. It gets hung up I think if spacing is too small, and isobar routine has too much work to do.

Suggested Isobar spacing initial values
Wind = 5 for Knots, MPH, KPH and M/s
Current =2 for Knots, MPH & KPH (smaller for M/s)
Sea Level Pressure (Values not right showing milliinches=10 or mmH=8 so Isobar not working.)
Sea Surface Temp >25 initially (too dense otherwise) F & C
Air temp = 5 works with F & C
Cloud Cover = 10 %
Precip = 40 works for inches (Perhaps CM instead of meters? Similar measurement value?)
Relative Humidity =5 %
Sea Depth = 5 to 10 right now, Units are "Unknown" yet there are numbers. Perhaps it is in 1000's of feet or perhaps 1000's of meters?

Generally this is working much better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climatology-SeaLevelPressure-All-10-and-Isobar-Not-working.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	62173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-SeaLevelPressure-mmH--All-8-and-Isobar-Not-working.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	62174  

Name:	Climatology-SeaTemp-farenheit-44 for land.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	62175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-SeaDepth-UnknowUnits-1000feet-1000meters.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	62176  

Name:	Climatology-Cyclones-near-AUS-but-not-all-also-No-cyclone-Settings.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	62177  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05   #155

In Linux Virtualbox Ubuntu, just checked earlier version of Climatology (not most recent git clone) and the Climatology Display window, then Climatology Configuration each tab (Standard Displays, Wind-enable, size, spacing, opacity, Cyclones -start,end date, min wind, max pressure, etc, About - shows Html.

So it works fine, but windows version is missing something in each tab..
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45   #156

Now I'm going to git clone in Linux Ubuntu the following:

climatology_pi
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/climatology_pi.git

weather_fax_pi
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weatherfax_pi.git

weather_routing
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi.git

watchman_pi
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/watchman_pi.git

rtlsdr_pi
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/rtlsdr_pi.git

celestial_navigation
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/celestial_navigation_pi.git

to make sure they are current in Linux. Then I'll do that for Windows MSVC too and will update the dll's in Opcn File thing, if they work in Windows

Sean, if you were to let me know which plugins have not had any further changes, that would be helpful, so I won't waste time git cloning again. I will also git your updates for Climatology and Weather_routing when you so advise.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54   #157

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Sean, if you were to let me know which plugins have not had any further changes, that would be helpful, so I won't waste time git cloning again. I will also git your updates for Climatology and Weather_routing when you so advise.

Rick

Check this link. It shows the update status of Sean's Git repositories.
https://github.com/seandepagnier?tab=repositories

Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 14:30   #158

Here are some of the the Date types displayed with their screens for Linux, using Seans great pllugin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climatology_pi-Wind-Cyclone.jpg
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	62195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-config-Wind-tab.png
Views:	121
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	62196  

Name:	Climatology-config-Standard-SeaSurfTemperature.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	62197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-config-Standard-Pressure.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	62198  

Name:	Climatology-config-Standard-Precipitation.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	62199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-config-Standard-Display-tab.png
Views:	126
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	62200  

Name:	Climatology-config-Standard-Cloud-Cover.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	62201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-config-Standard-Airtemp.jpg
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	62202  

Name:	Climatology-config-Sea-Depth.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	62203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-config-Cyclones-tab.png
Views:	192
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	62204  

Name:	Climatology-config-About-tab.png
Views:	185
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	62205  
Old 09-06-2013, 18:19   #159

Chuck,

Quote:
Check this link. It shows the update status of Sean's Git repositories.
https://github.com/seandepagnier?tab=repositories
Thanks very much. This one is pretty good too, chronological
https://github.com/seandepagnier?tab=activity

Found some incredible programming he's done under repositories. - Sean is a whiz genius I think, but I probably shouldn't say that or it will go to his head!
Old 09-06-2013, 21:18   #160

Sean,
Git Cloned, Climate, Wx-Rte, Wx-Fax, Watchman, Rtlsdr and Celestial. Then updated the Climate Data with the most current from tonight. There are definite improvements to Units problem in Climatology, and most of the Isobars are working now. Thanks for puttng back the progress bar wiith cancel, helps when the spacing is toooo small. Hitting cancel does not seem to stop it all the time, have to Stop Debbuggging and that stops the high disk and CPU.

