Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 13:36   #676

Boat: Custom 1981
Send a message via ICQ to Kona Send a message via MSN to Kona
ICW for newbie... need help

Hello reader... I just bought a boat in Hudson Florida... Inside the gulf of Mexico... I intend to bring the boat back home in Canada through the Intracoastal... Unfortunately, I cannot find concise information on where to start... waypoint list, etc... I heard that there is way to cross florida from west to east (vice versa) but cannot find a bit of a clue of an idea of a entry waypoint, nor a chart.

If anyone out there can give a hand I would really appreciate...

Also, I am now only a few days before departure and I cannot find a partner to help me at least up to Norfolk... Do you think a 30 years experience sailot that has over 35,000 miles done can do it alone ???

Thanks
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 18:39   #677
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Hello reader... I just bought a boat in Hudson Florida... Inside the gulf of Mexico... I intend to bring the boat back home in Canada through the Intracoastal... Unfortunately, I cannot find concise information on where to start... waypoint list, etc... I heard that there is way to cross florida from west to east (vice versa) but cannot find a bit of a clue of an idea of a entry waypoint, nor a chart.

If anyone out there can give a hand I would really appreciate...

Also, I am now only a few days before departure and I cannot find a partner to help me at least up to Norfolk... Do you think a 30 years experience sailot that has over 35,000 miles done can do it alone ???

Thanks
I went down ICW from Chesapeake to Florida. It can be definitely done alone with some preparation.

The way to cross Florida is by means of lake Okeechobee canal, it shaves a whole lot off the trip. However, the canal can get very shallow at times (depending on rains, and how the water is managed) so it is wise to check with local authorities. Here is a link to the map location: Google Maps

For ICW travel there are cruisers websites that talk specifically about conditions and issues in various parts of ICW (mostly about where a new shoal is and how to run aground only once or twice a day )

I think there are quite a few ICW discussions elsewhere on this forum.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:47   #678

Boat: Dufour 35
Marco

I had reason today to check your charts relating to the Samoan Island of Savai'i and noticed a few things. OpenCPN complains about "Chart georef accuracy is poor" for more or less all harbour plans.
For NZ865_6 and NZ865_5 one of the reasons probably is that you treat Gnomonic charts as Transverse Mercator. As Dave has introduced some basic support for polyconical projection, this might be a better alternative until there is proper support for gnomonic projection.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:50   #679

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Marco

I had reason today to check your charts relating to the Samoan Island of Savai'i and noticed a few things. OpenCPN complains about "Chart georef accuracy is poor" for more or less all harbour plans.
For NZ865_6 and NZ865_5 one of the reasons probably is that you treat Gnomonic charts as Transverse Mercator. As Dave has introduced some basic support for polyconical projection, this might be a better alternative until there is proper support for gnomonic projection.

Thomas
Ciao Thomas.

all those charts have been extensively tested under OpenCPN 136 and they worked rather well (with no complains, even from ocpn log).

I notice that now 210 has some problem. Well, those charts are the only in NZ set (if I remember well) that are not in WGS84, so they need a DTM parameter in the header different from 0,0. Maybe Ocpn 210 does not handle properly this parameter.

Can I ask Dave to check one of those carts and try to give us back some analisys? I attached here the smallest of those charts (a Mercator one) for convenience.

Ciao, Marco.

Note: I added a shot of 865_6 showing in quilt mode in PolarView.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	865_6.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	16737  
Attached Files
File Type: doc NZ86_7.kap.doc (88.1 KB, 71 views)
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11   #680

New Zealand Charts, CHARTCAL-V26, May 2010

Hello. Here is new version of New Zealand Charts Portfolio for you. Changes from V25 to V26 involve ALL maps.

I changed the date format so now OCPN and other SW chan show the date of the latest map update. I also corrected some spelling (New Zeland in New Zealand...)

In the latest month LINZ has released NTMs and updates affecting 9 charts:

NZ5571_1, NZ5571_2, NZ5214, NZ5323, NZ5323_1,
NZ5323_2, NZ7132_1, NZ7132_2, NZ7132_3

If you want them, download the new ChartCal-V26 ( MCE66 - Software ) and rebuild with KapGen all the charts (but first delete the tif files of the above list of maps from /Img folder if you have already downloaded or built them). In the /bin folder you can also find a KapGenAll.cmd script that may halp you: just delete the same tif files from /Img and all charts from /BSB folder before use it...

Of course you can also just download the already built charts file you can find at the same above location ( MCE66 - Software )

Let me know. Ciao, Marco.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:21   #681
Marine Service Provider

Marco....

Thanks for the chart.

I found a bug in the 2.1.0 that affects all Mercator charts with DTM offsets. A simple typographical error. With this fix, the attached chart georef is fine.

I will have a new Beta in a couple of hours with this patch included.

btw, this chart seems a little off compared to cm93. I would be interested in your comments on this when you see the corrected version soon. I guess we will always wonder about the accuracy of cm93 in cases like this....

Thanks again for all the effort on the NZ portfolio.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36   #682

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
... I will have a new Beta in a couple of hours with this patch included ... Dave
Dave, why don't you take 15 minutes for lunch, and then get back to us (smile)?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:34   #683
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
More charts of the Danube

Someone e-mailed me a couple more links to another stretch of the Danube.

The links can be found at the link in my sig, last row of the second section.

This comes close to completing the Danube coverage.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:34   #684

Quote:
btw, this chart seems a little off compared to cm93. I would be interested in your comments on this when you see the corrected version soon. I guess we will always wonder about the accuracy of cm93 in cases like this....
Dave
Hi Dave, these charts are really old and have an unknown datum (even if some WGS84 shifts are sometimes reported). After some tests I was not satisfied so I decided to align those charts (changing the DTM) to Google Maps as much as I could (hoping I've not made errors here...). Maybe not the best solution but I think the only better way would be to go there with a GPS to check georef... Really a good reason to go to Samoa!

Of course I'm really interested on better alignement if you have other type of data source.

Thanks Dave for your effort.

Ciao, Marco.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09   #685

Quote:
Marco....

I just checked Marcos Samoa charts with 607a, and they are quite good now. Comparing a couple of points I found good agreement with cm93.
Talking about trusting CM93.....
Last autumn I mentioned in an other thread on this (larger) forum that Ceva-i-Ra, aka Conway Reef, south west of Fiji was totally missing in all editions of CM93.
This is no longer the case. I have had the opportunity to take CM93_2 2010 for a spin. Sure enough Ceva-I-Ra was there. But where exactly? The crowd at cmap must know something that The NZ Hydrographer and the Fiji Government doesn't know about this Fijian reef, because they have placed it 7.2 M Bearing 260 from the official position.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conway.png
Views:	216
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	16779  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51   #686

Boat: Fantasia 35
Thomas,

Where does GE say it is?

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22   #687

Boat: 110mtr Lyaemer
Belgium, the dutch speaking part that is, has free downloadable IENC's too.
NtS - Instellingen

Gerard
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:24   #688

Quote:
Belgium, the dutch speaking part that is, has free downloadable IENC's too.
NtS - Instellingen

Gerard
Thank you for the information. I added Belgium to the OpenCPN.org list, that now have links to 10 European countries publishing free IENC:s.

Thomas
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40   #689

Boat: 110mtr Lyaemer
Aperently on vnf.fr there should be french inland charts as well.
Maybe someone french speaking/reading can check it.

Gerard
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59   #690

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
Maybe someone french speaking/reading can check it.
There is also an English version of the site available:
http://www.vnf.fr/vnf/home.vnf?lang=en&action=vnf

Gunther

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb