Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 12:19   #1

Boat: Cape George 36' Cutter
Charts for Download

Are Canadian charts available to download for free using the chart downloader?
James_Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 12:50   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: Charts for Download

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Armstrong View Post
Are Canadian charts available to download for free using the chart downloader?
No way! Canadian charts are not available for free download.
The best deal for up to date Canadian charts are the newly released Canadian oeSENC vector charts.
https://o-charts.org/shop/index.php?...gory&id_lang=4
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 13:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Alternatively you can get a Canadian chart set for use in Aqua Maps. I’m pretty sure they are not completely up to date.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 18:16   #4

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The best deal for up to date Canadian charts are the newly released Canadian oeSENC vector charts.
Do these work seemlessly in open cpn? How come my download of open cpn 5.0 doesn't have a download charts button on my Mac?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 18:53   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Do these work seemlessly in open cpn?
Yes.
Quote:
How come my download of open cpn 5.0 doesn't have a download charts button on my Mac?
About which button are you talking exactly? And how much outdated your macOS version is?
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:01   #6

Boat: Norseman 447cc

When using the o-charts charts you don't use the chart downloader built in to OpenCPN. You have to install the oeSENC plugin and set up an account at o-charts | Vector Charts for OpenCPN. From there you will be able to select the charts you wish to purchase and download them for use in OCPN. They work well, are reasonably priced, and you get a year's worth of chart updates as part of the chart purchase. There is reasonably useable documentation on the o-charts web site explaining how to get set up and install them here https://manuals.o-charts.org/oesenc_en_US.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Do these work seemlessly in open cpn? How come my download of open cpn 5.0 doesn't have a download charts button on my Mac?
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 15:49   #7

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Yes.

About which button are you talking exactly? And how much outdated your macOS version is?

i hope that explains it. The previous version i had of OCPN on winduds had a download charts button to the right of the tides and currents button. Don't see one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
When using the o-charts charts you don't use the chart downloader built in to OpenCPN. You have to install the oeSENC plugin and set up an account at o-charts | Vector Charts for OpenCPN. From there you will be able to select the charts you wish to purchase and download them for use in OCPN. They work well, are reasonably priced, and you get a year's worth of chart updates as part of the chart purchase. There is reasonably useable documentation on the o-charts web site explaining how to get set up and install them here https://manuals.o-charts.org/oesenc_en_US.html
Thanks

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 17:30   #8

Boat: Phantom 19

The next maintenance release will again contain a custom built libarchive so support for your system should be restored.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, loa