Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-01-2010, 11:15   #511

Chartcal-v20

Hi all, at last... here it is.

This version of CHARTCAL covers the whole New Zealand Nautical Charts Portfolio: counting maps and plans it is composed of 320 charts. I've double checked all the maps and I found:

two charts with goeref errors (ref points in slightly wrong position)
one chart suffering a cutting error (cut was done 10 pixels below than expected)

I did also many improvements to about 30% of charts (just adding ref points in specific position) to avoid problems with the georeferentiation algo of OCPN (now all charts pan almost correctly). Anyway I still think OCPN should improve its georef algo.

I did also some small realignment of non-wgs84 charts: I aligned those old charts with the most recent ones and with Google Earth.

I've also released a new KapGen (beta06) and a new mc2bsbh (beta09). Those new releases improve the KAP header for a wider compatibility.

The 27th of january LINZ released 3 renewed maps: NZ55 - NZ5215 - NZ14638

So I suggest the following process to people that have already build some maps with old chartcals:

- Download Kapgen beta 06 and unzip over old KapGen folder (allow file substitution).
- Delete the NZ55.tif, NZ5215.tif and NZ14638.tif from Img folder to allow KapGen to re-download latest LINZ images.
- Delete ALL maps (.kap files) from the BSB directory
- Rebuild with KapGen the MAPs of your interest or, if you want to build the whole set, go in /bin folder and launch KapGenAll.cmd

Far lazy people and for linux users I also built all the maps in a single file (143.97MByte) uploaded to DepositFile

Please download all those stuff from MCE66 - Software where you will also find the link to the File uploaded on deposit file (I don't put it here since I can in the future update my web page but not this thread...)

Even if I put all the effort I could, no guarantee can be given about these free stuff. Use at you own risk. Let me know about errors, suggestions, etc.

Of course a big thaks goes to all people that helped me in this "adventure" making test, suggestions and also just giving me their "moral support".

Enjoy your New Zealand maps and...

Buon Vento a tutti.

Ciao, Marco.
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:46   #512

Boat: Wasa 410
Greatly done Marco,
Which I was close to a making a trip down there...

/J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:57   #513

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Thanks Marco!
You guys are so helpful to us Computer Illiterates.

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 14:05   #514

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
Greatly done Marco,
Which I was close to a making a trip down there...

/J
+1 ...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 18:20   #515
GDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS-Marco View Post
George, have you tryed the map NZ6823_1.kap attached to the thread #499 It is built with a bit different header. Let me know.

Ciao, Marco.
Marco,

That file worked. I see you've since posted an update to your portfolio. If I do the update can I expect those files to work in maxsea also?

george
GDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 00:54   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
Marco,

That file worked. I see you've since posted an update to your portfolio. If I do the update can I expect those files to work in maxsea also?

george
Great George! I think so (they use the same header). You have to download the new KapGen beta 06 to build the new charts or download the full KAP chart set from Deposit file. Details here MCE66 - Software. Give it a try and let us know (please check all charts, expecially ones crossing 180° longitude and mercator charts).

And what about Nobeltec?

Ciao, Marco.
Old 30-01-2010, 02:55   #517

Boat: Dufour 35
Congratulations Marco, to the release of a complete set of NZ Charts.
There has been a lot of progress in chart converting within this OpenCPN community in less than 6 month.

It was only in mid August that Sinbad wrote:
Quote:
The libbsp is supposed to be able to convert to .KAP format but nobody I know have been successful in doing so.
And on August 19:th I was dreaming about converting NZ tif pics, after some problems with the "old" raster2bsb program.
Quote:
One day I give it another go. I have my eyes on those big kiwi .tif - files. Check these Chart Images.
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:31   #518

Maxsea

Quote:
Great George! I think so (they use the same header). You have to download the new KapGen beta 06 to build the new charts or download the full KAP chart set from Deposit file. Details here MCE66 - Software. Give it a try and let us know (please check all charts, expecially ones crossing 180° longitude and mercator charts).

And what about Nobeltec?

