Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah
BT Dongle Timing Out

I'm running OpenCPN on win 7 platform with a bluetooth GPS receiver...Globalsat BT-368. Here's what happens:

Turn on dongle, open CPN.

Dongle makes fix, plots boat position.

After about 20 to 30 seconds, the dongle goes to sleep, no longer transmitting the position.

The only way to make it work again is to restart the dongle and OpenCPN. Anyone have any idea what's going on, or how to fix it? Trying to get back to VA from FL...

Thanks
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:38   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah
Re: BT Dongle Timing Out

Update....bluetooth was losing sync after connect. When I initially had paired many moons ago, the computer didn't have any drivers aboard, and I manually installed them. This time, the computer auto-loaded and it paired, just on a different port. So the new issue is this:

The GPS receiver pairs with the computer and reports my position. Then it goes to sleep. OpenCPN loses tracking. The device remains bluetooth paired. Half an hour later, the device reacquires my position, and OpenCPN updates, then it goes back to sleep again, etc. Is this an issue with OpenCPN, or the dongle itself? Thanks
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 16:02   #3

Boat: 29'
Re: BT Dongle Timing Out

...I have vowed to never discuss B_T_...but a search of the forum will turn up stuff...
Windows 7 is unknown to me but XP at least has USB sleep issues (easiest to fix) and BT "stack" issues (hard to fix-try different ones) and of course Network Issues-(lots of them and tweaking them can suck the life right out of you so better leave a "trip plan" for the psychiatrist that might be trying to bring you back from catatonia.)
Good luck.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote