Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 12:56   #511

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Charts II: NGA - 2700 Charts

Hubert,
if you have some spare time, you can continue in the calibration. We will not throw away the data or change something significantly. I suggest not filling in the coordinates when they contain decimals in the seconds - it will be easier to detect values not entered than values entered wrong, but all the rest will be usable. Even filling just the general chart info is very useful as it gives me the priorities for the backend functions and quantities of the different chart types and occurence of the problems to handle.

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 13:14   #512

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I cleared the browser cache again and restarted the browser, and now the whole system works fine. It's very easy to use once you see how it works. Many thanks, Nohal and Netsurfer!
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:22   #513

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I started at the top of Region two and "did" the first fifteen charts. Of those, only 5 were "doable in Phase 1". Another was doable, but had decimals of seconds in the corner coordinates. One of the doable charts was from a nineteenth century survey, was not usable with GPS, and did not even have the projection specified.

Nohal, can you take a look and see if I am doing this right? A number of these charts were not rectangular because there was a piece of the chart that stuck out beyond the edges of the rectangle (around a headland, for example). Should we declare these "doable in Phase 1" or just wait?

This is really an amazing program you guys have developed, by the way. But as you work closely with the charts, you realise they were really developed for use as paper documents. This will be a lot of work, but we can do it!
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 20:45   #514

Boat: 29'

TiaBu,those with bits sticking outside the rectangle?better not do them yet,in Phase One.They'll need a more complicated border...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 23:47   #515
Marine Service Provider

do you have a link to the chart calibration web page
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 23:57   #516

Richard...
The calibration is integrated into NGA Charts Status at OpenCPN.info (English) - registration needed

Pavel
Old 01-09-2011, 00:38   #517

As you may have probably noticed, it's now possible to enter seconds with decimals, so even the large scale charts can now be taken care of precisely. Many thanks to Netsurfer for the quick fix to the page.

Pavel
Old 01-09-2011, 00:57   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
If you will check whether the chart is OK and it will not be for whichever reason, let me know - this process is in very early stage of the development and I'm sure it's not perfect. The more glitches we discover early, the better.
Hi Pavel

Something seems to have failed with 37205. The resulting kap is only 2KB. I can't see any error in the input.

Paul
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:10   #519

Paul...
There's a 1 pixel difference in the picture size we calculated for the image and the actual size of the rotated image produced by convert. Originates from rounding.
Will fix the toolchain shortly to work in such a situation.

Pavel
Old 01-09-2011, 01:29   #520
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Hi Pavel,

seconds with decimals in 52119 and 52121 are fixed now.
The scale value for 52121 has to be fixed. Chart says 1:60.000, not 1:75.000.

- I understand that we should just work with rectangular charts with no inserts in this moment.
- What about charts that are rotated 90 or 270 degrees? Or slightly skewed charts?
- How should the issue of inserts/multiple inserts be tackled? I remember a proposal to name the resulting sub-charts nnnnn-m, where m is 1, 2, 3...

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:36   #521
Marine Service Provider

I have calibrated 54412 Bodrum I think ok Resultant kap file only contains header data no image

regards

Richard
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54   #522

Coordinate entry problem:

I'm finding quite a lot of NE corners that are blank, presumably because of an unexpectedly wide margin at the top.

37005 is a case in point.

Any action we should take before this gets sorted out?

Paul
paulr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
seconds with decimals in 52119 and 52121 are fixed now.
The scale value for 52121 has to be fixed. Chart says 1:60.000, not 1:75.000.
Changed in the database - not even the values coming from NGA are perfect...
Quote:
- I understand that we should just work with rectangular charts with no inserts in this moment.
We don't care much about insets for now, they will just be another KAP we will create later (lot of work in the backend and lot of work to calibrate them). Right now just mark the chart as "Rectangular, partly doable in phase 1..." if it has insets and we will get back to it later to calibrate the plans.
Quote:
- What about charts that are rotated 90 or 270 degrees? Or slightly skewed charts?
90, 180, 270 Mark them with the status "Rectangular, not doable in Phase 1 because of the 90 degrees skew".
Slight skew - calibrate the points normally if possible, the backend takes care of the rotation. I'm actually very interested in charts with rotation bigger than 1 degree to see how well the algorithm performs on them.
If not doable, set the status to "Rectangular, not doable in Phase 1 because of the scan skew"
Quote:
- How should the issue of inserts/multiple inserts be tackled? I remember a proposal to name the resulting sub-charts nnnnn-m, where m is 1, 2, 3...
We will have a facility to do this... Either by accepting KAP headers as submissions or directly on the web. All this still has to be implemented. We have to try to parse the PDF chart catalogs to get the metadata first to save ourselves part of the manual work.

@Richard: 54412 fixed, same issue as 37205. Now the backend ensures that the header is in accordance with the picture size. Both KAPs generated OK now.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:01   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
Coordinate entry problem:

I'm finding quite a lot of NE corners that are blank, presumably because of an unexpectedly wide margin at the top.

37005 is a case in point.

Any action we should take before this gets sorted out?

Paul
Yep, we are aware of this, set the status of such charts to "Rectangular, not doable in Phase 1 because the corners are not visible on cutouts" and fill in what's possible.
There will be quite a few of them, but we are not sure whether enough to complicate the web or whether it will be less time consuming to handle them manually.

Pavel
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15   #525
Marine Service Provider

Kap generation now working great. I have QA'd in Mapcal and SeaClear and Opencpn

thanks

Richard

Tags
charts