Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 07:46   #406

Jakobsson du har ett PM

Leif
Wester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38   #407

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsson View Post
I've noticed there are some users from (or originally from) northern europe / scandinavia. I'm wondering what kind of charts you are using. On my old PC I've been using an old version of fugawi, can I migrate those charts and use them in OpenCPN?

If that won't work, what are my options? Mostly interested in charts covering the swedish archipelago (westcoast), but dreaming and planning might require more charts ...

Best Regards,

Jakobsson
There is a fair chance that you can reuse those charts.
Can you describe the directory structure and file names for those old Fugawi charts?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 16:46   #408
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsson View Post
I've noticed there are some users from (or originally from) northern europe / scandinavia. I'm wondering what kind of charts you are using. On my old PC I've been using an old version of fugawi, can I migrate those charts and use them in OpenCPN?

If that won't work, what are my options? Mostly interested in charts covering the swedish archipelago (westcoast), but dreaming and planning might require more charts ...

Best Regards,

Jakobsson
I'm using selected charts from 'Det levende søkort', which I (with the help of a friend) have converted to BMP and then to BSB (through mapcal, libbsb etc.) and also calibrated to Google Earth and to a program called 'Ownmap' on my HTC Android. I have not yet done any sailing with OpenCPN.

It's always possible in any navigation program to convert any chart by cutting out in pieces and stitching together to one chart again. However timeconsuming.

The problem with 'Levande Sjökart' is that it's a closed and proprietary format (.IT), that require you to buy a navigation program also. In Denmark I have tried to convince Dansk Sejlunion to market the charts independently, but I never heard from them . I guess the situation is the same in Sweden.

Charts from Delius Klasing and NV-Verlag should be readable for OpenCPN also, - but depends on the actual version of the BSB-format used. I don't know whether they are using BSB formats younger that OpenCPN. Anybody else knows?

Annother possibility could be C-map from Jeppesen (now Boeing?), - they are claimed to be S57-format, however again I don't know the actual version and possibilities. But I think I saw a thread about that some time ago.
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:50   #409
GDD

chart format conversion

Hi,

I have been using the tool introduced on this thread to convert NZ tiff images to BSB. I noticed that the Kapgen program saves an .hdr file midway through the process. Is this an HDR file like the old HDR chart format?

I have HDR charts that I would like to be able to open in opencpn. I've mentioned this in the feature request section but have had no response. Is there any chance that the software tools being used the kapgen program could be used to convert HDR charts to BSB?
GDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 19:51   #410
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
Hi,

I have been using the tool introduced on this thread to convert NZ tiff images to BSB. I noticed that the Kapgen program saves an .hdr file midway through the process. Is this an HDR file like the old HDR chart format?

I have HDR charts that I would like to be able to open in opencpn. I've mentioned this in the feature request section but have had no response. Is there any chance that the software tools being used the kapgen program could be used to convert HDR charts to BSB?
Post an example of a HDR file you have, and let's see. It may be close, but I think the .hdr used by BSB 2 is different. But, who knows, maybe we could put together a program to convert it.

EDIT: Huh, it's cool what documentation can be found. After looking at this page in the OpenCPN documentation, it looks like the format is far different. Maybe not for the HDR (I don't know), but at least for the graphics. Still, post an example.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:32   #411

Quote:
Hi,

Hi, the .hdr file saved during the kapgen conversion is the BSB header. There is no relationship with the HDR format (even if I do not know anything about HDR format...).

Ciao, Marco.
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01   #412

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Hi,

The old HDR charts from Resolution Mapping ,Maptech and Imray is discussed in the "Open Chart Standard" thread starting with mr Don B. Cilly's first post, also, read the wiki link in Dacust's post.

To summarize the situation. HDR charts can be converted to bsb charts, but at the moment you have to go the same procedure as with all other chart images, meaning geo-reference them manually or with a tool like MapCal and then convert them.
There are in most cases, binary header files available for each HDX charts, that seems to short to contain geo-referencing data. Perhaps this data was built into the original chart application?
If the geo-referencing data becomes available, it will be possible to batch-convert these charts to a format readable by OpenCPN.
Any help in this area will be welcome.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02   #413

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Hi all..

With regards to the Chartconverter mentioned earlier,please note the following comments from the author:

The sorce code will be available in the next version. At this time i must first debug the software.

The converter is written in Visual Fox Pro - I think it runs only on Windows or Mac PC but I don't have the mac-compiler !
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07   #414

Just to let you know that for the time being OpenSeaChart is NOT WMS compatible although OpenStreetMaps IS... Don't know what can be done about a nautical version until it as well as OpenCPN becomes WMS compatible.
Old 12-01-2010, 14:59   #415

I am working on a map overlay technique and need to have the two .png maps in identical scale. OpenSeaMap for example does not show the exact scale of the maps.
Is there an automatic way to do this with some utility?
Old 13-01-2010, 01:58   #416

Scale OpenSeaMap

Hi Sinbad7

the Scale from OpenSeaMap is very exact. Open Street(Sea) Map has 18 Zoomlevels Level Zero is the hole World on one Tile (256x256px) See this page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames
and you understand how it works

Leo
Leo12305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 04:28   #417

Thanks Leo..

Yes,the geo loc system of OpenSeaMap seems very accurate based on a large number og calibrations I have carried out. However,my immediate problem is to find an easy way to calculate the excact scale (1:200.000 etc.) of a screen captured bitmap chart without any annotation of scale other than I--1nm--I or I--2km--I.
There must be some conversion program available to do this calculation based on the input of the width of the map and the distance per (inch?)

I need this for the accuracy of transparent map overlays I am experimenting with.
Old 13-01-2010, 05:02   #418

Quote:
Thanks Leo..

Yes,the geo loc system of OpenSeaMap seems very accurate based on a large number og calibrations I have carried out. However,my immediate problem is to find an easy way to calculate the excact scale (1:200.000 etc.) of a screen captured bitmap chart without any annotation of scale other than I--1nm--I or I--2km--I.
There must be some conversion program available to do this calculation based on the input of the width of the map and the distance per (inch?)

I need this for the accuracy of transparent map overlays I am experimenting with.
For example I have an OpenSeaMap showing the scale as 1nm/inch or 2km/inch. Using the attached calculator,I eventually arrive at a scale of 1:72960

The scale of OpenSeaMap is only shown as whole numbers and are not sufficiently accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale calc.png
Views:	770
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	12582  
Old 13-01-2010, 05:34   #419

scale

Hi Sinbad7
I wrote a program that convert a aeria of Sea or Street Map to Maptech Chart for the bsb header I calculate the scale for each. You can download this from the new OpenSeaMap homepage. This home page is started to Düsseldorf BootShow. Or you give me am email-adress and I send you some charts.
leo
Leo12305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 05:46   #420

Hi Leo..

Can't find your conversion program for download at the OpenSeaMap homepage?
Only a couple of charts which are available for download.
I'd be very interested to try your scale calculation program.
e-mail me at: tore@yachtmarine.com

Tags
charts, kml, raster2bsb, tiff2bsb, bsb