Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 00:32   #1201
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Charts II: NGA - 2700 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
+1
As far as I was trying to decipher it, it seems to me that at NGA and Maptech their software has a similar dropdown and their employees must have similar questions which nobody answers...
In the NGA catalog, almost all the insets are marked as PLAN, followed by INSET and just a few are PANEL. I'm really not sure whether I would call a plan something at 1:500000, but maybe for them the main key is that the plan is any more detailed chart of an object also visible on the base chart?
I don't think it's very important though - the only place where this value is used is the .BSB file listing the charts originating from the same paper source (and not used by any chartplotter I've ever seen)

Pavel
The same game with the main chart or panels. Sometimes we find main chart + panel and another time just various panels for the same configuration.

I will see if I have time to pull a mini how-to together later this afternoon.

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33   #1202

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

How do we delete a panel? In 27084 we need to delete Panel A as it was already done as a full size chart.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:35   #1203

Boat: Phantom 19

David...
For now just keep note of it somewhere. It's first on my to-do list.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40   #1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The same game with the main chart or panels. Sometimes we find main chart + panel and another time just various panels for the same configuration.

I will see if I have time to pull a mini how-to together later this afternoon.

Hubert
For reference, the Maptech BSB File Format Test Dataset Instructions for Raster Navigational Chart (RNC), available from the IHO, says:
Since many paper nautical charts contain one or more chart panels, the designation “base” refers to the main chart panel while an “inset” pertains to a larger-scale coverage for a harbor or particular area of interest.
"Panel" seems to be the generic name for both the "Main" chart and additional "Insets".

There is no reference in this document for a "Plan". Maybe "Plan" is just a synonym for a chart or a drawing?

Zeev
z.stadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23   #1205

All...
You can now delete the unneeded insets (select a row that should be deleted and click the trashcan icon in the lower left corner of the list).
Hubert has written an addition to the calibration manual, so if you feel unsure how deal with the inserts, have a look at https://github.com/downloads/ngachar...ets-how-to.pdf
If you missed the morning post or are just unsure where to start, the best place is NGA Charts project stats - at least all the charts mentioned there need some touches.

Pavel
Old 03-01-2012, 10:27   #1206
bcn

Quote:
All...
You can now delete the unneeded insets (select a row that should be deleted and click the trashcan icon in the lower left corner of the list).
Hubert has written an addition to the calibration manual, so if you feel unsure how deal with the inserts, have a look at https://github.com/downloads/ngachar...ets-how-to.pdf
If you missed the morning post or are just unsure where to start, the best place is NGA Charts project stats - at least all the charts mentioned there need some touches.

Pavel
Added features. So I will have to update the manual already...

Anyhow as always: comments and proposals are very welcome!

Hubert
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13   #1207

How can I correct a chart title?

Chart 57201 title should be "Port-Gentil and Approaches", as printed on the chart, rather than "Approaches to Port-Gentil".
Old 03-01-2012, 12:33   #1208
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by z.stadler View Post
How can I correct a chart title?

Chart 57201 title should be "Port-Gentil and Approaches", as printed on the chart, rather than "Approaches to Port-Gentil".
I would say "no way". That's the official title from NGA as depicted from their site. Asking NGA to correct it ?

Hubert
Old 03-01-2012, 14:29   #1209

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
I would say "no way". That's the official title from NGA as depicted from their site. Asking NGA to correct it ?

Hubert
I'm not shure I agree. I think I would prefer what is printed on the chart. It is the chart that I'll be using on Opencpn, not the database.
In the above example the two titles are essentially the same anyway; but in 25848 the database title for the inset is "Puerto Haino" and the chart reads "Approaches to Puerto Santo Domingo"

Using the same argument : if a plan is labeled a on the chart I hope that we don't rename it to something else, too confusing.
Old 03-01-2012, 16:46   #1210

Guys...
This kind of issues will most likely keep arising, but I will definitely treat them as corner cases with very low priority until everything else is handled. Until we will have a system to track the chart issues integrated into the calibration website, I would prefer if you could fill stuff like this in https://github.com/ngacharts/ngacharts/issues - a lot easier for me not to forget than the messages here. Please if you decide to fill a chart issue, use the chart number as a title. If you don't, just bomb me with these once in a while and I will sure implement something to handle it sooner or later.

Pavel
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53   #1211
bcn

Strange case: 52186, Tunis

the main chart is the inset.......

Proposals how to handle this??

Hubert
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58   #1212
bcn

More strange things :

in the Inset statistics appears a 51141 under
"Charts with defined insets without extents set"

A chart with that number does not exist

Hubert
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00   #1213

Hubert...
I would personally handle 52186 exactly as you did.
51141 was a wrong entry, now deleted.

Pavel
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12   #1214
bcn

An observation:

when editing a "Not doable in Phase one - composed...." chart, please check if the (main) chart datum data are set (projection, WGS, meter/fathom, ..)

There are a lot of charts where after a first categorization no data has been filled in.

Hubert
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26   #1215

Quote:
Guys...
This kind of issues will most likely keep arising, but I will definitely treat them as corner cases with very low priority until everything else is handled. Until we will have a system to track the chart issues integrated into the calibration website, I would prefer if you could fill stuff like this in https://github.com/ngacharts/ngacharts/issues - a lot easier for me not to forget than the messages here. Please if you decide to fill a chart issue, use the chart number as a title. If you don't, just bomb me with these once in a while and I will sure implement something to handle it sooner or later.

Pavel
Note that one needs to have github account to fill issues there...

Tags
charts