Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-01-2015, 12:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Class A AIS - Pilotplug - GPS position

I was testing O 4.0 today by connecting to a class A kongsberg seatex AIS by using the pilotplug(to USB) in addition to my exsisting GPS ( Digital yatch dualnav usb @115200 baud and proiority 0)

The AIS seems to display everything as excepted in opencpn (normal AIS speed and priority 1).

For a test, I disconnected the usb plug to the GPS to check if the system was able to get position from the AIS. It seemed that the system as expected was able to continue to operate with correct position from the AIS, but I noted on the dachboard plugin that GPS satelites and statusbar was not displayed when using only the AIS as position refeence.
As soon as I plugged the usb gps back, it took only a few seconds before the gps status was back.
Tests proved that disconnecting and hot swapping the ais and gps usb plugs while opencpn was running worked fine and that the system always continued to operate perfect on the secoundary position reference.
The system is running Xinutop Linux.

It might be that the dachboard GPS status is by design not able to display when using an AIS pilotplug cable ??

Old 28-01-2015, 13:32   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Class A AIS - Pilotplug - GPS position

Petter,

what would be important here is to have a VDR file or at least a screenshot from the NMEA debug window.

The Sats in view are from the GSV sentence and as far as I know AIS devices will not transmit this sentence from their standard output.
Cutting the GPS you will not have the GSV information.

Usually you will have to merge the GPS sentences going into the AIS to get this information on output.

Hubert

Old 28-01-2015, 14:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

I assume the same as you, that the AIS does not transmit the gps information. This makes me wonder: If you use two gps , one with priority 0 and the other with priority 1 connected to the system, then the system will always use and display the one with the lowest priority as long as it is able to make a fix on the position, and then only start to use the one with less priority if the first one fails ? if not, how would will the system handle multiple position sensors with different priority ? And how will the dachboard plugin display gps status in a such configuration ?
Old 29-01-2015, 09:05   #4

Boat: Kelt 8.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by petter5 View Post
I assume the same as you, that the AIS does not transmit the gps information. This makes me wonder: If you use two gps , one with priority 0 and the other with priority 1 connected to the system, then the system will always use and display the one with the lowest priority as long as it is able to make a fix on the position, and then only start to use the one with less priority if the first one fails ? if not, how would will the system handle multiple position sensors with different priority ? And how will the dachboard plugin display gps status in a such configuration ?
OpenCPN will use the GPS with the highest priority first. The greater the number, the highest the priority...

JM

Tags
ais, gps, plug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: