Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 17:01   #151

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Trying to download latest version from the link provided. Get a message saying files are corrupted and to try another copy of the program. The link suggests other portals but I get the same result from all that I've tried.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 17:11   #152

The very latest version can be downloaded from here OpenCPN | Get OpenCPN at SourceForge.net

I've just downloaded it again with no problems. This is not a beta - it is the very latest version released on 30th September. You need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one.
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 17:13   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
The very latest version can be downloaded from here OpenCPN | Get OpenCPN at SourceForge.net

I've just downloaded it again with no problems. This is not a beta - it is the very latest version released on 30th September. You need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one.
Ah, ha....thanks! I didnt uninstall the old one first. I'll try it now. Tony
Old 01-10-2009, 17:38   #154

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post

Then there is a bug:
upon installation oCPN should check for an existing old version and request deinstallation or even do it automatically
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 17:48   #155

Woops - completely uninstalled, cleaned the registry and tried a new download. Same problem. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2009, 00:52   #156

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
CM93v2 particular file

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Wa-Webfoot....

That particular chart probably has poor geo-referencing data embedded. We have seen that type of behavior before.

Could you send me the chart, and I'll have a look?

Dave
Sorry for the silly question, but I never needed it and can not find the solution though I remember, I had read it:

how to find that one single chart within 21.413?

oCPN tells me it is an E, ok, but the number?

MaxSea tells a number that does not exist as such, at least not as a directly acccesible file:

Source of data
Compilation scale: 25000
Digitizing date: 20060623
Source indication: GB,UKHO,graph,980
Horizontal datum: WGS 1984
C-MAP chart code: 31-03850
Quality rating: C-MAP "high quality" chart
Marks navigational - System of: IALA B
Vertical datum for heights: Mean higher high water
Longitude offset to WGS-84: 148.4 Merc.m
Latitude offset to WGS-84: -172.7 Merc.m
Recording date: 20090511

Thanks
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:24   #157

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
1.3.4 Auto-Center?

Running 1.3.4 on XP Pro SP3 w/SR162 AIS Receiver. Installed _over_ older versions. In earlier versions OCPN properly displayed ownship and relevant AIS argets. Essentially no issues with routes, although I have not yet tried "Upload to GPS" or "Send to Autopilot" due to existing wiring layout on boat. Yesterday testing 1.3.4 on a local river I noted (for what I believe was the first time) that OCPN was automatically keeping ownship centered on the chart, and was automatically opening the next chart when necessary. I recall running "off the chart" with earlier testing. Is this behavior new with 1.3.4, or did I miss something in earlier versions and betas? In any case this "feature" is useful to me.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:12   #158

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Kerrydeare #157

Quote:
In earlier versions OCPN properly displayed ownship and relevant AIS argets.
What problems are you having with own ship display? Zoomed out the own ship has a 'cross-hair' icon which changes to a 'real' ship icon when zoomed in. All AIS targets are showing normally at all zoom levels. I am running under both XP Pro as well as Vista.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:21   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
... Kerrydeare #157 ... What problems are you having with own ship display? ...
Perhaps poor phrasing on my end. No "problems" but am observing that 1.3.4 seems to automatically keep ownship centered, and automatically open a new chart when necessary. Did not olbserve this in earlier versions and betas.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05   #160

CM93 rendering

Hi all,

I've some points to rise:

1) in CM93, the object "rock always uncovered (above sea level)" is not shown at all. It should be a thick dot (or a black circle filled brown as in S57 charts)

2) both in CM93 and S57 the 2 objects "rock covered and uncovered" and "rock always covered" have the same symbol (shoud be different: an asterisk and a plus)

3) using OCPN on a 800x600 screens has some problems:
3a) the status bar is unreadable (try to make chars bigger and shorten information like: TrueScale:4000(2x), ° instead of Deg, M instead of NMi, etc.). Otherwise the important cruise info and cursor info should be shown in some other way.
3b) the object query window sometimes goes out of screen (on the right) without sliding bar.

4) on some old machines (w2k), the icon transparency does not work (the side green arrows and the pencil appear in a black square)

5) the RAM utilization rises countinuously while watching different maps (expecially CM93). Maybe too much chart cache (chart seen less recently should be discarded). Anyway the ram consumption grows up beyond any reasonable limit (I guess 100MB used by the process OpenCPN.exe should be a reasonable limit expecially for old machines).

Ciao, Marco.
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 14:37   #161

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Latest CVS (4th of oct) does not compile on karmic

Code:
g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"opencpn\" -DVERSION=\"0.1\" -DINSTALL_PREFIX=\"/usr/local\" -I. -I././include -I././src/nmea0183 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I././src/mygdal  -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -Wall -g -DocpnUSE_GTK_OPTIMIZE -DUSE_S57 -DUSE_GLU_TESS  -Wall -g -fexceptions -fno-stack-protector -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -MT chart1.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/chart1.Tpo -c -o chart1.o `test -f 'src/chart1.cpp' || echo './'`src/chart1.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:24,
                 from ././include/nmea.h:94,
                 from src/chart1.cpp:221:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: ‘GSocket’ has a previous declaration here
In file included from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/gsocket.h:179,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/sckaddr.h:20,
                 from /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:24,
                 from ././include/nmea.h:94,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/unix/gsockunx.h:40: error: using typedef-name ‘GSocket’ after ‘class’
/usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h:120: error: ‘GSocket’ has a previous declaration here
In file included from ././include/nmea.h:94,
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h: In member function ‘wxSocketError wxSocketBase::LastError() const’:
/usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/socket.h:118: error: ‘struct _GSocket’ has no member named ‘GetError’
make: *** [chart1.o] Error 1
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 18:42   #162
Marine Service Provider

GPS-Marco:

Thanks for the input. Could you post the Lat/Lon of some points where rocks are symbolized incorrectly? This would save me lots of time....

idpnd:
Code:
 		 		Latest CVS (4th of oct) does not compile on karmic :banghead:
This is a known wxwidgets bug. Affects all wxWidgets apps, not just opencpn.
There is a workaround, but I have not tried it....
#10883 (conflict with glib 2.21 in GSocket) – wxWidgets – Trac

Blubaju, and others....
Opencpn V1.3.4 is complete as downloaded. It does not need to have the previous version uninstalled before loading. If you have used a previous version, the config files will be saved and re-used. Thus, there should be no changes in your chart files or settings.

If you get a corrupted download, try again. We've had hundreds of successful downloads.....

Blubaju:
Any luck with simplifying your system to help isolate your opencpn fault problem? No one else is reporting random disappearances like you describe. Clearly opencpn is sensitve to something about your particular configuration. I'm still naturally curious, and bugs like this don't go away by themselves....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 18:52   #163

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
KerryDeare #159

I think perhaps you have the Auto follow button depressed (left of the tool wrench)
this will always center your ship and move the maps automatically.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:02   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
... KerryDeare #159 ... I think perhaps you have the Auto follow button depressed ... this will always center your ship and move the maps automatically.
I think this is what happened. I was under the impression that "Auto Follow" was only a "momentary switch" rather than a "setting." Thanks.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:11   #165

CM93 element display

Hi Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
GPS-Marco:

Thanks for the input. Could you post the Lat/Lon of some points where rocks are symbolized incorrectly? This would save me lots of time....
Thanks
Dave
One rock (above sea level) not displayed (in CM93) is at 41°17.916'N 009°20.581'E

Around that point (in a mile) there are tens of other similar rocks not shown.

For the other type of rocks (covered and covered/uncovered) that are displayed using the same symbol, I'll give you some precise examples in few hours.

Ciao, Marco.
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote