Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 06:34   #961

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Beta Test / Technical

So, now Pavel has asked Hakan to issue
git rebase origin/master
to update from origin/master. What is this? Git Rebase
"In Git, there are two main ways to integrate changes from one branch into another: the merge and the rebase. In this section you’ll learn what rebasing is, how to do it, why it’s a pretty amazing tool, and in what cases you won’t want to use it."

With the rebase command, you can take all the changes that were committed on one branch and replay them on another one.
This appears to be useful when you've written some code on the side and want to bring it back into the mainstream master.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 07:45   #962

Boat: Najad 34

Pavel for info..
WinXP; Crash report with new georef.ccp:
Before any hacking from me, with new git fetch from today I released and copied the exe file to my normal environment. Running fine but since I don't have a GPS connected here at home I used the VDR plugin. A few seconds after start simulating OCPN crashes.
See atached PDF print for NMEA window and log file extracts.
(Sorry no VC release run report since I havn't set up a total running environment for VC. Please tell me if that could help and I will learn how to do that as well)
To confirm I did the same test with the official 3.2.0 exe file and it was running fine with VDR simulation.
Håkan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crash report new georef.ccp.pdf (200.2 KB, 66 views)
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:07   #963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Pavel for info..
WinXP; Crash report with new georef.ccp:
Sorry... I was lying. There where some of my hacking left. It's working fine with a clean new fetch including the georef.ccp.
Expl: As a start I was trying to add the time to cursor hack:
Code:
In file chcanv.cpp (2 positions!!!!):
find
s.Printf( wxString("%03d° ", wxConvUTF8 ), (int)brg );
s << FormatDistanceAdaptive( dist );
After add:
if (gSog>0) {
s << wxString::Format(_T(" %1.0f "), dist/gSog*60 ) << _("Min."); }

In file chart1.cpp:
find:
s.Printf( wxString("%03d° ", wxConvUTF8 ), (int) brg );
s << cc1->FormatDistanceAdaptive( dist );
After add:
if (gSog>0) {
s << wxString::Format(_T(" %1.0f "), dist/gSog*60 ) << _("Min."); }
When I thought the release code was clean one of the three changes was not commented out - sorry.

Now I will try to find my crash cause instead

Håkan
Old 29-03-2013, 06:37   #964

Quote:
(Sorry no VC release run report since I havn't set up a total running environment for VC. Please tell me if that could help and I will learn how to do that as well)
One step Håkan is to pick Tools > Settings > Expert Settings (so that is highlighted.
That should give you a Call stack in the lower right window when you are debugging. Then just Debug and use the program, until it pauses with a "Break". I have been taking a picture (control-printscreen) but that may not be necessary for the purpose. Then you hit Yes, the Debug program pauses. and you right click in the Call Stack window and select "All". Then right click again and pick Copy or Control-C and then paste into editor (I use notepad++) and then save to a doc file and attach to forum post.

You can also control debugging by saying to start again "Continue" or to "Stop Debugging". I usually say continue to see if it will still work, and step through the problem.

You want your Call Stack to have line numbers. If there are no line numbers you have not copied the right Debug plugin to the build/plugin directory, if you are testing plugins. If you are testing OpenCpn, as you are doing, I think you will usuallly have the lines in the text file.

I hope I am not stating the obvious here. Best R.
Old 29-03-2013, 14:59   #965

Rick..
No problem at all with a possible obvious stating. First, you can always learn. Second, the opposite is worse.
Working with VC 2010 is a nice experience. The helping tools and the instant fault markers are very practical.
Now I've as a learning practice implemented the status bar time-to-pointer patch. Thanks to useris for the initial code as of thread #1.
I've made some additions as a nice to have. That is to show the time in minutes, hours or days distance dependent.
Function: When SOG is more than 1 knot the time to pointer maintaining actual speed is shown in the status bar. Shown in minutes if less then one hour, in hours if less then a day and else in days.
If you want to test it:
In chart1.cpp at around row 4790 include my change between the first and last sentence in this window:
Code:
        s << cc1->FormatDistanceAdaptive( dist );
        //Hakan: Print minutes to cursor with actual speed    
            if (gSog>1) {
                double timetodist = dist/gSog;
                    if (timetodist >= 1 && timetodist < 24)
                        s << wxString::Format(_T(" %1.1f "), timetodist)<< _("h ");
                    if (timetodist >= 24) 
                        s << wxString::Format(_T(" %1.1f "), timetodist/24)<< _("d "); 
                    if (timetodist < 1)
                        s << wxString::Format(_T(" %1.0f "), timetodist*60)<< _("min ");}
        if( GetStatusBar() ) SetStatusText( s, STAT_FIELD_CURSOR_BRGRNG );
And the same code to chcany.cpp at around row 7330.
useris suggests a second place in chcany.cpp but I couldn't debug that timer involved and I also believe it's rarely used. The chcany.cpp seems to handle status bar printing only when the mouse pointer is moving. If you put the change only into chart1.cpp the time-to-pointer is visible only when the pointer is not moving.
It's debugged and released in Win32 and I have test it using VDR simulation. Not in the boat since it's hard to get sufficient speed while fixed in the ice.
Many thanks for your help with git, cmake and VC handling. That was a huge help to complete the development wiki for to climb over the first threshold. This little coding will not make a great impression on our excellent developers but one has to start somewhere.
Håkan
Old 29-03-2013, 15:39   #966

