Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2010, 10:36   #496

Boat: Dufour 35
An alternative to killing gpsd, is to temporary set "NMEA Data Source" to something else than "Network GPSD", for example "None". This is probably a better solution than first killing and then restarting gpsd.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 11:17   #497
Marine Service Provider

I'm back, sorta...

Hello folks....

I'm back online with limited bandwidth for a few days. Currently anchored Nassau waiting weather.....

I believe I have caught up with (or at least read) all the Forum activity in my absence. I really appreciate all the attention to these fora from the regulars, as well as the new participants. Special thanks to Psyches....The thread is alive!

My comments on the state of play:

1. Chart quilting and chart rotation are ready for Beta testing. My Alpha testing underway shows that it at least works, and doesn't segfault too often. As soon as I get some more bandwidth I will package a Beta release as opencpn Version 2.0.1.

2. I am reading and integrating PjotrC's patches for AIS, etc. improvements. Great job, and thanks for the good work. Most of this will become a part of the next release.

3. I have lost the thread of thought on the RouteManager dialog. Seems like a great idea, and nicely done. Any more testing/work on this? Is it ready for integration?

4. Other small patches (e.g. georef ellipse constants, Makefile prefix touchup, uc/lc patch, glib/wxwidgets sockets conflict, etc) accepted and integrated. Thanks to all contributors and testers. This kind of debugging/patching/testing makes my job easy!

5. My understanding of the state of the Mac build is sketchy. Any updates here that need to be included in the next release?

6. I'll have more to say later regarding the discussion about strict license compliance, etc over on the Debian thread. Still organizing my thoughts on this big question....

Other things:
I have spent some time thinking about the course for our development moving forward. This is prompted generally by the appearance, vitality, and quality of code patch contributions just recently. I am thrilled to see more real code coming from the close community represented by the Forum, and I think even more is a good thing. So many features.....

I think we need some non-technical, (dare I say philosophical) discussion about the actual development process we want to pursue moving forward.

For homework, have a look at the following somewhat dated links:

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/index.html

Open Source Projects Manage Themselves? Dream On.

Anyway, thanks again to all readers, testers, contributors, and kibitzers.
I'm proud of this thing, and you should be too.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 11:43   #498

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Dave, welcome back! So glad you're around again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
2. I am reading and integrating PjotrC's patches for AIS, etc. improvements. Great job, and thanks for the good work. Most of this will become a part of the next release.
Totally agree, and glad this is getting integrated. Still needs some testing and feedback - I was prepared to integrate myself after that, but sooner sounds fine to me.

Quote:
3. I have lost the thread of thought on the RouteManager dialog. Seems like a great idea, and nicely done. Any more testing/work on this? Is it ready for integration?
Definitely needed and useful, but the code had some probs on win32, and not enough time from the dev or other to resolve so far. Probably won't take THAT much time, but my new job has kept me beyond busy.

Quote:
4. Other small patches (e.g. georef ellipse constants, Makefile prefix touchup, uc/lc patch, glib/wxwidgets sockets conflict, etc) accepted and integrated. Thanks to all contributors and testers. This kind of debugging/patching/testing makes my job easy!
You've probably seen the sf features/bugs - especially related to licensing etc.

Quote:
5. My understanding of the state of the Mac build is sketchy. Any updates here that need to be included in the next release?
Project checked into cvs trunk and apparently the code now just works. Haven't had that much feedback though. Also did you note the git slave that's operating now, and discussion re: git vs cvs?

Quote:
6. I'll have more to say later regarding the discussion about strict license compliance, etc over on the Debian thread. Still organizing my thoughts on this big question....
Yeah, thanks to Anton, Hamish, and others for their efforts, and we have some decisions to make. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
Other things:
I have spent some time thinking about the course for our development moving forward. This is prompted generally by the appearance, vitality, and quality of code patch contributions just recently. I am thrilled to see more real code coming from the close community represented by the Forum, and I think even more is a good thing. So many features.....

I think we need some non-technical, (dare I say philosophical) discussion about the actual development process we want to pursue moving forward.
Agreed - some solid developers showed up and have provided and are proposing some really good work and ideas.

Looking forward to the future
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 13:33   #499

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
I'm back online with limited bandwidth for a few days. Currently anchored Nassau waiting weather.....
Good to see you online! Pleeeeeeeeease turn the domain back on

Also, there's a new Czech translation and someone alledgedly did Portuguese, trying to get that uploaded.
Old 23-03-2010, 14:31   #500

Weird colour on Brazilian BSB

I get the following toxic green effect on one of the official Brazilian raster charts and a similar one with this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	149
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	14060  
Old 23-03-2010, 15:03   #501

Dave
Welcome back from the Out Islands, I hope you had a real good time.
About Opencpn.org. Checking "whois", I think you tried to put things right march 20:th. The name servers are still wrong though. The should be
At this moment they are the default godaddy servers, you get when no choice is made. If you need a step by step instruction to change this, I can probably help. The godaddy admin interface isn't the smartest.

