At location

26 53' 04.98'' N
082 07' 19.62'' W

the following NOAA charts are valid and loaded in my chart database:

US4FL40M
US3GC07M
US2GC16M
US1GC09M

I am trying to get the US4 harbor chart to show. With quilting on, the chart is indicated on the bar as available. When I click on it, it does not display but others do. With quilting off, only the US1 and 2 show as available. I have tried zooming in and out, reloading the charts and all kinds of other settings. I have had this chart showing at one time. Am I missing a setting or a reset somewhere?

This seems to occur where ever I am located.

Anyone?
ktcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 10:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
You live very near my GF!
Old 17-12-2010, 10:32   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Could'nt replicate

I can have all 4 charts in the bottom status bar with the 40M one on screen and switch between all fours.
(Made a general folder with the 4 ENC_ROOT folders renamed ENC_ROOT1, 2 etc... and gave OpenCpn a pointer to the general folder)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All4.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	22030  
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 10:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
I can have all 4 charts in the bottom status bar with the 40M one on screen and switch between all fours.
(Made a general folder with the 4 ENC_ROOT folders renamed ENC_ROOT1, 2 etc... and gave OpenCpn a pointer to the general folder)
My ENC charts are all in one folder but I used to be able to select any of them as well. Now, not so much!
Old 17-12-2010, 11:46   #5

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcanuck View Post
I have searched and not found!

At location

26 53' 04.98'' N
082 07' 19.62'' W

the following NOAA charts are valid and loaded in my chart database:

US4FL40M
US3GC07M
US2GC16M
US1GC09M

I am trying to get the US4 harbor chart to show. With quilting on, the chart is indicated on the bar as available. When I click on it, it does not display but others do. With quilting off, only the US1 and 2 show as available. I have tried zooming in and out, reloading the charts and all kinds of other settings. I have had this chart showing at one time. Am I missing a setting or a reset somewhere?

This seems to occur where ever I am located.

Anyone?
I'm running 2.3.0 under Windows Vista and had no problem viewing US4FL40M at 26 53' 04.98'' N, 082 07' 19.62'' W with quilting on or off. If you're running the same OS and version your chart file might be corrupt. Have you tried downloading it afresh from NOAA?

Do you have a similar problem with US3GC07M? I ask because you mentioned it was not shown as available with quilting off.

Try copying US4FL40M.000 and US3GC07M.000 to a new directory and setting that directory as the sole chart directory in OpenCPN. See if you can view either chart then.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 12:00   #6

The funny thing is I have OpenCPN installed on three computers. Each has the same file structure and content. It is only this one that exhibits this problem. I have tried reloading the chart database. I will try isolating those particular charts and load them only. And yes the same effect on the US3 charts.

I should add: The "offending computer" is under XP. The other two are Vista and W7.
Old 17-12-2010, 12:08   #7

Can you copy those two charts from one of your computers which displays them correctly to the computer with the problem? If that solves the problem it would confirm the problem was caused by corrupt chart files.

Like you, I have all my ENC charts in a single directory and I've had no problems with that arrangement.

Fabbian
Old 17-12-2010, 12:29   #8

I have made the problem go away. But I think there is a problem somewhere in the way the charts are read in. First off my file structure is as follows:

"Charts" folder has four sub-folders and nothing in the root. The four sub-folders are NOAA ENCs, NOAA Rasters, Pilot Charts and iENCs.

I have been loading all by referring to the Charts folder only without impact until today. I deleted the global charts reference and loaded only the ENCs first and rebuilt. My US3 and US4 were available. I then added the NOAA Raster folder charts and again forced a rebuild. All charts displayed ok. I added the other two folders incrementally with no problem. With all four sub-folders in the charts source list I rebuilt the data base, no problem.

I then deleted the four sub-folder references and went back to the Chart folder as the only reference and rebuilt. This time the problem returned BUT it was the close-in RASTER that would not display this time! The US3 and 4 showed fine.

I am back to loading the four sub folders for now.

I thought we could refer to a higher level charts folder and the sub-folders would be loaded But at least on this machine there's an issue.

Keith
Old 18-12-2010, 01:03   #9

Boat: Dufour 35
Have you looked in your log file?
There could possibly be some interesting information there.
Your file structure should not be a problem to OpenCPN.

Once you have initialized an ENC chart, the program reads the then created SENC chart which is in the SENC directory in the same place as your logfile. Each chart has two files, one ending in .bmp and one ending in .S57. I might be worth a try to delete the offending charts here, and they will be reinitialized next time you start the program.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 03:39   #10

Boat: Pearson 323
ktcanuck

By "US4 harbor chart", do you mean 40000 scale? I can only get down to 80000 at this location with both ENC and RNC charts.

