Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 05:24   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

maybe Iīdidnīt use the riht searching terms and maybe Iīm too stupid to understand the how-to right.

When building oc from source for a raspberry pi jessie system how can I get the high-res base world map?

Is there a step by step solution for dummies?

Thanks

Andreas
__________________

Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Andreas...
Could you be a little specific where exactly in https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ized_packaging you got lost so I can improve the instructions?

Thanks

Pavel
__________________

nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:57   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

@nohal: Pavel, thanks for giving me a helping hand .

I understand this guide https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing_linux:rpi2

I found the description from your link also.

I think (but I donīt know) that I have to put the ...tar.xz-file in the same directory where the other source code from the git clone command was saved?

Sorry for beeing such a noop but compiling was not my world since yet

And when I try to walk this way I can try to fix the problem with the wind barbs in the grib plugin. You wrote in the corresponding post "If you build from source, the fix is simple - after the code highlighted in the github link above, set m_pixelMM to "Your screen width in millimetres/your screen horizontal resolution" "
So in the griboverlayfactory.cpp file I have to do the changes. Ok. When looking at the lines 240 to 250 I can found the if..else..endif command with the m_pixelMM-definition. Do I have to change all this m_pixelMM-commands or ignore this and still put a command in a inserted line after the if..else..endif command? How is then the Syntax?
Just m_pixelMM=x.xx (with x.xx = the result of the division you wrote)?

Thanks for your private lessons

Regards

Andreas



And
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:10   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas29 View Post
Hi,

@nohal: Pavel, thanks for giving me a helping hand .

I understand this guide https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing_linux:rpi2

I found the description from your link also.

I think (but I donīt know) that I have to put the ...tar.xz-file in the same directory where the other source code from the git clone command was saved?
The additional GSHHS data files belong to https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/t...ter/data/gshhs where the crude resolution files already are.

Quote:
And when I try to walk this way I can try to fix the problem with the wind barbs in the grib plugin. You wrote in the corresponding post "If you build from source, the fix is simple - after the code highlighted in the github link above, set m_pixelMM to "Your screen width in millimetres/your screen horizontal resolution" "
So in the griboverlayfactory.cpp file I have to do the changes. Ok. When looking at the lines 240 to 250 I can found the if..else..endif command with the m_pixelMM-definition. Do I have to change all this m_pixelMM-commands or ignore this and still put a command in a inserted line after the if..else..endif command? How is then the Syntax?
Just m_pixelMM=x.xx (with x.xx = the result of the division you wrote)?

Thanks for your private lessons

Regards

Andreas
On the, now empty, line 251, you write
Code:
m_pixelMM=x.xx;
Where x.xx is (<your screen width in mm>/<your screen width in pixels>), a number much smaller than 1. Given you use the current master branch code and did not modify anything in that file.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 22:58   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

@nohal: Pavel thanks for your patience. I think that the theme with the changes in the code is clear for me.

But the building-theme sadly not.
In the wiki link you wrote in your first post stand:"Note: Just the crude GSHHS data are now contained in the code repository, to use the higher levels, get the whole dataset from opencpn-gshhs_2.2.4.orig.tar.xz (87mb) "

So when I want to built a version with the "full" base map I have to download the 87mb ...tar.xz-file and put it in my local "built" folder an than run the cmake command with the corresponding parameters?

Regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:53   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas29 View Post
Hi,

@nohal: Pavel thanks for your patience. I think that the theme with the changes in the code is clear for me.

But the building-theme sadly not.
In the wiki link you wrote in your first post stand:"Note: Just the crude GSHHS data are now contained in the code repository, to use the higher levels, get the whole dataset from opencpn-gshhs_2.2.4.orig.tar.xz (87mb) "

So when I want to built a version with the "full" base map I have to download the 87mb ...tar.xz-file and put it in my local "built" folder an than run the cmake command with the corresponding parameters?

Regards

Andreas
No.
You have to download the 87MB file and extract it to your local (already existing and containing 3 files) "<wherever your OpenCPN source is>/data/gshhs/" folder. Then
Code:
cd <wherever your OpenCPN source is>/build/
cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=FULL ..
make
sudo make install
Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:59   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

@nohal: Pavel, thanks for giving me a guiding hand to help me out of the maze

Kind regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55   #8
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,510
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Pavel & Andreas, I'll try to make this clearer in the manual.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 13:30   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 245
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
No.
You have to download the 87MB file and extract it to your local (already existing and containing 3 files) "<wherever your OpenCPN source is>/data/gshhs/" folder. Then
Code:
cd <wherever your OpenCPN source is>/build/
cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=FULL ..
make
sudo make install
Pavel
just to be correct: the file is 68,9 Mb
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 14:59   #10
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,510
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Added this,

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...solution_gshhs
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 00:23   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

@rgleason:



Thanks

Regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:21   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

@nohal: @rgleason:

Sorry I canīt produce a Version with the full base map

I followed this guide: https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ing_linux:rpi2

When I run the "cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=FULL .." command and then "make" and
"sudo make install" I got an error message (see attachment).
When I run the same with "DBUNDLE_GSHHS=CRUDE" all works but with the crude Basic map.
Try to edit the cmake file and delete the lines with the files who are not present. No errors but only crude map

The windbarbs are now ok but the isobars are like the (large) windbarbs. What line do I have to change to solve this (like the windbarbs)?

What is my fault? Why I didnīt get the -l- and -i- files (the poly, the borders and rivers are missing)?

Thanks and regards

Andreas
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Andreas...
Nothing is attached. What exactly is the error message you see?
What exactly is the content of the data/gshhs/ folder in your opencpn source tree?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:36   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany, sailing: Northsea
Boat: Friendship 28
Posts: 209
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Hi,

@nohal: Pavel Iīm sorry. I forgot to load up the attachment, was too fast when I posted the last threat.

So I send it know.

All the files type -l- and -i- are not present in this directory when run the "cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=ON -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=ON -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=FULL .." command.

Regards

Andreas
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fehler.pdf (226.6 KB, 15 views)
Andreas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the go. Not in Prague.
Posts: 5,226
Re: building oc from source with high res base map for dummies

Andreas...
This is the content of the directory, now, after I have placed there the files from the archive I downloaded 3 minutes ago...
Code:
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    3728000 Nov 10 17:18 poly-c-1.dat
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff  168021304 Nov 10 17:18 poly-f-1.dat
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff   33409600 Nov 10 17:18 poly-h-1.dat
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff   10901768 Nov 10 17:18 poly-i-1.dat
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    5170400 Nov 10 17:18 poly-l-1.dat
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff      85144 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_borders_c.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    6055212 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_borders_f.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    1047888 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_borders_h.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff     415616 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_borders_i.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff     159872 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_borders_l.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    1557000 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_rivers_c.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff   21377616 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_rivers_f.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    5811704 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_rivers_h.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    2866008 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_rivers_i.b
-rw-r--r--@  1 nohal  staff    1762496 Nov 10 17:18 wdb_rivers_l.b
I am honestly out of ideas how is it possible it is not there on your system.

And, what is there on your system?

Pavel
__________________

nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building an Autopilot Base AJ_n_Audrey Marine Electronics 35 23-11-2017 18:30
High Res Background Map on Mac LloydW OpenCPN 2 01-10-2016 12:10
Google Earth KAP Large Area Hi Res Charts Steelcat Navigation 36 20-08-2016 23:48
Building New Base for Barient 28 Winch billr Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 5 23-12-2013 18:02

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.