I know nohal et al are working on a web-based calibration solution. I have NO desire to interrupt or disrupt that effort. But do you guys expect it will be easier/quicker than this, which a few of us have tried and seems to work?:
1. Download the newest version of GE2KAP from Paul's website.
2. 2. Convert the jpg to a png:
nconvert -out png -resize 30% 30% -colors 64 24402.jpg
Note: we are now using the "colors" parameter
If you need to rotate the chart then add the rotate parameter:
nconvert -out png -resize 30% 30% -colors 64 -rotate 270 25001.jpg
(or using Microsoft Office Picture Manager- a GUI program that seems to handle the big files with ease)
Reduce size to 30% of original size and convert to a .png file. Rotate the chart if necessary. Changing the color parameter doesn’t seem to be necessary to produce a quality chart, at least with this method.
3. Then do the calibration wth MapCal. Don't forget the two calibration points in upper right and lower left and the border around the actual chart.
4. Run GE2KAP, put the png in overlay field and check the "Create kap from overlay...."
5. To test the chart in OpenCPN
: Load it into an active chart directory, start OpenCPN
and Force a full database rebuild
This whole process can be all GUI interface. It only takes me (a non-programmer) about ten minutes to calibrate and create a usable .kap chart from the .jpg’s currently in the repository. I know nohal and others are working on a web-based program to do this, but will it be faster or easier than the above? If so, does it make sense to wait for it?
It looks like the process above might be simple enough and fast enough for a lot of folks to start working on the calibrations now. We would need to know where to upload the finished charts
, and we would need someone to quality check the charts
as Cagney suggested far above (by opening them in OpenCPN and using the cursor to check the lat/lon of a few lat/lon line intersections on the chart). The checker(s) could perhaps flag any charts that need to be recalibrated. The weight of opinion in the discussion above seems to indicate that we should leave any Notice to Mariner updates until a later stage?
I’m a recent volunteer to the effort (was out sailing in July), and BY NO MEANS want to hijack or disrupt the work process with this suggestion. And I certainly could be saying something stupid or missing the obvious. Please don’t hesitate to correct if I’m off-base here.