Old 16-01-2013, 01:42   #106

Boat: Albin Vega, 27'
Re: Chart Problems on Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Alisdair....

This one looks familiar:
OpenCPN::Tracker All Projects: Tasklist

The Flyspray task is running armel, so unlikely related to float alignment.
I could not make much progress with this one, so far. Still smells like a memory problem to me....

However, the fact that it does not occur over ssh link makes me consider that it might be a latent fault in the gtk or display driver port for arm...

Dave
Yes, that's the problem.

Alisdair
Alisdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 08:07   #107
Marine Service Provider

Alisdair....

Code:
when you hit the zoom problem you'll see a gtk-critical ;)
What is the exact text of the gtk-critical error?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 14:19   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Alisdair....

Code:
when you hit the zoom problem you'll see a gtk-critical ;)
What is the exact text of the gtk-critical error?

Thanks
Dave
oops, sorry, it's GDK

Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_cairo_create: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(opencpn:2421): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_cairo_create: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x40c2f144 in cairo_save () from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcairo.so.2

(gdb) bt

#0 0x40c2f144 in cairo_save () from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcairo.so.2
#1 0x40397350 in wxCairoContext::wxCairoContext(wxGraphicsRenderer* , wxWindowDC const&) () from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib
wx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0
#2 0x40397398 in wxCairoRenderer::CreateContext(wxWindowDC const&) ()
from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0
#3 0x40326a2c in wxGCDC::wxGCDC(wxWindowDC const&) ()
#4 0x002cc834 in s52plib::RenderHPGL(_ObjRazRules*, _Rule*, wxPoint&, ViewPort*, float) ()
#5 0x002ce218 in s52plib::RenderSY(_ObjRazRules*, _Rules*, ViewPort*) ()
#6 0x002d36dc in s52plib:oRenderObject(wxDC*, _ObjRazRules*, ViewPort*) ()
#7 0x002d3260 in s52plib::RenderObjectToDC(wxDC*, _ObjRazRules*, ViewPort*) ()
#8 0x002ec21c in s57chart:CRenderLPB(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, wxRect*)
()
#9 0x002ebf20 in s57chart:CRenderRect(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, wxRect*)
()
#10 0x002eb88c in s57chart:oRenderViewOnDC(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, RenderTypeEnum, bool) ()
#11 0x002ea544 in s57chart:oRenderRegionViewOnDC(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, wxRegion const&, bool) ()
#12 0x002ea39c in s57chart::RenderRegionViewOnDC(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, wxRegion const&) ()
#13 0x003159b8 in cm93compchart:oRenderRegionViewOnDC(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, wxRegion const&) ()
#14 0x003155c4 in cm93compchart::RenderRegionViewOnDC(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort const&, wxRegion const&) ()
#15 0x0013fa54 in Quilt::RenderQuiltRegionViewOnDC(wxMemoryDC&, ViewPort&, wxRegion&) ()
#16 0x0016749c in ChartCanvas::OnPaint(wxPaintEvent&) ()
#17 0x4008f314 in wxAppConsole::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler*, void (wxEvtHandler::*)(wxEvent&), wxEvent&) const ()
from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0
#18 0x40109954 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventIfMatches(wxEventTableEn tryBase const&, wxEvtHandler*, wxEvent&) ()
#19 0x40109ab4 in wxEventHashTable::HandleEvent(wxEvent&, wxEvtHandler*) ()
#20 0x40109e70 in wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent&) ()
#21 0x402b4adc in wxWindow::GtkSendPaintEvents() ()
#22 0x402b4f5c in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xc
(gdb)
Old 24-01-2013, 17:40   #109

Boat: Seidelmann 37

Sorry for another long post - tried sending personal message off-list, but I'm too new as a Forum member and am apparently not allowed....

Hi Dave (& Alisdair) - In response to your comment/question from a week or so ago: Can I donate a Raspi (512 mb) to you, Dave, in thanks for OpenCPN and your recent work w/ raspi chart stuff? I bought 2 in Nov, and can pass one along if you have the time/inclination to work w/ it.

I don't have a spare 5v 1000 mA power source to send, but I could load a 4 gb sandisk SD w/ the wheezy (I'm using 8 gb, but 4 gb should be fine with small/moderate number of test maps etc). As Alisdair noted, ethernet is ready-to-go; you do need a monitor that has hdmi (most any seems to work) (or composite RCA - but don't think that's too useful for this app?) (I just bought an "expensive" $20 hdmi-vga converter for use w/ little vga monitor, but I was testing w/ a 27" LG LCD). A usb gps (globalsat BU-353 works w/o any config). A usb keyboard plus mouse (I got a GearHead, is just ok not great, Amazon.com: Smart Touch Mini USB TouchPad Keyboard: Electronics). Only 2 usb ports on raspi, so if you want to use existing separate mouse and keyboard (+gps), a powered usb bus is needed. A box isn't really needed for playing with it (put it on a cloth ;-), but I got a $6 plastic thing from Newark.com (where I bought pi) - not great, but holds the pi....

I've been pretty hammered with work since early Jan, and only now looked at forum re RasPI and OpenCPN (thread Chart Problems on Raspberry Pi). Will be some days before I have the opportunity to try latest changes you and Alidair et al. have made re ingesting and using ENC/SENCs- sounds good though.

