Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 08:47   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alameda
Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Posts: 275
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

..hard sound impressive but it's gonna be nothing unless you coat the motherboard and SSD disk... Corrosion run very fast on electrical component..
Whatever configuration you build or buy, coated it!!.. specially if you think navigate and put a lot of nav chart and concentrate there all instrumentation...
__________________

__________________
En medio de la noche, sigo siendo luz...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 09:47   #32
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

I have a number of computers onboard that relate to research. Coat your ports (USB, video ports etc) with silicon grease. Otherwise over time, the salt air causes these ports to oxidize. Do not use any sort of petroleum based coating, which can dry and harden over time, which can cause oxidation and poor or no electrical contact.

I had to send a Furuno black box back to them to have a motherboard replaced because of a rusted USB port...it was very expensive.
__________________

__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 16:53   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
..hard sound impressive but it's gonna be nothing unless you coat the motherboard and SSD disk... Corrosion run very fast on electrical component..
Whatever configuration you build or buy, coated it!!.. specially if you think navigate and put a lot of nav chart and concentrate there all instrumentation...
all circuits will be coated in platinum cure silicone
heat sinking will be to finned case
all my instruments will have some redundancy built in
and i always carry paper to use in the event of e charting failures
__________________
white74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 19:50   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alameda
Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Posts: 275
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by white74 View Post
all circuits will be coated in platinum cure silicone
heat sinking will be to finned case
all my instruments will have some redundancy built in
and i always carry paper to use in the event of e charting failures
..attaboy...
__________________
En medio de la noche, sigo siendo luz...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 01:42   #35
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,822
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have a number of computers onboard that relate to research. Coat your ports (USB, video ports etc) with silicon grease. Otherwise over time, the salt air causes these ports to oxidize. Do not use any sort of petroleum based coating, which can dry and harden over time, which can cause oxidation and poor or no electrical contact.
I use coconut oil, is that bad? I don't know where to get silicon grease.
Quote:
I had to send a Furuno black box back to them to have a motherboard replaced because of a rusted USB port...it was very expensive.
I just scrape the rust off with a knife. Only the outer part is tin plated steel, the contacts should still be gold.
__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:29   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Halmatic 30
Posts: 403
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

I use vasoline on all my connectors. Never had a problem in 40 years.

I read a lot about on-board computer systems. But no information of what is a good led marine monitor with a daylicht screen, 12 volt and a dvi hdmi connector.

Bram
__________________
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:28   #37
Registered User
 
Dauntlessny's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA & Europe
Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Posts: 273
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

I had a computer built for me. Cost $1,000 all in and it gives me all the ports and USB connections I need.

See Bob at Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC

Also with 12 volt power supply and then I found two Samsung LCD monitors that are also 12 volt.
__________________
Richard on M/Y Dauntless
https://dauntlessatsea.com/
Location: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:25   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 238
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I am wondering why one couldn't use one of the integrated systems already available? Both Furuno and Garmin offer most of what you are looking for, off the shelf already.
The price is one issue, a home-made system is a lot less expensive.

Another important issue is not to be tied to a manufacturer's proprietary stuff. Building your own ploter with ocpn and your own charts gives you freedom, and maintainability.

In any case, we use a trasportation mean that is very obsolete, if you want the best technology can offer, fly to your destination.
__________________
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:42   #39
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chesapeake bay
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,822
Re: Building ship computer Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
In any case, we use a trasportation mean that is very obsolete, if you want the best technology can offer, fly to your destination.
Eating fruit is obsolete because we can eat fruit bars.
__________________

__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.