Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 05:32   #1

Boat: Beurtschip 1922 24m
Can't Update Charts in Chart Downloader

Hi,

I recently installed OpenCPN on my Mac (El Capitan ver 10.11.5). I used the chart downloader to load several Inland ENC charts which seemed to work ok but I cannot seem to update the file. It brings up the download screen for a few seconds and the jumps to a 'no internet connection' warning. I have tried a few different wifi sources to no avail. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

The OpenCPN version is 4.4.0 Build 2016-05-31

Cheers

Steve
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 06:56   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Can't Update Charts in Chart Downloader

Steve,

can you please write which Inland ENC Charts you have tried?

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 07:01   #3

Hi Gerhard,

I have tried:
France Inland ENC Charts
Belgium Inland ENC Charts
Netherlands Inland ENC Charts
Germany Inland ENC Charts

I selected them from the predefined section under ChartCatalogues and all had the same problem.

Thanks for your help

Steve
Old 21-06-2016, 08:51   #4

Steve,

I have had a look and it seems the catalog files for the OpenCPN chart downloader are outdated. These files are stored at github. Looking at an example:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ch...NC_Catalog.xml
I saw e.g. the chart Liaison Dunkerque is actually edition 2 from 30.03.2015 but the catalog file above shows only edition 1 from 01.06.2011. Because with the update button you always download the outdated catalog.xml file you will never get a newer version. Sadly no one updated the catalog files I guess.

Gerhard
Old 21-06-2016, 10:43   #5

I just tried the same thing with OpenCPN 4.4.0 and with Windows10 running in a virtual machine. It is the same problem as the Mac version, also the Windows version of OpenCPN 4.4.0 with this plugin sadly does not work.
So forget the chartdownloader and get your charts as before directly from the sources, in case of France from:
VNF - Voies navigables de France - Cartes Ecdis

This way you are able to store the downloaded files to the specific folders while the chartdownloader will store all files together in only one folder which is not desired.

Gerhard
Old 21-06-2016, 17:09   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabble View Post
Hi Gerhard,

I have tried:
France Inland ENC Charts
Belgium Inland ENC Charts
Netherlands Inland ENC Charts
Germany Inland ENC Charts

I selected them from the predefined section under ChartCatalogues and all had the same problem.

Thanks for your help

Steve
Scrabble,

I just tried Belgium and Netherlands and they work ok. The index files are hosted on github.com for those countries that don't know how to create index files like the US does. This is a volunteer effort so if you know of a problem with the update please post here or in the tracker.

There isn't anything special about V4.4.0 that prevents downloader from working. So I don't think that is the problem. Open the chart downloader and select the Belgium Inland ENC Charts. Then click the "Edit..." button. Mine looks like this:

Does yours have the URL:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ch...NC_Catalog.xml

If so, then it should work. If you click the link above you should see some XML text. If your web browser cannot reach that link then neither can OpenCPN.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I just tried the same thing with OpenCPN 4.4.0 and with Windows10 running in a virtual machine. It is the same problem as the Mac version, also the Windows version of OpenCPN 4.4.0 with this plugin sadly does not work.
So forget the chartdownloader and get your charts as before directly from the sources, in case of France from:
VNF - Voies navigables de France - Cartes Ecdis

This way you are able to store the downloaded files to the specific folders while the chartdownloader will store all files together in only one folder which is not desired.

Gerhard
Gerhard,

Chart downloader can store chart files in any folder you like so you are giving incorrect information.

I just tried to download Belgium charts and it worked from the US so I suspect maybe github is not reachable from somewhere in the world where you are. If you check the Edit... dialog for a particular set of charts it shows the URL of the XML chart catalog file. If that link will work in your web browser but not in OpenCPN please give me another example and I will check it out. But there is nothing in OpenCPN V4.4.0 that should make chart downloader not work.
Old 22-06-2016, 00:58   #8

Thanks to both Gerhard and TransmitterDan

TD - I have attached a snapshot of the URL ands it appears to be the same as you show. I can open it in firefox with no problem but it is not accepted by OpenCPN. I did try a US chart and that seemed to work ok (at least to update and shift to the chart section - I didn't take it any further.)

G - thanks for the detail. I followed your instructions and downloaded a map from VNF but i cannot work out how to get the file to show on OCPN.

Obviously, using the chartdownloader would be best as I am not very computer savvy but I would like to get the program working by any means so i am happy to try alternatives.