I am wondering why I have to set Units for each of the data types. Shouldn't that be done when the plugin is first initallized? I would think I would just be changing the units that I want changed, but evvery data type would have some unit showing in config screen, as it is now it is empty. Then I have to close the plugin or if I bomb out they will not be saved.

From Before:

Sealevelpressure = Shows 8 or 10 everywhere depending on mmH or milibars, so Isobars don't work and values don't work. FIXED

SeaSurfaceTemp SST= Shows 44 over all land. FIXED, now do not see the land. Aslo Isobars is having trouble with this data, too many contours! Set it on 25 spacing and it still hangs up, high cpu & disk. Hit Cancel and nothing happens, so have to Stop Debbugging, which wipes out all the Unit settings and each one has to be entered again. I hit the X cancel in upper left and click on the Pllugin Icon and it still does not stop or close. So I have to Stop Debbug now. Start Debug, reads data slower than Linux, but it reads... Yep all units are lost. Okay turn of Isobar before check in Display window. Then change spacing to 50 or greater which works. -- Is tthis the right data now? Are you sure the web address is right? -See screenshot, might make a great tie if one ever wears one.

SeaDepth = Units are "unknown" is this in feet or meters or fathoms? There are definite values shown. Perhaps it is 1000's or 10,000's Do you want me to find out? - I believe the data is in Meters. I think the link for Sea Depth http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/data.nodc.woa98.html
in the climatology.HTML file

has changed to
ESRL : PSD : NODC World Ocean Atlas 1998

Basin Index Mask Multiple basin.nc
Maximum Land/Sea Depth Index Mask landseadepth.nc
I think it is in Meters please see below.
Levels:

Depth in meters at 0.0, 10.0, 20.0, 30.0, 50.0, 75.0, 100.0, 125.0, 150.0, 200.0, 250.0, 300.0, 400.0, 500.0, 600.0, 700.0, 800.0, 900.0, 1000.0, 1100.0, 1200.0, 1300.0, 1400.0, 1500.0, 1750.0, 2000.0, 2500.0, 3000.0, 3500.0, 4000.0, 4500.0, 5000.0, 5500.0.
Depth in meters at 0.0, 10.0, 20.0, 30.0, 50.0, 75.0, 100.0, 125.0, 150.0, 200.0, 250.0, 300.0, 400.0, 500.0, 600.0, 700.0, 800.0, 900.0, 1000.0, 1100.0, 1200.0, 1300.0, 1400.0, 1500.0.

Precipitation - Turned on Isobars and it worked, then put spacing down to 7 from 50. It hung up running. Hit cancel on progress bar and nothing happens. Try unchecking the Precip in Display window, then uncheck Isobar in the Confiig window. Nothing happens have to shut down Debug

Suggested Isobar spacing initial values
Wind = 5 for Knots, MPH, KPH and M/s
Current =2 for Knots, MPH & KPH (smaller for M/s)
Sea Level Pressure =10 - Millbar, mmH,
Sea Surface Temp >25 initially (too dense otherwise) F & C
Air temp = 5 works with F & C
Cloud Cover = 10 %
Precip = 40 works for inches (Perhaps CM instead of meters? Similar measurement value?)
Relative Humidity =5 %
Sea Depth = 5 to 10 right now, Units are "Unknown" yet there are numbers. Perhaps it is in 1000's of feet or perhaps 1000's of meters?

Cyclones = Found several traces of cyclones out near Austrailia again, when set on All months, but we are missing much of the cyclone data, however at least something is working.

The llast thing is that the TABS in Config, are still not working correctly in Windows.