Ciao, Marco.
Maxsea 12.6.3 complains about these charts and fails to open them. (pic)
A sample of chart info from Maxsea for a mercator chart (pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImagNZ.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	12887   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImagNZ3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	12888  

Old 30-01-2010, 04:49   #519

Quote:

And what about Nobeltec?

Ciao, Marco.
Re crossing 180° longitude, chart 14900 displays fine. AFAIK Maxsea does not pan across 180°

PS re some thread somewhere here, Maxsea detects a null angle of rotation (pic) "0° V" on chart 14900 (could be 0° Vrai = 0° True (not magnetic))
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImagNZ4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	12889  
Old 30-01-2010, 05:31   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Maxsea 12.6.3 complains about these charts and fails to open them. (pic)
A sample of chart info from Maxsea for a mercator chart (pic)
Checking one chart Maxsea complains about, I have trouble opening chart NZ23 in OpenCpn too (I put it in a 'private' folder for testing). The red outline on CM93 is there, but the blue status mark and thumbnail can only be had if the chart outline is on the left hand side of the screen. When I click on the blue ribbon, I get the black screen with the red outline. When I pan to the center of the screen, the chart opens briefly than closes, and back to CM93.
Hope that helps
Old 30-01-2010, 05:54   #521

(Sorry for that stream of consciouness)
The right hand side of chart NZ23 is spot on 180°.
Now I can open NZ 23 as long as the chart left border is on the right hand side of the screen...It vanishes when I drag the chart to the left.
Old 30-01-2010, 09:22   #522
GDD

NZ charts

Hi Marco, I followed the directions you posted to update Kapgen and replace 3 .tiff files. The new set opens in maxsea. I had no trouble panning around. Charts that across the equator are fine, and you can't pan across 180 degrees. Two charts gave an error message when loading, they are 14065 and 23. In nobeltec the names of the charts show up with some error when I select them, but after they load nothing is displayed. See image.

George
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NOB_1.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	12893  
Old 31-01-2010, 07:31   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
Hi Marco, I followed the directions you posted to update Kapgen and replace 3 .tiff files. The new set opens in maxsea. I had no trouble panning around. Charts that across the equator are fine, and you can't pan across 180 degrees. Two charts gave an error message when loading, they are 14065 and 23. In nobeltec the names of the charts show up with some error when I select them, but after they load nothing is displayed. See image.

George
Hello George.

Could you please try in Nobeltec the attached three versions of NZ6823_1? I really do not know what may be... Just a try.

About chartcal-V20:

For NZ23 the problem was a rounding error in MapCal. The chart exactly finishes at longitude 180.000000, but MapCal saved the CHARTCAL calibration data with the PLY reported as 180.00002157602 making with this micro error the chart crossing 180° longitude, but still having all refs points <= 180°. Well I manually changed the PLY to 179.99999 to force the chart not to cross 180° long even in case of small roundings. It should work now.

For NZ14065 and all the other having problem in maxsea, I realigned the calibration points to the pixel. Hope this help but I cannot be sure.

I'll release new chartcal-21 with these mods soon. Let me know about Nobeltec.

Ciao, Marco.
Attached Files
File Type: doc NZ6823-test.zip.doc (99.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 31-01-2010, 10:35   #524
GDD

NZ charts in nobeltec

Quote:
Hello George.

Could you please try in Nobeltec the attached three versions of NZ6823_1? I really do not know what may be... Just a try.

Ciao, Marco.
Marco,

I've made the V20 charts work in Nobeltec. I"m sorry but the problem was all my fault, I had some silly setting turned on that stopped nobeltec from showing anything except the base map. That said, the samples you sent of 6823 are improved in that they don't come up with funny characters in the chart names. I hope you didn't spend to much time on this.
Can't wait to use these when I get to NZ !
George
Old 31-01-2010, 11:38   #525

CHARTCAL-V21

Here we are,

after first feedbacks, I released an improved version of CHARTCAL. Changes from V20 to V21 are only for 7 maps:

NZ23
NZ86_2
NZ5124_2
NZ5323_2
NZ14065
NZ14051
NZ14061

Please, download new ChartCal V21 ( MCE66 - Software ) and rebuild above charts (if you have older versions).

Let me know. Ciao, Marco.

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb