Originally Posted by WalterH
I downloaded the GPS utility, it is a cool program, but still cannot get WPs into the GP-33, I wonder if anyone else has a Furuno GP-33 and has uploaded waypoints via NEMA 0183?
Walter ... this is the procedure I use for the Furuno GP-32. I suspect it will work for you:
Sending waypoints and routes from GPSUtility program to Furuno GPS.
Prepare GPSU program
1. Launch GPSUtility.
2. Go to GPS/Setup. Select 'Furuno', 'other' (or '80' or '33' if you have one of those models.)
Select the com port connected to the GPS. (You can check the available ports
by clicking on the box 'Check')
Select the 'Baud rate' of '4800'
Click on 'OK'.
3. Select File/Open. Navigage to the route
you want to use.
Open it. If you get a warning notice about symbols just click 'ok'.
The waypoints for that route
will be displayed.
4. Minimize the GPSU program.
Prepare Furuno GPS
1. Select MENU/I/O SETUP and press ENTER
2. Select LOAD WPT/RTE <- PC? and press ENTER
3. On the LOAD WPT/ROUTE screen
the selection CONTINUE? is highlighted. Press ENTER
4. On the LOADING START? screen
, move the selection to YES but don't do anything just yet.
1. Display GPSU.
2. Select GPS/Upload all ...
3. The GPS Transfer screen appears with 'OK' checked.
4. Quickly do the following:
a. On the Furuno GPS press ENT for the highlighted 'YES'. Then ...
b. On the GPSU program click on the 'OK' (alternatively just hit ENTER key)
5. On the GPSU program the bottom left corner will show the status of the upload and when it is completed.
6. The Furuno GPS should beep and display 'LOADING COMPLETED. Press any key'. Do so
a. Go to MAIN MENU/WAYPOINTS. Press ENTER twice. The waypoints for this route should be shown.
b. Go to MAIN MENU/ROUTES. Press ENTER. A route '01' should be displayed without a name. Hightlight it and press ENTER.
c. The waypoints for that route should be shown. To add a name to this route select CMT: and press ENTER. You can now use the GPS selector to enter a name for the route.
Remember that each time you upload data to the GPS it overwrites the old information.
It is possible to upload waypoints for multiple routes at one time.
If you do a combined file of waypoints and routes from other saved routes and send them at one time to the Furuno GPS, the result will be that only the first set of waypoints defining a route will be accepted by the Furuno GPS as a route, labeled '01'. It may often have a blank name or, perhaps a garbled one. This is normally the first set of waypoints associated with the first route you have put into the combined file. The other waypoints comprising the other routes will be under the GPS 'Waypoints' folder. You must now go to 'Routes' and create the successive routes using the waypointS for that route displayed under the 'Waypoints' folder in the GPS.
For that first route, '01' (and for any route for that matter), you can open the route and enter the name of the route under the 'CMT:' line.