I would be happy to send you a pi & preloaded SD (basic wheezy, w/o OpenCPN - has gcc, and I think? basic libs etc - I added some things to mine w/o writing down, so don't really know).

Let me know, & and can quickly mail it to you. Thanks again.
-carl (ephyraboater)
ephyraboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 17:03   #110
Marine Service Provider

Carl...

Thanks for the generous offer.
I think I could find time to look at it.

PM coming

Dave
Old 25-01-2013, 19:19   #111

Dave - got your PM in my email inbox, and saw the existance of your PM when I came to Forum - but popup blocker got rid of any info if it wasn't in my email (wasn't thinking, and canceled some dialog box...).

Regardless - from the email I have the address to send the pi to your friend - will send the spare pi via UPS tomorrow, or at latest Monday morning. Just finished the install and test of OS on spare pi - works fine. I also found an old cell-phone wall-wart power source with plug that fits the pi. While it is correct 5v, it is only 500 mA, not the minimum of 700 needed for pi (I'm running mine w/ 1000 mA). Including that "hardware" in package in case you can hack/cut the plug to rig up correct v & amps.

Thanks again for your OpenSource contributions - great stuff. And from the work of you and others on pi, I'm pretty sure it sounds like the pi can be a basic/minimal platform for opencpn.
-carl
Old 26-01-2013, 18:14   #112

I'm not allowed to send Private Msg to Dave, so sorry to clutter this thread. The pi will get to your (Dave) friend's address by Tues, I'm told. Again, thanks for playing with the pi as another opencpn platform.
Old 26-01-2013, 20:41   #113
Marine Service Provider

carl...

OK, Great

I'm scrounging up parts, (kb/mouse, p/s, monitor, etc.) so I'll be ready to start hacking soon.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 27-01-2013, 11:20   #114

Hello and thank you very much for your work so far on this matter.

I tried to find out if the problem is in the xserver rather than in the OpenCPN. I contacted my Pi from another computer with ssh (ssh -X pi@192.168.0.8) and ran opencpn (built from latest sources from git). It seemed to fork fine.

After that I started tweaking Pi's X-settings to see if they had any difference. Setting depth to 32 bits and ignoring alpha did the trick.

I added these lines to /boot/config.txt:
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

Now CM93 -maps (year 2011) seem to work quite nicely.

Eero Vahala
EeroVahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:27   #115

Boat: Westerly Renown

EV.

Brilliant! I'll try tomorrow.

Stuart
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 12:17   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeroVahala View Post
Hello and thank you very much for your work so far on this matter.

I tried to find out if the problem is in the xserver rather than in the OpenCPN. I contacted my Pi from another computer with ssh (ssh -X pi@192.168.0.8) and ran opencpn (built from latest sources from git). It seemed to fork fine.

After that I started tweaking Pi's X-settings to see if they had any difference. Setting depth to 32 bits and ignoring alpha did the trick.

I added these lines to /boot/config.txt:
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

Now CM93 -maps (year 2011) seem to work quite nicely.

Eero Vahala
Excellent, many thanks ... that seems to have resolved the problems

Alisdair
Old 28-01-2013, 04:32   #117

Eero,

Beautiful, Well Done!
May I be the first to make the association ( in English pronunciation ) to make the connection between " Eero " and " Hero " !!
As soon as I get everything I need running on the Pi I'll be able to stop flying back and forth carrying a laptop, just bring the sd card home in winter. Not to mention the massive difference in power consumption.
Thanks.
Stuart
Old 28-01-2013, 05:47   #118

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Does anyone have an idea how many watts or amps at 12vdc-14vdc a reasonable setup using raspberry pi would use? Say a 12"-14" lcd screen, keyboard, usb hub with mouaw, GPS and nmea0183?

Is it fast enough?
How to increase speed... reduce number of charts to bare minium?

Thanks for the great progress!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 05:59   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Does anyone have an idea how many watts or amps at 12vdc-14vdc a reasonable setup using raspberry pi would use? Say a 12"-14" lcd screen, keyboard, usb hub with mouaw, GPS and nmea0183?

Is it fast enough?

I have vector and raster charts enabled with quilting and it's fast enough with minimal overclocking (CPU but no, or minimal, overvoltage).
It takes a little while to ingest ENC charts for the first time, but that's to be expected.

I don't know about power consumption.

Alisdair
Old 28-01-2013, 06:17   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Is it fast enough?

The Pi itself runs at a max of 5V 700 mA so a few watts compared to a decent laptop at 30-50W!

I built a wide-input psu 9V - 40V for mine as my batts could be as low as 11,4 or as high as 14,6 on the solar regulator. Monitor consumption depends on what you buy. The 15" drop down car monitors get up to about 18W I think but obviously you can set up so as to go dark very quickly so only using power when you need it.
During the next few days I'll connect an ammeter to check power req for the Pi+7port hub+mini wireless k'board and let you know.
Reducing the size of the chart folder is a good idea, who needs Botany Bay when in the Med? But I have never worked out how to identify the folders needed!

Is it fast enough? Well it's still slow zooming but, at 6Kn, it'll certainly manage the cpu load when under way!

Stuart