Dave & Jesper
We may have a real problem with BU353 direct connection.
It used to work for me. No more. No problems running via GPSD though.
I have killed gpsd, set BU353 to NMEA
mode and O has connected. Baud rate 4800.
$ lsof /dev/ttyUSB0
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
opencpn 9923 thomas 19u CHR 188,0 0t0 34181 /dev/ttyUSB0
Still nothing appears in the O data source window.
BU353 reported 57600 baude in SIRF mode when I reset i to NMEA
mode. Next I tried QtVlm, nothing until I tried 57600 baud, then all OK!
Clear NMEA stream, gps position etc.
Note that I did not try to run QtVlm and O at the same time!
So it looks like there is a problem in O.
Testing on Linux
Ubuntu 12.04, 64 bit.