Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 18:37   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Can radar data be repeated to 2nd PC?

Merrimac,
I tried resizing some of the images sizes down. Icons 80 x approx 80 Lists 200 x or 250 x Did not seem to work.

I thought I'd try adding a page for Hardware, but saw you had a section like that,
so I think I am going to leave it for you and others to do the editing, as I haven't used the plugin yet either!

I hope your good description below makes it into the documentation.
I'll certainly add wiring photos later, to help, as I get that done.

Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 21:07   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Shrimp
cshrimpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:01   #18

Cutting in the Switch for Radar on PC / Opencpn

Merrimac,

I've found your good list of suggestions again, here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2194640

I've drawn my system up and thought about the switch location. See attached please. I think I should cut the Network Cable between the ZeusTouch and the RI10 and add RJ45 connectors as you suggested. However if I could find the same Networrk connector as B&G uses at the Radar or Zeus I would insert the switch there, so as not to destroy the B&G Network Cable.

This GS305 Netgear looks reasonable. I will like only using 2w at 100 mbps
https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs
5 port switch 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet, $24 Amazon , looks like it is 5vdc. Would 12vdc power be ok?

To start bare bones, the simplest alternative would be to disconnect the Radar network cable at the Zeus Touch and plug it into the laptop if I could make an adapter that fit. Then I could start to learn about the new plugin right away. Does anyone know what these connectors are?

I don't believe I will have to connect the ST Link to the PC USB to get heading data for Opencpn Chart Overly, because as long as I turn on the Autopilot (standby) and Instruments, that data should be on the N2K bus and sent to the Radar. ---But does OpenCPN need the heading data? --Yes, ..I think you have options for heading data.

Thank you for the suggestions. It does look like I won't have to get into cutting the radar cable which has power and heading data too!

The Navionics plugin is getting quite adept now! Also thank you for all the persistent work, and what a good team!

Best Rick.

PS: More information about the installation here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2182400
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electronics-Diagram-B&G-RM.pdf (74.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 29-08-2016, 00:01   #19

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56
Re: Cutting in the Switch for Radar on PC / Opencpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Merrimac,

I've found your good list of suggestions again, here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2194640

I've drawn my system up and thought about the switch location. See attached please. I think I should cut the Network Cable between the ZeusTouch and the RI10 and add RJ45 connectors as you suggested.
Yes, that is the best place.

Here are my instructions from 2010 on how to do that: Lowrance yellow Ethernet cabling.

Quote:
However if I could find the same Networrk connector as B&G uses at the Radar or Zeus I would insert the switch there, so as not to destroy the B&G Network Cable.
I don't know any source for these connectors.

Quote:
This GS305 Netgear looks reasonable. I will like only using 2w at 100 mbps
https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs
5 port switch 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet, $24 Amazon , looks like it is 5vdc. Would 12vdc power be ok?
I hadn't noticed that Netgear has changed to a "version 2" that is no longer 12VDC power. If you can find a source where they still have the blue metallic housed version you can feed it directly with 12V. If you can just go to a store and look the device over physically before buying. Alternatively you'd have to get a DC-DC converter but that will increase power consumption by 15-20%.

Quote:
To start bare bones, the simplest alternative would be to disconnect the Radar network cable at the Zeus Touch and plug it into the laptop if I could make an adapter that fit. Then I could start to learn about the new plugin right away. Does anyone know what these connectors are?
Not me, and I don't know anybody that does.

Quote:
I don't believe I will have to connect the ST Link to the PC USB to get heading data for Opencpn Chart Overly, because as long as I turn on the Autopilot (standby) and Instruments, that data should be on the N2K bus and sent to the Radar. ---But does OpenCPN need the heading data? --Yes, ..I think you have options for heading data.
Correct. It will work for you case (it's taking a convoluted path, but that is OK: sensor -> Seatalk 1 -> STNG = N2K -> RI10 -> Ethernet -> plugin -> opencpn)

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. It does look like I won't have to get into cutting the radar cable which has power and heading data too!
Correct.

Quote:
The Navionics plugin is getting quite adept now! Also thank you for all the persistent work, and what a good team!
Navico, not Navionics
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:43   #20

Merrimac,

The Metal version is also available. I assumed the plastic was the same and would not rust. Specs for the metal GS305-100PAS are no longer definitive I think (Consumption: 2.3W (max); 0.5W (standby)) I will go look at Best Buy.

Merrimac, thanks for the cabling link, very helpful.

Still trying to figure out where to get the Circular 5-pin Female socket that would fit into the standard 5 pin cable. If anyone knows, please advise. Thanks. This is as far as I have gotten:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2200159
Old 04-09-2016, 10:27   #21

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Finally had time to work on the doc, see https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/wiki

I've tried to cover everything discussed in this thread, please comment.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar