Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 22:17   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Cant get EMtrak B100 to work with Open CPN

Hi, I am having a hard time connecting B100 port 2 to windows 7 running OpenCPN.

I have port 1 38000baud working with Raymarine C70 Multifunction display. I can see targets there.

Port 2 is a slow port and Purple and Pink wires are supposed to be TX+ and TX-.

I originally had connected TX+ (Purple) to DB9 pin2 which is RS232 Receive+ and TX- (pink) to DB9 pin 5 which is ground. I have PC with Serial port, its permanent COM1 and i am using COM1 to get GPS data to OpenCPN. For AIS data I was using USB serial dongle.

That did not work. I cant remember If i tried connecting to COM1 and getting rid of my GPS position input.

Since Some NEMA0183 devices could be differential out RS422, I bought this RS422 to USB adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DTECH-USB-t...53.m2749.l2649

I just tried connecting Purple to RXD+ and Pink to RXD- and conenctign the USB port on my onboard PC runnign OpenCPN

I still get no data, Debug window shows no Sentences. I set the port to 4800 and look up from device manager the number for newly installed COM port when RS422-USb adapter was first plugged in.

Interestingly If I connect the pink wire to ground on RS422 adapter and purple to RXD+, I get RXD Activity LED flashing on RS422toUSB adapter. But I still get nothing in the OpenCpn debug window.I tied removing COM1 and disconnecting it from the PC's permanent serial port. still nothing.

I did not install the USB drivers to see if that might work, but as I was reading I really want to use NEMA0183 port 2 for permanent installation with OpenCPN PC on the boat.

That RXD led flashing is telling me that port 2 is active. I have a feeling This just has to do with single ended vs differential signal but I am out of ideas

If anyone has an idea on what else to try that would be great

phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 03:24   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: Cant get EMtrak B100 to work with Open CPN

The "slow" port will not cope with all AIS conditions. Why not connect port 1 to your PC? Standard ports can drive up to 4 receivers. At least you know that port is working!

hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
The "slow" port will not cope with all AIS conditions. Why not connect port 1 to your PC? Standard ports can drive up to 4 receivers. At least you know that port is working!
I guess i didnt think of that. Why would 4800 Baud not cope? AIS has it and if it cannot cope why would they have it?
Old 16-04-2019, 06:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I guess i didnt think of that. Why would 4800 Baud not cope? AIS has it and if it cannot cope why would they have it?
AIS devices never use baudrate of 4800 as it is too low for the data that needs to be generated and transmitted over the wire anywhere but in areas with very few targets, always 38400.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 07:18   #5

Apparently B100 port 2 is not setup to output data by default. this makes no sense as i was getting LED activity on rxd of RS422 dongle. But they also talk about 4800 being too slow. So dumb to have port setup for speed that will cause it to miss transmissions. Somehow though i am still puzzled that i had absolutely no activity on the debug window even when RXD LED was flashing.

This thread talks about configuring port 2 for higher speed.

https://groups.io/g/em-trakAIS/topic...0,2,0,27742196
Old 16-04-2019, 08:27   #6

IDK much about windows, but I wanted the B100 to output AIS data on the high speed port and GPS data on the low speed port. I had to contact EMTrak customer service and they sent me a software patch on a memory card by snail mail that made it do so.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 08:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Why not just use the USB interface? It works reasonably well and is easier to setup.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:58   #8

In my case, it was to interface with equipment that uses NMEA 0183, not USB. Specifically a SH GX2000 radio and the SeaTalk bus.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 17:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
In my case, it was to interface with equipment that uses NMEA 0183, not USB. Specifically a SH GX2000 radio and the SeaTalk bus.
Ok I got port 2 to output data, but it's +/-3v. Between tx+ purple and tx- pink, or 0-3v from purple to ais B-100 ground or boat ground. In fact it's identical to port 1 logic level. And I'm getting garbage on windows pc. Putty terminal displays garbage. Open cpn shows nothing and proais2 also shows garbage.

So I did install Windows 7 64 bit driver and proais2. I did have to connect using usb connection and proais2 allowed me to change port 2 to 38400. Wrote that into memory and repowered ais and then scope showed activity on port 2.

But I still have garbage on pc.
The only way to show ais data is to connect via that usb. Then putty shows meaningful sentances, and open cpn shows traffic.

But I recall em trak does not reccomend using usb full time due to surges and usb port being not protected. Or laptop floating. My boat pc is not a laptop, it's powered off of 12v boat supply with filtering, but ground is common.

So the garbage character issue is the logic level I belive. I'm not sure that this Dtech rs422/485 to usb is converting the data correclty.
Usually at work we use uart to rs232 trasciever to convert 3v logic to 5v logic. I might try that next.
Old 16-04-2019, 17:19   #10

In case fold don't belive meClick image for larger version

Name:	20190416_201831.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	190165
Old 16-04-2019, 17:20   #11

Quote:
Ok I got port 2 to output data, but it's +/-3v. Between tx+ purple and tx- pink, or 0-3v from purple to ais B-100 ground or boat ground. In fact it's identical to port 1 logic level. And I'm getting garbage on windows pc. Putty terminal displays garbage. Open cpn shows nothing and proais2 also shows garbage.

So I did install Windows 7 64 bit driver and proais2. I did have to connect using usb connection and proais2 allowed me to change port 2 to 38400. Wrote that into memory and repowered ais and then scope showed activity on port 2.

But I still have garbage on pc.
The only way to show ais data is to connect via that usb. Then putty shows meaningful sentances, and open cpn shows traffic.

But I recall em trak does not reccomend using usb full time due to surges and usb port being not protected. Or laptop floating. My boat pc is not a laptop, it's powered off of 12v boat supply with filtering, but ground is common.

So the garbage character issue is the logic level I belive. I'm not sure that this Dtech rs422/485 to usb is converting the data correclty.
Usually at work we use uart to rs232 trasciever to convert 3v logic to 5v logic. I might try that next.
How did you establish the logic level being CMOS 3.3V (Which would be REALLY weird in a device like this)? Using a multimeter as poor man's oscilloscope?
Old 16-04-2019, 17:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
How did you establish the logic level being CMOS 3.3V (Which would be REALLY weird in a device like this)? Using a multimeter as poor man's oscilloscope?
Fluke 123 scope meter
Old 16-04-2019, 17:45   #13

With +/- 3V, or 0-3V you are completely out of spec for RS232 (-3 to -15V or +3 to +15V with your range explicitly being garbage), better RS422 wise (differential -6/+6V).
I would expect the thing not to work at all with a real RS232 serial port, or very very badly. With serial-to-USB adapters your luck will vary depending on the adapter and the chip in it, some will sure work, some will likely not.
Old 16-04-2019, 17:52   #14

Quote:
Fluke 123 scope meter
For some reason scope shot did not upload yet.
Never mind I got it working
Port settings in device manager had to be changed. Fn windows.
The way I figured it out is I took a scope shot of my other gps nmea 183 signal which is digital yacht. It was also cmos between rs232 receive db9 pink and ground db9 pin5. Then I looked at what the settings were in device manager for that com port. Open cpn was interpreting those correctly. And those were
Speed 4800
Data bits 8
Stop bits 1
Parity none
Flow control xon/xoff

Then I got back my ais b100 port 2 but instead of rs485 dongle, I used usb serial dongle. I could have just used my straight up serial port on the pc. I used purple ais port 2 tx+ for pin 2 on db9 which is rs232 receive and pink ais port 2 tx- I tied to ais ground along with tying it to pin 5 on db9.
And of course I used the same com port setting that open cpn understands, just had to change speed to 38400. So open cpn does not have options to change com port hardware settings. Have to do that in device manager. Putty on the other hand along with other teminal applications allowes you to overwrite all com port settings. And **** 3 hours later...
Old 16-04-2019, 17:53   #15

Quote:
For some reason scope shot did not upload yet.
Never mind I got it working
Port settings in device manager had to be changed. Fn windows.
The way I figured it out is I took a scope shot of my other gps nmea 183 signal which is digital yacht. It was also cmos between rs232 receive db9 pink and ground db9 pin5. Then I looked at what the settings were in device manager for that com port. Open cpn was interpreting those correctly. And those were
Speed 4800
Data bits 8
Stop bits 1
Parity none
Flow control xon/xoff

Then I got back my ais b100 port 2 but instead of rs485 dongle, I used usb serial dongle. I could have just used my straight up serial port on the pc. I used purple ais port 2 tx+ for pin 2 on db9 which is rs232 receive and pink ais port 2 tx- I tied to ais ground along with tying it to pin 5 on db9.
And of course I used the same com port setting that open cpn understands, just had to change speed to 38400. So open cpn does not have options to change com port hardware settings. Have to do that in device manager. Putty on the other hand along with other teminal applications allowes you to overwrite all com port settings. And **** 3 hours later...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190416_201831.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	190170

Tags
open cpn