Got to hit the hay!!!
====

This happened with SeaSurfaceTemp, not much to go on...
Code:
>    wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxTrap()  Line 678    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!DoShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msg)  Line 753    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppTraitsBase::ShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msgOriginal)  Line 557 + 0x9 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxGUIAppTraitsBase::ShowAssertDialog(const wxString & msg)  Line 635    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!ShowAssertDialog(const wchar_t * szFile, int nLine, const wchar_t * szFunc, const wchar_t * szCond, const wchar_t * szMsg, wxAppTraits * traits)  Line 836 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxAppConsole::OnAssertFailure(const wchar_t * file, int line, const wchar_t * func, const wchar_t * cond, const wchar_t * msg)  Line 445 + 0x22 bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxOnAssert(const wchar_t * szFile, int nLine, const char * szFunc, const wchar_t * szCond, const wchar_t * szMsg)  Line 713    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxTimerWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam)  Line 198 + 0x41 bytes    C++
     user32.dll!756862fa()     
     user32.dll!75686d3a()     
     user32.dll!75686ce9()     
     user32.dll!756877c4()     
     user32.dll!7568788a()     
     user32.dll!756ac81f()     
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::PreProcessMessage(tagMSG * msg)  Line 124 + 0x14 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::ProcessMessage(tagMSG * msg)  Line 74 + 0x11 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoop::Dispatch()  Line 294    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEventLoopManual::Run()  Line 115 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxAppBase::MainLoop()  Line 312 + 0x15 bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxAppBase::OnRun()  Line 368    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntryReal(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 448 + 0x1b bytes    C++
     wxbase28ud_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(int & argc, wchar_t * * argv)  Line 209 + 0xd bytes    C++
     wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll!wxEntry(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, HINSTANCE__ * __formal, int nCmdShow)  Line 386 + 0xe bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInstance, HINSTANCE__ * hPrevInstance, char * lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)  Line 748 + 0x1c bytes    C++
     opencpn.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 547 + 0x2c bytes    C
     opencpn.exe!WinMainCRTStartup()  Line 371    C
     kernel32.dll!763c33aa()     
     ntdll.dll!77c69ef2()     
     ntdll.dll!77c69ec5()     
     wxbase28ud_net_vc_custom.dll!wxInternetFSHandler::OpenFile(wxFileSystem & __formal, const wxString & location)  Line 129 + 0xca bytes    C++
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Climatology-Cyclones-near-AUS-but-not-ALL-also-No-cyclone-Settings---2nd-Time.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	62219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climatology-Cyclones-ONLY-near-AUS-Break.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	62220  

Name:	Climatology-SeaSurfaceTemp-SST.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	62221  
Old 10-06-2013, 05:12   #161

Sean, sent an email to you with response to your questions. I think the win Isobar problem can be fixed, don't know about tabs problem, but Wx-rte Boat tabs work fine. See the email please. Climatology release version, in 3.3.424 shows units and has good default spacing after deletion of opencpn.ini climatology sections, and fresh startup of 3.3.424 and enable climatology.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:36   #162

Sean, just decided to run Make -K again out of gendata dir. Git clone climatology brought "track.spa.dat" down to gendata and I see you now have wget for the other track files from unisys. Great. Thanks.

Maybe this will fix the cyclones not showing in windows version (except near AUS).
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05   #163

With Sea Depth in Meters - scale should be about 500, perhaps that should be the initial default value, or isobars routine starts to choak even in Ubuntu which runs faster than windows for isobar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeaDepth-spacing-500.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	62253  
Old 10-06-2013, 10:57   #164

Hi,

I try to compile some plugins for Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 32bit and I have an error like below:

"kubek@hp6910p:~/opencpn/plugins/build$ cmake ../climatology_pi/
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
--
-- *** Staging to build climatology_pi ***
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:63 (INCLUDE):
include called with wrong number of arguments. Include only takes one
file.

-- Found Gettext: /usr/bin/msgmerge
-- Found BZip2: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libbz2.so
-- Looking for BZ2_bzCompressInit in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libbz2.so
-- Looking for BZ2_bzCompressInit in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libbz2.so - found
-- Found ZLIB: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so (found version "1.2.3.4")
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:129 (INSTALL):
install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for shared library target
"climatology_pi".

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:142 (INCLUDE):
include could not find load file:

../PluginLocalization.cmake

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:143 (PLUGIN_LOCALIZATION):
Unknown CMake command "PLUGIN_LOCALIZATION".

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!"

Could anybody help me? what is wrong?
I am new to Linux version of OpenCPN.

Kubek
kubek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03   #165

Boat: Phantom 19

Kubek...
This is not how it works...
Let's say you are in top opencpn's directory and you don't have the plugin code yet:
Code:
cd plugins
git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/climatology_pi.git
cd ../build
cmake ..
cmake --build .
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle