Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 00:47   #1

Chart Downloader problems

I am new to OpenCPN and installed this on an old Vista machine so I am working on the learning curve.

I installed the Chart Downloader plugin but it does not show up in my plugins in the program. I went to the log and this is what I found:

11:54:57 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll 11:54:57 PM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll' (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.) 11:54:57 PM: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll

So then I went to the Event Viewer and this is what I found there:

Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 10/3/2015 11:02:18 PM
Event ID: 33
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SmokeyPokey-PC
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\curllib.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",pub licKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",versio n="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-04T06:02:18.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>416</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>SmokeyPokey-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x8 6",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32", version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>

</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\curllib.dll</Data>
<Data>

</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I deleted a bunch of the "<Data>" lines out of there but the rest of it is there. Does anyone know what is going on here? I tried that sxstrace.exe but a command line box came up and went away so fast that I have no idea what happened. Thank you.

Kerry
Kercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:12   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Chart Downloader problems

Kerry...
Your opencpn version? The version of the plugin you downloaded?
Your best bet is of course to use 4.1.925 beta, which integrates the plugin into the core program and no additional download is needed at all.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:14   #3

OpenCPN version 4.0.0 build 2015-01-08
Chart Downloader c1.0a released 2015-07-26

I am typically not one to explore the betas until they are proven, especially when this is my first experience with the software. It says "Due to the upgrade of framework libraries we use to build OpenCPN, none of the below plugins works with OpenCPN 4.1 beta on Windows" which also added to that decision.

Has the version you mentioned been made compatible with the other plugins or?? I just downloaded the latest "stable" version that I saw but if I should do other please let me know. Thank you.

Kerry
Old 04-10-2015, 10:26   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Kerry...
It also says "please refer to this page for the status of plugin updates" in the same sentence.
Anyway, for chart downloader, aso of 4.1.925 the plugin is now included in the main package, so you don't have to care about it at all.
And for playing with OpenCPN, using the beta should cause you less trouble than trying to get the ancient MS CRT library your system seems missing (In case you want to try to resolve it anyway, install Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from Official Microsoft Download Center).

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:36   #5

Thank you Pavel. I will install the beta version and give that a try. It looks like there are a lot of updated plugins already so I will assume that the rest will follow shortly.
I appreciate your assistance.

Kerry
Old 09-11-2015, 07:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Chart Downloader small bug

Using chart downloader under ubuntu 14.04 x32 - Opencpn 4.1.1108:

Previously several Inland ENC charts is installed. When updating Poland Inland ENC Charts by pressing "Update all" button you can see that there is a title of "All charts" with the status of new ( see attached JPG)

If you tick the "All charts" ( the new one) and then press the " Download selected Charts" the download starts but seems to newer finish.If pressing "Show local files"
you can see that the file 283_ienc_1803215.zip is downloaded to the ENC directory. When opening the zip file you can see that the file is in good condition and that all the files is downloaded (in the zip file).

Since the download process never seems to stop, I then press the "Abort Download" button, you will get an error message about that the download failed.
If you after this opens up the ENC directory in file manager, the ZIP file containing the files is no linger in the ENC directory.

The behavior might be related to the fact that all charts already is present and updated in the ENC folder for these charts and by trying to download the "all charts" containing charts already installed, the process fails ?? Anyhow, if all charts is already installed " all charts" should not be displayed with the status of "new" when updating charts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart_dl1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	112603   Click image for larger version

Name:	chart_dl2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	112604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	chart_dl3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	112605   Click image for larger version

Name:	chart_dl4.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	112606  

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:00   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Somehow the downloader "thinks" there is a chart called "All charts". I will try to find the cause. But the workaround is to ignore this entry as it is not really a chart. Just unselect it manually for now.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:29   #8

Petter,

I could not duplicate the problem you described. What I would do is create a new catalog entry for Poland inland (use the ADD button) and give this new catalog a name other than PL_INLAND such as PL_INLAND_TEST. You can do this right after you click on the Poland chart catalog at the bottom of the dialog the chart folder name will be displayed. Add something to this like _TEST to create a new folder name. Then try to download the charts into this new chart folder. If you still have the same problem then come back and report exactly what is in the PL_INLAND_TEST folder.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Somehow the downloader "thinks" there is a chart called "All charts". I will try to find the cause. But the workaround is to ignore this entry as it is not really a chart. Just unselect it manually for now.
The "All Charts" entry in the catalog is redundant. It contains the same charts as the individual chart entries. So it is ok to not select it as it contains the same information as all the other entries. Maybe we should think about removing this entry from the chart catalog .xml file. Or perhaps we should create 2 chart catalogs for Poland with one having only All Charts and the other with all the individual charts.

Tags
loa