I agree with what you say Håkan about taking small first steps, congratulations! I hope to learn more every day, and hope we can share and help each other in that process. We are lucky to have a great crew of advisers and talented people here. - I'm going to try your mod.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08   #967

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel

Test today (first day under sail here in Holland with only 7 degrees C air and 2 degrees water temp). Error with com ports implementation under XP in version 3.2
Could not get the interfaces to work. Finally did a complete de-installation and an installlation of a 2.4 version. NMEA via comports worked fine again. Do not know where the error is. Under 3.2 I did not get any NMEA stream data though the same comport settings under 2.4 gave full info on OCPN. Any ideas?

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13   #968

Boat: Phantom 19

Peter...
No idea until we see your config and logfile... So far there were no reports of problems like this, so I suspect a problem in the config rather than in the code.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:01   #969

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel

Problem solved. Not related to OCPN. Apologies.

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:36   #970

Re: Beta Test / Technical 3.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweller View Post
Just started using OpenCPN 3.2.0 and noticed a bug (I think).

In the routes/waypoint window, if I click on an eyeball to display the route on the screen, I get a pop-up, "Do you also want to toggle the visibility of shared waypoints being part of this route,"

and the program hangs, whether you click "yes" or "no." Have to force quite the program and re-start it.

This is on a MacBook Air, OSX 10.8.2

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
Ron
Still having the same problem--always happens, the program hangs and I have to force quit it.

I've attached the Apple report (in 2 parts) in the hope that it might be helpful:
Attached Files
File Type: doc apple report-1.doc (301.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: doc apple report-2.doc (302.5 KB, 84 views)
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 05:36   #971

Boat: Northshore, Southerly 110, 10.30m
Silent error when /dev/ttyUSB is not writable.

Under Linux with 3.2.0 if the GPS/AIS device is not writable, OpenCP fails silently in the graphic output.

In general Linux distro requires to be member of dialout of uucp group to access to serial in devices in rw. By default standard users are not member of these special groups.

OpenCPN should notify the error clearly when opening in rw a device fails when the user click "apply" or "ok". That would enable less advanced users to correct such error.

Dominig
dominig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 17:46   #972

Which branch should I be checking out for grib_enhancement/new_grib development? I was checking out sean/grib_enhancements and ptizef/NEW_GRIB
depending on which one. Then they were merged in sean/grib_enhancements.

I just want to be sure which is the development branch for grib and weather_routing_pi (probably still GIT wx-rte plugin from sean/grib_enhancements)

remotes/origin/master
remotes/origin/servicee/_release321?
Old 24-04-2013, 18:00   #973
Marine Service Provider

rgleason....

github master now has the "official" grib enhancements merged. That is where you should be playing. Any further development will make its way into master by means of pull requests or explicit merge.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34   #974

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

I notice the problem of exporting multiple waypoint files still has not been corrected in the new version? Using the bottom tab ´export all visible´ does exactly that,exports everything you see on the map,not everything visible in the Route Manager´s waypoint box.

Highlighting all the waypoints in the box only allows you to DELETE,not EXPORT.

I often have a large number of POI´s contained in ONE .gpx file, i.e. I list all my POI´s by country. Each time I import one of these multiple wpt .gpx files for editing,it is impossible to EXPORT them again,unless you do it one by one.

The only way out at the moment is to use an Xml copy editor with the present .gpx file and then edit the file. I was rather hoping this would be fixed in this new version.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	export waypoints.png
Views:	148
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	60275  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45   #975

Boat: Phantom 19

Tore...
As I already wrote, this is already implemented for the upcoming 3.3 beta cycle.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote