Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 18:28   #1

Boat: Pearson 35
Chart Status Bar Bug

OpenCPN 4.6.1, Win10 Creator, Surface 3

Chart Status bar icons change to all black (both filled and hollow) when selected. Hover over chart bar does not function.

Both functions work normally on Rpi3. (Actually Rpi3 runs better all around with 4.6.1 - a reversal from previous versions)
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:16   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Chart Status Bar Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
OpenCPN 4.6.1, Win10 Creator, Surface 3

Chart Status bar icons change to all black (both filled and hollow) when selected. Hover over chart bar does not function.

Both functions work normally on Rpi3. (Actually Rpi3 runs better all around with 4.6.1 - a reversal from previous versions)
I have Win10 Creator system and do not see this problem. Can you try with and without OpenGL to see if that affects the issue. Also, look in opencpn.log for any warnings or errors.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:20   #3

OpenGL was turned off. Now that OpenGL is turned back on, the chart status bar does not go to black. However, mouse over does not display chart info. Right click does show chart info, but you cannot hide the chart.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:52   #4

I should have said holding down the right mouse key shows the chart info, not right mouse click. Still no ability to turn off chart.
Old 01-05-2017, 16:44   #5

Quote:
I should have said holding down the right mouse key shows the chart info, not right mouse click. Still no ability to turn off chart.
What kind of charts do you have?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:58   #6

Charts are BSB3 from various sources US, Brazil, New Zealand, etc, and US ENC charts both offshore and inland.

Addins are Status bar 0.6, VDR 0.4 (not active), Grib 4.1, Dashboard 1.2, and WMM 1.1.

OpenCPN was upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5.x beta to 4.6.1.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:34   #7

Quote:
Charts are BSB3 from various sources US, Brazil, New Zealand, etc, and US ENC charts both offshore and inland.

Addins are Status bar 0.6, VDR 0.4 (not active), Grib 4.1, Dashboard 1.2, and WMM 1.1.

OpenCPN was upgraded from 4.4 to 4.5.x beta to 4.6.1.

Hope this helps.

Then I don't know what to tell you. I have almost the same setup and don't have this issue. Can you try removing status bar plugin temporarily? I don't have that plugin so maybe there is some odd interaction.
Old 02-05-2017, 21:09   #8

Problem must have occurred when upgrading to 4.6.1. Rpi3 was a clean install. Complete uninstall / fresh install on Windows cured the problem along with a scaling issue and flopping between enc and raster charts when zooming. All is good.
Old 03-05-2017, 15:17   #9

Quote:
Problem must have occurred when upgrading to 4.6.1. Rpi3 was a clean install. Complete uninstall / fresh install on Windows cured the problem along with a scaling issue and flopping between enc and raster charts when zooming. All is good.
Ok, glad it is working. In future if anything like this happens save (rename) soem files from the data folder (usually c:\ProgramData\opencpn) opencpn.ini and navobj.xml and post them in a .zip file renamed .pdf. That's probably where the bug is triggered. If the bug can be cornered like that it can be fixed.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:29   #10

Apparently the upgrade was not the cause of the problem. New installation worked fine out of the box. I then configured the addins and it failed again. I also included the logs, as they may shed some light. It will take a bit to rebuild the system as I have many charts, but in the meantime - here are the files
Old 05-05-2017, 12:28   #11

I have narrowed it down further. The problem occurs when you have enable the touch screen interface and use a mouse. It doesn't always turn the chart icons black, but it does do some strange behavioral things, including strange chart behavior when zooming in and out. It is reversible by turning off the touch screen interface - so it is safe for you to try it. It took awhile for me to narrow it down. So in the meantime, I will just keep the touch interface turned off. Cheers, Dave
Old 07-05-2017, 07:31   #12

Quote:
I have narrowed it down further. The problem occurs when you have enable the touch screen interface and use a mouse. It doesn't always turn the chart icons black, but it does do some strange behavioral things, including strange chart behavior when zooming in and out. It is reversible by turning off the touch screen interface - so it is safe for you to try it. It took awhile for me to narrow it down. So in the meantime, I will just keep the touch interface turned off. Cheers, Dave
I can reproduce the problem. It should not happen in OpenGL mode so if you can use OpenGL mode that is the best workaround.

I think it can be fixed for non-OpenGL mode at about line 1031 in piano.cpp

Code:
        case DEFERRED_KEY_CLICK_UP:
            ShowBusy( false );           // Turn off busy mode
            if(m_hover_last >= 0){              // turn it off, and return
Old 07-05-2017, 12:03   #13

Problem occurs in both OpenGL and non OpenGL if touch is enabled. That is not a big deal though - I just leave it off.

However, I did find the problem with the ENC chart anomaly I observed on the Windows machine. OpenCPN decided that a NY 1:5000 ENC chart should be included in the chart list - no matter where I was - Miami or Houston - it didn't care. When I zoomed in, it wanted to paint the NY chart, but that was off the screen since I was in Houston or Miami. Deleted the chart, rebuilt the database, and now zooming ENC charts works fine.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:16   #14

You may want to have a look at the OpenCPN.log file. See if there are any messages regarding OpenGL problems. It sounds like you may not have a working OpenGL driver.

If you can describe exactly the steps needed to get the black piano buttons I will try to find the issue.

Also, if you like, you can post a copy of your OpenCPN.ini file (rename it .doc first). Maybe there is a setting in there that affects OpenGL mode.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:45   #15

Thanks for troubleshooting this. I too see it. But unlike the other user, turning off the touchscreen option is not a good one for me. I rely on that.
chartscharts is offline   Reply With Quote