Thomas
Old 23-03-2010, 15:23   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I get the following toxic green effect on one of the official Brazilian raster charts and a similar one with this one:
Hm....I wonder what's going on here. This used to be a problem, that Dave fixed for 1.3.4 I think. I cannot recreate your problem now, all Brazilian charts I just tried, including the one on your picture, are just right.I'm using the latest CVS.

Thomas
Old 23-03-2010, 16:51   #503

Boat: On the Hard
feature request

Greets:

Hope this is the right place to post feature requests. If not kindly redirect.

What would be really nice, especially on smaller netbooks, is a full screen view option particularly when using track mode. In this mode there is no real need for any controls as the screen is being used as a plotter. I'm assuming that the charts will autoload of course without the need to click through. This feature would be a wonderful option as the putter screen realestate would be maximized.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 01:28   #504

Quote:

2. I am reading and integrating PjotrC's patches for AIS, etc. improvements.
Dave, Mark...

If I can help in any way with the patches (edit, reformat, document), just let me know...

Piotr
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 03:39   #505

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
Combined patches

Hi all,

Nice to see you back Dave. And thanks a lot for such a wonderfull project!

Quote:
I tried to import the patch from sredna plus Psyches tweaks and they seems to work for me (Fedora GNU/Linux).
I did some cleanup to these patches: there was a lot of garbage (no offense intended) in the patch due to autotools version change. I also combined all the patch + zip files + tweaks in one single patch file attached below. It applies to yesterday CVS.

I did the same with sredna's Fine grained viewport control patches. The combined patch is attached below as well.

For both I also added a small note in ChangeLog included in respective patch.

I've not yet tried AIS patches. PjotrC can you provide a one file patch plus binary files? It'd really be easier to try it this way. I did it with this command:
Code:
[me@localhost opencpn-devel]$ diff -urN ../opencpn-devel.orig/ . >../filename.patch
You might do the same from your development branch.

I hope it might help some of you ;-)

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Jean-Eudes
Attached Files
File Type: doc 20100118-sredna.patch.doc (4.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: doc 20100214-sredna+Psyches.patch.doc (43.0 KB, 67 views)
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 05:20   #506

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Hi all.

Just to confirm, I also get weird colors on ALL my Brazilian .bsb charts.
You have to click the night vision command 4 times to get it right.
I think the Brazilian charts are using a non conventional color mode.
Old 24-03-2010, 05:36   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Hi all.

Just to confirm, I also get weird colors on ALL my Brazilian .bsb charts.
You have to click the night vision command 4 times to get it right.
I think the Brazilian charts are using a non conventional color mode.
Thanks.. perhaps someone one windows could confirm this on seaclear or maxsea.. they are official government charts so I shouldnt think theyre faulty per se?
Old 24-03-2010, 06:30   #508

Windows Vista, OpenCPN 1.3.6 original - same as ipnd (lots of green)... SeaClear II.. Chart 160701.KAP... OK (nothing green in there).

P.
Old 24-03-2010, 06:47   #509

OpenCPN crashes when ending empty route (after <delete route>)

Nothing critical, but crashes are better avoided...

1. start OCPN 1.3.6
2. define some route with the mouse
3. delete this route OR delete <all> routes
4. click Create Route tool
5. click right mouse button on the chart, select End Route
crash

Just for the record, I appended the statement

m_pMouseRoute = NULL;

to the switch cases handling ID_RT_MENU_DELETE and ID_RT_MENU_DELETEALL in file chcanv.cpp.
This seems to solve the problem.
Old 24-03-2010, 06:49   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Hm....I wonder what's going on here. This used to be a problem, that Dave fixed for 1.3.4 I think. I cannot recreate your problem now, all Brazilian charts I just tried, including the one on your picture, are just right.I'm using the latest CVS
Thanks, Thomas. I think I'm on 1.3.6 original.. I think? Otherwise its CVS. Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Windows Vista, OpenCPN 1.3.6 original - same as ipnd (lots of green)... SeaClear II.. Chart 160701.KAP... OK (nothing green in there).
Thanks Pjotr, and thanks for confirming I'm not hallucinating.. 16701 is purple at my end