Incidently, I know other OCP users that are happily using these maps but I'm not sure how they got them to work.

Thanks

Ste
Old 22-06-2016, 01:05   #9

Sorry - I didn't realise my attachments weren't going through.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Belgiumx.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	126707

Name:	CPN Snapx.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	126708
Old 22-06-2016, 02:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Gerhard,

Chart downloader can store chart files in any folder you like so you are giving incorrect information.

I just tried to download Belgium charts and it worked from the US so I suspect maybe github is not reachable from somewhere in the world where you are. If you check the Edit... dialog for a particular set of charts it shows the URL of the XML chart catalog file. If that link will work in your web browser but not in OpenCPN please give me another example and I will check it out. But there is nothing in OpenCPN V4.4.0 that should make chart downloader not work.
transmitterdan,
I hope you are able to read. We are talking about the french charts from VNF and not belgium charts. The french charts goes by default altogether in only one folder and there are several hundreds.
And another thing is that downloading the XML file from github works with Windows10 but not with the official Mac Version 4.4.0.
If you are not able to check these problems you better keep quiet.

Gerhard
Old 22-06-2016, 03:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabble View Post
G - thanks for the detail. I followed your instructions and downloaded a map from VNF but i cannot work out how to get the file to show on OCPN.
Chartdownloader does not work with Mac OS X and OpenCPN v4.4.0. Your screenshot about missing internet connection is correct. That is a bad bug of the Mac version.

Once you downloaded the files from VNF by hand you will get a zip file. Unzip this file to an empty folder and point this folder to the charts settings of OpenCPN. Sorry, I have only a german language picture, but you will understand to click onto "Verzeichnis hinzu..." (dossier noveau) and get this folder.

Gerhard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Karten.png
Views:	197
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	126711  
Old 22-06-2016, 05:42   #12

Quote:
transmitterdan,
I hope you are able to read. We are talking about the french charts from VNF and not belgium charts. The french charts goes by default altogether in only one folder and there are several hundreds.
And another thing is that downloading the XML file from github works with Windows10 but not with the official Mac Version 4.4.0.
If you are not able to check these problems you better keep quiet.

Gerhard
Gerhard,

You said it did not work with Windows 10 but in my system it does work.

Do you have a theory why Mac OS is different in this regard? Has it something to do with https or possibly certificates?

Telling people to "keep quiet" does not comport with the "be nice" rule. Maybe it is a language translation issue but generally it is considered rude to tell people to be quiet. This forum is here for everyone to help and learn. I am trying to help and learn.
Old 22-06-2016, 05:57   #13

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Gerhard,

You said it did not work with Windows 10 but in my system it does work.

Do you have a theory why Mac OS is different in this regard? Has it something to do with https or possibly certificates?

Telling people to "keep quiet" does not comport with the "be nice" rule. Maybe it is a language translation issue but generally it is considered rude to tell people to be quiet. This forum is here for everyone to help and learn. I am trying to help and learn.
Dan...
Don't worry, the plugin works just fine on OS X. I will update the French catalog shortly.
@Gerhard: If you have a real failure scenario, please describe it using exact steps to reproduce so we can fix it.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Dan...
Don't worry, the plugin works just fine on OS X. I will update the French catalog shortly.
@Gerhard: If you have a real failure scenario, please describe it using exact steps to reproduce so we can fix it.

Pavel
Please look at his screenshots in posting #9 above.
I get the same result (no internet connection) with OpenCPN 4.4.0 from opencpn.org for Mac OS X version 10.11.5. However my own version works.
Also Windows10 running as virtual machine works with the same tests.

The reason might be the stronger http-checks by OS X 10.11.5 and so wxcurl fail. It might be even stronger with the next version macOS Sierra (10.12) where not signed software cannot be installed as before anymore. Someone should check wxcurl with 10.11.5 because I use another curl.

Gerhard
Old 22-06-2016, 07:14   #15

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Please look at his screenshots in posting #9 above.
I get the same result (no internet connection) with OpenCPN 4.4.0 from opencpn.org for Mac OS X version 10.11.5. However my own version works.
Also Windows10 running as virtual machine works with the same tests.

The reason might be the stronger http-checks by OS X 10.11.5 and so wxcurl fail. It might be even stronger with the next version macOS Sierra (10.12) where not signed software cannot be installed as before anymore. Someone should check wxcurl with 10.11.5 because I use another curl.

Gerhard
Someone (me) just did, your theory is false.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, loa