Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 12:41   #886
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Charts II: NGA - 2700 Charts

I like to hear this!

What about the recursive charts (inset in inset)?

And what about the corner values?

And those nice charts with more than 4 corners?

Patience and a long run for everybody.....

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45   #887

Boat: Phantom 19

z.stadler...
Please note it in the chart comments, so we don't forget to handle it. I will have a look next time I will fight that JavaScript hell behind the form...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:50   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
z.stadler...
Please note it in the chart comments, so we don't forget to handle it. I will have a look next time I will fight that JavaScript hell behind the form...

Pavel
Done.
In addition, I have deliberately skipped entering the cornet data to keep this chart from progressing along the approval path
z.stadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:11   #889

Quote:
@recri: the 90/270 degrees rotated charts will most likely look bad in the validation routine - it's necessary to switch the image width and height for the charts having 90 or 270 in the prerotate column of the stats page.
Actually, they look fine -- the code only looks at the REF point coordinates and the corner coordinates, and the x's and y's are always longitude and latitude wise, the original chart image width and height never get consulted.
recri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:18   #890

Quote:
@all: Be patient waiting for the server to generate the KAPs in the next 24 or so hours - it will be generating bigger corner cut-out images for the charts where they were not covering enough area. I will break the process to smaller batches, but still it will take quite a few hours when the backend will not do anything else. It will probably take more than 1 iteration to get rid of all of them - I don't want to make the images too big to save the bandwidth both on the server and your side. Now there's 317 of them, so let's see how many will get left if we increase the size by 500 pixels.

Report any problems you observe
The first corner cut off that I tried, 21180, failed.

Positioning the small cross in SW corner never displayed anything but blank white in the magnification window. Switching to other corners, the small cross disappeared. Finally got a small cross position in the SE corner which displayed the magnified chart corner, but the small cross is out in the white border and the coordinates recorded are out there, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21180-corner.png
Views:	124
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	32357  
Old 04-10-2011, 14:24   #891

recri...
The coding needed for the bigger corners is not finished, I will let you guys know when it is.

Pavel
Old 04-10-2011, 17:35   #892

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I need a little help with 27163. It appears that someone entered the data before it was rotated. The corner data is OK but the ref points are messed up. The little square with a plus is missing for 3 corners and "reset" doesn't do anything. I set the status to broken in other way - can't set ref points.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:32   #893

More work ready

I've extended the corner cut-outs size to 2000x2000 pixels for the marked charts. From the handful I've looked at it's sufficient for about 50% of the cases. List of all the charts at NGA Charts project stats
Please flush the browser cache before you start working on these - some browsers tend not to refresh the images, JavaScript and CSS files changed while implementing this.
If the chart corners are still not covered, just set the status back to Rectangular, not doable in Phase 1 because the corners are not visible on cutout and they will be extended further in the next iteration (sorry for a little extra work, but I really have no better idea how to save effort and bandwidth at the same time)
So far tested just in Firefox and Chrome on Windows. If you find any problems, let me know.

Brainstorming question:
Anybody has any brilliant idea how to collect the info about the inset charts without having to create a list manually?
The source of (most of) the data are the PDF catalogs published by NGA - It's possible to convert most of them to some more friendly format like text or HTML - I've put the source and conversion results at https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5c...OTJjYTIx&hl=en
The final product I would really like to have should look like https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&hl=en#gid=0
I really hate the idea of having to copy and paste all the info manually - it's more than 700 charts, resulting in several thousand of records to be created, so any idea which will save us this work appreciated.
I have a list of the chart numbers that have insets and/or plans and no, I don't have time to write any parser myself...

Cheers

Pavel
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59   #894

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Nohal,
I'm having trouble with the latest set of charts (corner out of range) e.g. 24404. When I try to set the refs 1. I move the box to a corner 2. nothing shows in the right hand panel. 3. I moved the box around until I see something in the right panel and it doesn't mirror where the box is.

Have tried 3 different charts with similar results. Crome browser.

edit. OOPS foxfire works properly
edit 2. Crome works after I cleared the cache.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48   #895

Quote:
Brainstorming question:
Anybody has any brilliant idea how to collect the info about the inset charts without having to create a list manually?
The source of (most of) the data are the PDF catalogs published by NGA - It's possible to convert most of them to some more friendly format like text or HTML - I've put the source and conversion results at https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5c...OTJjYTIx&hl=en
The final product I would really like to have should look like https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FE&hl=en#gid=0
I really hate the idea of having to copy and paste all the info manually - it's more than 700 charts, resulting in several thousand of records to be created, so any idea which will save us this work appreciated.
I have a list of the chart numbers that have insets and/or plans and no, I don't have time to write any parser myself...

Cheers

Pavel
Glancing through the text file I see some diversity that makes parsing a bit more complicated.

For some charts the information is ordered by row:
chart no
chart title
chart scale [optional]
panel name
panel scale
comment [optional]
for example:
Great Bras d'Or, St. Andrews Channel and St. Anns Bay
Plans: A. Entrance to Great Bras d'Or
B. Otter Harbour
C. Entrance to St. Anns Harbour
(Plans not shown on index)
For other charts the information is ordered by column:
chart no
chart title
panel name
comment [optional]
chart scale [optional]
panel scale
for example:
Plans in Georgian Bay
Owen Sound Harbor
Meaford Harbour
Collingwood Harbour
In the case of "by column order", it will require a bit more than a simple parser to associate the plans with their respective scales.

Any thoughts?
z.stadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56   #896
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Region 5 charts with "corner cut-outs extended":

from 49 --> 17 "corners not visible"

Next loop...

Cheers

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15   #897

Boat: 29'

..maybe it'd work to type the Plan specs into the Comments Field as we go along?...many hands make light work.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 13:49   #898

Quote:
Originally Posted by z.stadler View Post
Glancing through the text file I see some diversity that makes parsing a bit more complicated.
Any thoughts?
That particular section, Lake Huron, needed to be fixed by hand, as well as one entry in N. Africa. I skipped nga10.txt because it only has one inset (Hudson/James Bay) and it needed a lot of parser mods since it uses alphanumeric chart names.

I can generate a table of chart number, inset/plan/... title, scale which generates 1868 entries, about 72K of text. I'll clean up the plan titles and upload it somewhere.
Old 05-10-2011, 15:00   #899

Quote:
Originally Posted by recri View Post
I can generate a table of chart number, inset/plan/... title, scale which generates 1868 entries, about 72K of text. I'll clean up the plan titles and upload it somewhere.
Rather less it turns out, but still too much for the forum limits. This link should be open to all to read:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hnZkE&hl=en_US

I don't think you should take the subtype that seriously, it's rather random what the catalog specified and whether I picked it up.
Old 05-10-2011, 17:36   #900

Boat: 29'

oooh!that was fast!nicely done!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts