Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 08:49   #1

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Chart scale plugin

I have had a request to make a plugin to change the chart scale with a slider.

I would like some feedback for this and also feature requests. I think maybe the actual scale could be displayed along the slider as an option, and maybe an icon to show which scales are actually available at the current location would be useful, but not sure.

github.com/seandepagnier/chartscale_pi
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:01   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: chart scale plugin

Sean,

can you give an idea about the motivation?
Vector charts? Raster?

Charts are edited from surveys which are constraints for the best scale. How to deal with this?

Or do you think mainly about aerogrammetry/satellite shots? Then resolution would define the limits for scaling.

Remember the overzoom/blurring debate from the past. Creating confidence in chart material that the raw data don't support.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 07:23   #3

The motivation is for vector charts, to see clearly which scales are supported, and also to very quickly jump to what scale is needed especially on slower computers.
Old 14-11-2015, 10:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The motivation is for vector charts, to see clearly which scales are supported, and also to very quickly jump to what scale is needed especially on slower computers.
on a note!
https://youtu.be/x1hsIrOD48k?t=3m30s
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 01:01   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
In addition; MaxSea, Nobeltech and SAS also support this style of zooming. I think the original CMap works like this too.

MaxSea even has a toggle to switch back and forth between the current and last scale views. This is particularly useful when piloting into a new port having a detail of the entrance and an overall instantly available. It is important however, that the two are "static" (in scale) so that you don't misinterpret because of a variable zoom factor.

During planning it is also very useful to go from a set small scale to a set large scale by using a slider or toggle a la MaxSea.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 05:33   #6

I intend to make a key toggle current and last scales. Right now there is no way for a plugin to do this.

I have a slider for now, but should I also have the option of a context menu to set the scale?
Old 15-11-2015, 05:37   #7

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Personally I would not be interested in a context menu. But a slider to be able set specific scales is must!
hoolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 05:46   #8

did anyone actually try this plugin?
Old 15-11-2015, 08:54   #9

Quote:
If there is a compiled version somewhere I will be happy to test it.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:28   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Yes... Me.

It works like a charm for me. I own a touch screen device under Linux (gnome-shell), and panning and zooming is not working ok in touch screen (only in opencpn).

Your plugin is the best way to zooming in some easy way. Thanks.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 01:00   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
If there is a compiled version somewhere I will be happy to test it.
Under Linux you can try my package for Ubuntu 64bit.

https://mega.nz/#!dNplXDDb!-OjXXUAUI...4a78XfXwBxAXVQ
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 17:45   #12

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

To try this with Opencpn v4.1.1108
Opencpn Beta File Thingie rguser, rgpass
look for 4.1.1108 PI Win directory
chartscale_pi-0.1-ov4.1.1108-win32

also projections_pi-0.1-ov4.1.1108-win32
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 22:10   #13

Comments on the plugin.

1. Being able to use the Up/Dn or Left/Right arrow keys when the plugin is displayed prevents using these to move the chart. Only way round this is to disable the plugin.

Suggestion, disable arrow keys in plugin. + and - keys do the same thing anyway.

2. The way the plugin works is to go through each zoom sequentially. On very slow machines this is the same as +/- zooming and does not facilitate fast switching between set scales.

Suggestion, either; add a series of labels, ticks or buttons next to the slider that would enable a direct jump to an alternative scale, or replace the slider completely with a series of labels, buttons or ticks. If these could remember their last state ("current", "previous") by ticking, highlighting or coloring them, this would make it very easy to switch between them (detailed scale, planning scale). Current and previous would need to be updated if a different scale was chosen.

A toggle button at the bottom of the slider or a hot key would make switching back and forth between the last 2 scales selected even easier to achieve.

This is a very useful feature, for example, when doing checks of way points (detail scale) along a route (planning scale), or having quick access to harbour entrance (detail scale) and overall (planning scale) when coming into port.

Peter
Old 20-11-2015, 23:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Comments on the plugin.

1. Being able to use the Up/Dn or Left/Right arrow keys when the plugin is displayed prevents using these to move the chart. Only way round this is to disable the plugin.

Suggestion, disable arrow keys in plugin. + and - keys do the same thing anyway.
The slider is in a separate window. So if you were to use alt+tab or click the map, then the keys would work normally. Now maybe it's better like you say to disable the arrow keys.

Otherwise it might be useful to make page-up and page-down move say 3 times the zoom of up and down.
Quote:
2. The way the plugin works is to go through each zoom sequentially. On very slow machines this is the same as +/- zooming and does not facilitate fast switching between set scales.

Suggestion, either; add a series of labels, ticks or buttons next to the slider that would enable a direct jump to an alternative scale, or replace the slider completely with a series of labels, buttons or ticks. If these could remember their last state ("current", "previous") by ticking, highlighting or coloring them, this would make it very easy to switch between them (detailed scale, planning scale). Current and previous would need to be updated if a different scale was chosen.
What about making it so when you click the slider at a position it jumps directly to there?

Alternately I could add a 1 second delay from when you change the slider to when it updates, so that you could have the chance to change it a few times before refresh. Not sure if this is a nice thing to do.

Yes, well I would sure like to make plugins able to register keys for commands so that a key on the keyboard could simply jump to the last scale.
Quote:
A toggle button at the bottom of the slider or a hot key would make switching back and forth between the last 2 scales selected even easier to achieve.
I will try with a button
Quote:
This is a very useful feature, for example, when doing checks of way points (detail scale) along a route (planning scale), or having quick access to harbour entrance (detail scale) and overall (planning scale) when coming into port.

Peter
Old 21-11-2015, 00:17   #15
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Why not integrating functions of the PI into the main UI?

There are plug-ins that are clearly enhancements or useful for a specific user group.

This one, the status line stuff or Watchdog are tools that are interesting for everybody.

Watchdog should be a part of a route checker and underway "look ahead" alerts.
Hope to see soon your announced function of checking for depth from vector charts! Consider a defined "safety contour" perhaps with different scenarios.

And keep the good things coming!

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, plug