Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2011, 19:25   #1

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
Charts Do NOT Open Promptly when Building Routes

I'm sure there is another setting or something that needs to be tweaked. As I move my position to the edge of an existing chart, I enter the "black" edge of world area. It takes some clicking and checking charts at the bottom of the screen to load the adjoining chart. It normally comes up, but it might be a minute or so, and it is frequently pointing the wrong way and then reorients to North up.

I'm using NOAA charts, have quilting enabled, and do a forced rebuild on the database regularly. Any idea why the charts don't appear on demand?

Thanks,

Bill

PS..just updated to 2.5.0
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 20:10   #2

Boat: Tollycraft 34' Tri-cabin
Re: Charts do NOT open promptly when building routes.

I not sure I can help but you say you have quilting on. So why would you every move off a chart? Is it because there is no chart for that area? But I see that your thread says you have one.

When I try the same thing I can't find any black areas the chart just keeps panning in the direction I am trying to build the route, even when I go beyond my charts the boarders are there.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 22:34   #3

Boat: 29'
Re: Charts Do NOT Open Promptly when Building Routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
I'm sure there is another setting or something that needs to be tweaked. As I move my position to the edge of an existing chart, I enter the "black" edge of world area. It takes some clicking and checking charts at the bottom of the screen to load the adjoining chart. It normally comes up, but it might be a minute or so, and it is frequently pointing the wrong way and then reorients to North up.

I'm using NOAA charts, have quilting enabled, and do a forced rebuild on the database regularly. Any idea why the charts don't appear on demand?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
can you say what the charts numbers are when this happens ?A geographic area.or is it a general thing everwhere on the US coast?and, also,are you running just the BSB type ?or a Vector type? or both together at the same time?

And have you double-checked the tweaks in the tools available in the toolbox.There are some new ones
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 06:48   #4

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:

Thanks,

Bill

It sounds like you are using vector charts and have quilting off. Vector charts are really slow to load because all the data has to be ingested by the program, then rendered as a chart. If you turn on quilting it takes longer for the program to start up as it loads all the charts at once. You won't have so much delay later in your session, though, because the charts will (mostly) already be loaded.

If you switch to using just raster charts and have quilting on things should go a lot faster for you. Raster charts load faster because the program doesn't have to render them. They are image files that pop up fast.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:02   #5

Thank you for your comments. Just finished downloading new charts for the East coast...CG Regions 1,5,7. After removing all BSB and KAP files from their individual folders, the charts are now directly under Toolbox/charts. Drive was de-fragged and then the chart database was rebuilt.

Any difference..yes, it now only takes several seconds for the new chart to appear after I click in the black area. Quilting is definitely enabled.

I also downloaded "ENC" charts, but did not bring them into OpenCPN yet. Can OpenCPN use an ENC chart.

Here is a screen shot of the "black edge of the earth" before clicking to load the next chart.

Thanks for your help,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	33807  
Old 18-11-2011, 16:50   #6

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Thank you for your comments. Just finished downloading new charts for the East coast...CG Regions 1,5,7. After removing all BSB and KAP files from their individual folders, the charts are now directly under Toolbox/charts. Drive was de-fragged and then the chart database was rebuilt.

Any difference..yes, it now only takes several seconds for the new chart to appear after I click in the black area. Quilting is definitely enabled.

I also downloaded "ENC" charts, but did not bring them into OpenCPN yet. Can OpenCPN use an ENC chart.

Here is a screen shot of the "black edge of the earth" before clicking to load the next chart.

Thanks for your help,

Bill
Bill...
from the screenshot it's obvious that quilting is disabled - when it's enabled, the blue rectangles in the status bar have rounded corners and the white borders of the charts are invisible - recheck your settings and re-read Chart Quilting | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 16:50   #7

Boat: 29'

...Bill,I'm not familiar with the chart pictured what is it's number?but anyways,"Several seconds" for a chart like that seems way slower than it should be... It might be because the chart is tilted.These have been problematic sometimes especially if the charts have been discovered to be screwed up in their innards ...
If you've got quilting on,it's obvious that chart hasn't any quilting border in its innards.You shouldn't see all that border.Maybe that helps explain the delay too.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 17:01   #8
Marine Service Provider

Bill....

This is a skewed chart, which cannot be quilted by OpenCPN.

Also, it seems that you are set for "Show skewed charts as North Up" in the Toolbox. This is the default. It is also, unfortunately, relatively slow to render.

I suggest when making route, to use standard northup charts in quilt mode. Avoid selecting the skewed charts manually for best performance while route creating.

Thanks
Dave

p.s. I knew the former owners of Charbonneau, Blaine and Janet.....
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 18:22   #9

If you look at the chart selection buttons the skewed charts will have a red slash indicating they are not included in the chart quilt. If you select one of them it temporarily turns off chart quilting and displays the skewed chart by itself. The delay you're experiencing is caused by rotating the skewed chart to put north at the top.

You're looking at 11541, a skewed chart (what NOAA used to call a Small Craft Chart). If you switch to 11543 you'll lose all the soundings for the ICW. Not much of a choice, but it isn't OpenCPN's fault, it's NOAA's. In that region you'll get a better response by using ENCs. US5NC51M shows soundings in Bogue Sound if you're zoomed in enough. The inlets aren't charted. I guess you have to rely on the aids to navigation or local knowledge to run them.

I know that doesn't solve your problem but at least now you know what's going on.

Fabbian
Old 19-11-2011, 14:08   #10

Thank you everyone! At least I now know why it's happening.

As a test ENC charts were added and the database rebuilt. WOW..great detail...but does it have to update every time the cursor moves to a new map? I tried moving the cursor from Beaufort, NC to the west coast of Florida...impossible because of constant updating! So I removed the ENC charts. Any way around this issue?

Bill
Old 19-11-2011, 15:32   #11

You don't need to remove the ENCs, just don't select them. OpenCPN will display either RNCs or ENCs but not both at the same time. So use the RNCs when you can, select an ENC when you must (and only when you are zoomed in enough that you won't have tons of charts in the field of view). The delay while ENCs load is overwhelming when you're planning a trip, but unless you have a really fast boat it won't be nearly so much of a problem when you are running the route.

Fabbian

Tags
charts