John
Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 03:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail323 View Post
ktcanuck

By "US4 harbor chart", do you mean 40000 scale? I can only get down to 80000 at this location with both ENC and RNC charts.

John
There is a US4 chart there. The file name is in my original post. From NOAA:

ENC cells are 8 characters long (i.e., US3CA70M)
  • The 1st and 2nd fields are filled with the country or producer code.
  • The 3rd field is filled with the navigation purpose. The U.S. has five classifications.
    • # 1 is for overview charts with scales ranging from 1:1,500,001 or smaller
    • # 2 is for general charts with scales ranging from 1:600,001 - 1:1,500,000
    • # 3 is for coastal charts with scales ranging from 1:150,001 - 1:600,000
    • # 4 is for approach charts with scales ranging from 1:50,001 - 1:150,000
    • # 5 is for harbour charts with scales ranging from 1:50,000 or larger
  • The 4th and 5th fields are filled in the U.S. with the state, territory or region abbreviation.
  • The 6th and 7th fields are filled with an arbitrary number or letter.
  • The 8th is filled with the chart's unit of measurement. "M' is for metric.
Old 18-12-2010, 04:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Have you looked in your log file?
There could possibly be some interesting information there.
Your file structure should not be a problem to OpenCPN.

Once you have initialized an ENC chart, the program reads the then created SENC chart which is in the SENC directory in the same place as your logfile. Each chart has two files, one ending in .bmp and one ending in .S57. I might be worth a try to delete the offending charts here, and they will be reinitialized next time you start the program.

Thomas
Thomas, I will take a look and see what initialises under the fault condition. Working correctly the contents look fine of course.

Keith
Old 18-12-2010, 04:48   #13

Boat: Pearson 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcanuck View Post
There is a US4 chart there. The file name is in my original post. From NOAA:

ENC cells are 8 characters long (i.e., US3CA70M)
  • The 1st and 2nd fields are filled with the country or producer code.
  • The 3rd field is filled with the navigation purpose. The U.S. has five classifications.
    • # 1 is for overview charts with scales ranging from 1:1,500,001 or smaller
    • # 2 is for general charts with scales ranging from 1:600,001 - 1:1,500,000
    • # 3 is for coastal charts with scales ranging from 1:150,001 - 1:600,000
    • # 4 is for approach charts with scales ranging from 1:50,001 - 1:150,000
    • # 5 is for harbour charts with scales ranging from 1:50,000 or larger
  • The 4th and 5th fields are filled in the U.S. with the state, territory or region abbreviation.
  • The 6th and 7th fields are filled with an arbitrary number or letter.
  • The 8th is filled with the chart's unit of measurement. "M' is for metric.
Thanks for the clarification. I apparently misunderstood your problem. I thought that you were looking for a 40,000 scale chart in this area.

I found many 40,000 scale charts missing for the AICW on my trip south this year. This meant no soundings on ENC charts from Mile 740 to Mile 910 as well as parts of Georgia and South Carolina.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enc.png
Views:	217
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	22040   Click image for larger version

Name:	rnc.png
Views:	215
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	22041  

Sail323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 07:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post

Thomas
Would Force Full Database Rebuild do the same thing?

What happens when you download a new version of an existing chart? Will the program continue to display the old one from the SENC directory or will it recognize there is a newer chart available? If not, the documentation should stress the importance of rebuilding the database when new chart versions are downloaded lest the user unwittingly rely on out-of-date charts.

Fabbian
Old 18-12-2010, 08:57   #15
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post
Would Force Full Database Rebuild do the same thing?

What happens when you download a new version of an existing chart? Will the program continue to display the old one from the SENC directory or will it recognize there is a newer chart available? If not, the documentation should stress the importance of rebuilding the database when new chart versions are downloaded lest the user unwittingly rely on out-of-date charts.

Fabbian
Actually, what cagney suggested is worth trying, but I think he miss-stated a little.

After deleting the SENC, next time you try to display that chart, it will be rebuilt from the ENC chart (not next program open). But, then, cagney knows this stuff better than I, so maybe by me posting this he can point out the error in my thinking.

Your second paragraph is a good question, and I'd like to hear the answer, as well. I THINK that rebuilding the database just re-discovers what charts you have. I don't THINK it removes any SENC charts, and I'm sure it doesn't automatically rebuild them.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc