I had the same BSOD problem pop up unexpectedly again today. My boat's navigation
system transmits GPS
sentences on one Bluetooth transmitter, and AIS
sentences on a second transmitter. I connect to both using Bluetooth receivers on my computer that is running O
In this case I was testing a new Bluetooth dongle with my Dell E5430 laptop
running Win 7 64 bit Enterprise. I had the Toshiba Bluetooth drivers configured for GPS on COM40 and AIS
on COM41. I was running O
3.3.1117, since my intention was merely to test Bluetooth connections, not to begin testing of the new beta release yet. But stuff happened, so I have to report on it.
Previously (see prior posts on this thread), I experienced this BSOD problem using a MSI Wind
Netbook running Win XP 32-bit, with GPS mapped to COM41 and AIS mapped to COM40 (reversed from today's configuration), also using Toshiba Bluetooth drivers.
So in today's test, I had the same problem on a very different computer configuration than before (XP vs. Win7, 32-bit vs 64-bit).
Previously I worked around the issue by running XPort to redirect GPS from COM41 to COM12. This time I cannot use XPort because I'm on a 64 bit OS.
There was one particularly noteworthy thing that I noticed just prior to the BSOD. My ownship icon turned grey, so I brought up the NMEA
debug Window to see what was going on. I noticed that identical AIS sentences were coming in on both COM40 and COM41, and no GPS sentences were coming in at all (hence the grey ownship icon). At this point, I went into the Toshiba settings to confirm that I had mapped both COM ports
to the same correct Bluetooth transmitters (I had), and when I went back into O
the BSOD happened before I could do a screen
However, I think this chain of events
is significant. When I first launched, everything was fine, but at some point the COM ports
got corrupted in O
Actually, not everything was fine earlier. I did a screen
grab from when things appeared to be working properly, and afterwards I noticed the beginning of a couple of significant problems.
First, note that the very top line of the debug window shows an AIVDM sentence coming in on COM40. This should be coming in on COM41. It seems to be the first step toward ALL AIS sentences coming in on COM40 instead of COM41. (Perhaps they were all coming in on COM40 at this point, but my screen grab only picked up one of them.)
Note that the filtered sentences on COM40 in the debug window are a result of the fact that I am outputting COM40 to autopilot
, and filtering out all but the sentences that my autopilot
By the way, I ran WinDbg on the crash dump file, and it looks like this problem might be caused by the Toshiba driver, not O. But that begs the question of why the BSOD went away last summer when I was using XPort to remap the GPS COM port.
However, from this debug window you can see a second issue which I believe is a OpenCPN
problem.. During my session on O
I had changed settings for a UDP port (for transmitting sentences to a second instance of O
) from localhost to 127.0.0.1, and you can see that O
started transmitting to both, not properly releasing localhost after I changed it to 127.0.0.1. This could be a contributing factor for a UDP communications
problem that I was discussing on another thread