Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 17:25   #1

Boat: Southerly 110, 36'
Canadian Charts

I am interested in purchasing Canadian Charts that will work with OpenCPN. The charts I want are for the Gulf Islands and the Desolation Sound area.

I've searched, but I'm absolutely confused about what I need. Can anyone provide me with a link to Canadian Charts that will work with OpenCPN?

Cheers!
Old 23-06-2010, 17:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
http://www.digitalocean.ca/
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 18:35   #3

I have recently searched for a source for CHS (Canadian Hydrographic Service) charts and found the best deal from: CHS.

The best advice is define what you want, shop, and compare. These guys delivered quickly at a competitive price for the CHS product that I needed. I did it over the web.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:21   #4

So it looks like I need the PAC02. I really like the idea of downloading directly after I buy it, but I go to your CHS link and I don't see how to buy it.

I feel really stupid (I even tried several google searches). Can point me to where I can buy it and then download it on line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I have recently searched for a source for CHS (Canadian Hydrographic Service) charts and found the best deal from: CHS.

The best advice is define what you want, shop, and compare. These guys delivered quickly at a competitive price for the CHS product that I needed. I did it over the web.
Old 23-06-2010, 19:32   #5
Marine Service Provider

optimtor...

Welcome aboard!

Sad to say, there are no Canadian Raster charts which will work with opencpn.

Reason: Canadian BSB charts are encrypted with the BSB4 protection scheme. The algorithms needed to decode the encryption are proprietary and closed source, and thus not available to an open source project such as opencpn. This chart encryption is the result of an Intellectual Property policy maintained by the CHS for some years now.

The cm93 vector chart database provides adequate coverage for the interesting cruising grounds of Canada, and are freely available for download on the web. The accuracy of cm93 charts is unstated, so the user must employ extra diligence when using them for navigation, beyond what one would normally exercise with electronic navigation devices.

I am indeed sorry about the state of affairs regarding Canadian charts. If I were Canadian, I would write to my MP.

Thanks for your interest in OpenCPN

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 19:51   #6

Ahhh now I got it. Somehow, I thought there were raster charts that just needed an unlock code - but I understand now.

When you say "freely available" - Freely as in "widespread" or free as in "ain't gonna cost me a thing"? - I searched for "free cm93 chart" but didn't find any.

Also, can't give you enough for your work on OpenCPN. It rocks!
Old 23-06-2010, 19:54   #7

Optimtor,

I bought the PAC002 CD, and it actually was from this link that sold it for $149.00.

Canadian Hydrographic Service Marine Charts

I prefer to have the CD in case it goes "poof" at some time. It sounds like CHS raster charts may not work for your purpose, but if you need any CHS stuff check here and compare with your other options.
Old 23-06-2010, 22:40   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimtor View Post
The charts I want are for ------------ the Desolation Sound area.
Watch out for Stacy's rock it's a quarter mile off the shore and 6 ft. down at high tide. It's right after rounding the north end of Malaspina Peninsula (Sarah's Pt.). NO MARKER And there are a couple more hidden rocks right in the middle of the Malaspina Inlet.
Old 23-06-2010, 22:55   #9

Boat: C & C 34, 1982, 34' - Golden Mean
Yes, the Canadian charts are an issue. I was using an old version of VNS on my laptop and decided to update my Canadian charts. I bought two CD's of Vancouver Island East and West, loaded them up to discover that the older version of VNS will not read them. As explained earlier, this is because they are in BSB4 format which is encrypted. So my search for low cost navigation software started. I'm exploring both OpenCPN and PolarNav which both work great with the US raster and enc charts but do not work with the encrypted BSB4 charts. Of course, more epxensive packages such as SailCruiser, Fugawi, etc. will work with all chart types but I'm trying to save a few $$. Is there any way that we can support OpenCPN and PolarNav in getting licensed to work with the Canadian charts? There are a number of us north of the 49th that are interested.
Golden Mean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 06:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mean View Post
I was using an old version of VNS on my laptop and decided to update my Canadian charts. I bought two CD's of Vancouver Island East and West, loaded them up to discover that the older version of VNS will not read them. As explained earlier, this is because they are in BSB4 format which is encrypted.
Golden,

It might help others if you add the VNS rev level involved. The CHS raster charts that I just purchased do run on Nobeltec VNS 10.7. My very old (like almost 20 years old) Maptech raster charts do not. I understand that it is due to the raster format involved.

I have no experience running the new CHS raster charts on an old version of VNS. The encryption may not be the issue. At least the security process requires that you go through an online registration process that allows the charts to be copied to up to five computers in support of a single vessel. And that CHS somehow keep track of the specific computers identities. My, admittedly limited, understanding is that once the charts are on the hard drive the security features are not involved in daily operation.
Old 24-06-2010, 06:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Watch out for Stacy's rock it's a quarter mile off the shore and 6 ft. down at high tide. It's right after rounding the north end of Malaspina Peninsula (Sarah's Pt.). NO MARKER And there are a couple more hidden rocks right in the middle of the Malaspina Inlet.
Thanks for the heads up on Stacy's! Hopefully, the other rocks there will stay hidden .
Old 24-06-2010, 08:01   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
I am indeed sorry about the state of affairs regarding Canadian charts. If I were Canadian, I would write to my MP.
Well I did that. Didn't seem to do any good. I even wrote to the PM. Funny thing, didn't even get a response.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 08:31   #13

Boat: C & C 34, 1982, 34' - Golden Mean
Hi St. Elsewhere: I was using VNS 6.5 - admittedly an old version. I have the Canadian charts duly registered on my laptop. When we cruise the San Juans we use the great free US raster and vector charts with OpenCPN or PolarNavy. I'm still looking at both. It would be nice to be able get familiar with only one product for both the US and Canadian cruising.
Golden Mean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 09:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
FWIW I use Fugawi for my travels in Eastern Canada and found it more than adequate. A little clunky but OK. I have used it elsewehere as well. I scanned in a map of Belize and used that to drive around down there. That was kinda neat.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 10:42   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mean View Post
It would be nice to be able get familiar with only one product for both the US and Canadian cruising.
They are two different countries!

Tags
charts