Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49   #841
Marine Service Provider

Re: Beta Test / Technical

gpshephe....

Sorry about your bsod.

Any more info you can give us would be very helpful. Logfile, screenshot, and the setup scenario. If it is reproducible, so much the better.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:19   #842

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
gpshephe....

Sorry about your bsod.

Any more info you can give us would be very helpful. Logfile, screenshot, and the setup scenario. If it is reproducible, so much the better.

Thanks
Dave
Haven't had the BSOD since yesterday. If it happens again, I will send them. Don't know about screenshot though, it's blue, I know that much. I keep having another issue, though, maybe you can help. I don't get consistent results with my GPS. I have tried two USB GPS's. A ND-100S and BU-353. Sometimes data shows up in the NMEA data stream window, sometimes not. Mostly not. I wonder If I installed correctly. When the data stream shows up, I was looking for a window that gave me my GPS data though other than the NMEA data. Which makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. Do you have to be moving? I've just tried in the slip.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:45   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Haven't had the BSOD since yesterday. If it happens again, I will send them. Don't know about screenshot though, it's blue, I know that much. I keep having another issue, though, maybe you can help. I don't get consistent results with my GPS. I have tried two USB GPS's. A ND-100S and BU-353. Sometimes data shows up in the NMEA data stream window, sometimes not. Mostly not. I wonder If I installed correctly. When the data stream shows up, I was looking for a window that gave me my GPS data though other than the NMEA data. Which makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. Do you have to be moving? I've just tried in the slip.
Spoke too soon. Just happened again. I haven't done this before with OpenCPN. Can you walk me through what you need from me as far as logs and things. Also, how I upload into here, I guess?

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 01-06-2012, 18:46   #844

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Haven't had the BSOD since yesterday. If it happens again, I will send them. Don't know about screenshot though, it's blue, I know that much.
I think you have to get an actual physical camera for that screenshot ;-)

(In a few of the cases the BSOD actually has some useful info, like what driver crashed)

Theoretically an application (like OpenCPN) should not be capable of causing a bsod. It is lacking the privileges necessary to screw the OS to that point. Usually it is a driver (which runs in the kernel with higher privileges) that crashes. So the first thing you should ask yourself is whether you installed any such lately. New USB device? Other new h/w?

If you are running OpenGL mode it could be your graphics card driver crashing. In that case the first thing to do is go to Samsung support site and check if they have an updated graphics driver for your laptop.
/j
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:34   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
I think you have to get an actual physical camera for that screenshot ;-)

(In a few of the cases the BSOD actually has some useful info, like what driver crashed)

Theoretically an application (like OpenCPN) should not be capable of causing a bsod. It is lacking the privileges necessary to screw the OS to that point. Usually it is a driver (which runs in the kernel with higher privileges) that crashes. So the first thing you should ask yourself is whether you installed any such lately. New USB device? Other new h/w?

If you are running OpenGL mode it could be your graphics card driver crashing. In that case the first thing to do is go to Samsung support site and check if they have an updated graphics driver for your laptop.
/j
Now your asking for it OpenGL, haven't heard that term in a while. Would I have had to change something in W7 for that? Sorry , not illterate , but definitely not a nerd either. I didn't get a BSOD in 2.5 and I've gotten them regularly since going to 2.6, so OpenCPN 2.6 must be exercising code that 2.5 didn't I guess. Should I go back to 2.5? Or try to solve this? I'm open to either. Not going cruising for a couple months.

Old 01-06-2012, 19:44   #846

I checked my driver status. It's current

Old 01-06-2012, 19:49   #847
Marine Service Provider

gpshephe....

Lets look at your configuration and log first.

Start Opencpn. In the toolbar->Help icon ("?"), you will see some text that tells where your config file and logfile are located.

Attach those two files separately to a posting in this Forum...See the little "paper clip" in the toolbar above me ^^^? You will need to rename them to opencpn.ini.doc and opencpn.log.doc in order to attach them to the forum post.

What kind of GPS are you using?

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-06-2012, 20:32   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
gpshephe....

Lets look at your configuration and log first.

Start Opencpn. In the toolbar->Help icon ("?"), you will see some text that tells where your config file and logfile are located.

Attach those two files separately to a posting in this Forum...See the little "paper clip" in the toolbar above me ^^^? You will need to rename them to opencpn.ini.doc and opencpn.log.doc in order to attach them to the forum post.

What kind of GPS are you using?

Thanks
Dave
USB to Serial
ND-100S
BU-353

renamed to .doc

When I tried to upload, I got this
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Old 01-06-2012, 20:39   #849
Marine Service Provider

gpshephe...

Well, I'm stumped. Never seen that error on upload. Anyone else with ideas?

Dave
Old 01-06-2012, 21:15   #850

I tried them one at a time , same thing. I want to get another PC, strictly for use with OpenCPN. This one is a new one, but I have a lot of other software loaded on it. It's no different than other PC's I guess, some are messier than mine I bet. I wonder if it has something to do with my id? I have seen that message before in uploads. How about sending them in an email?

Old 01-06-2012, 21:30   #851
Marine Service Provider

gpshephe...

Sure, send to me bdbcat (at) yahoo.com
Dave
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49   #852

Hallo everybody, I'm new here.

I am running opencpn (version 2.6.1729) on a arm single board computer
(pandaboard, based on the omap4 processor) with ubuntu 11.10 as os

the compilation of opencpn from source worked fine,
but I had run-time crashes when I try to read SNC map files.
I am not a c/c++ expert, but looking a bit into the code I found the points at which the crashes happen, and I implemented some workaround, so that now it seems to work fine.

The problem was is in the source file s57chart.cpp, and the it seems to be related to type cast.
You can find the file with my modifications at this link
(I could not attach it):

http://personalpages.to.infn.it/~mal...7chart_mod.cpp

the modified lines are tagged with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the words "my modifications".

maybe they can be included in the development repository...

regards,

simone
simomald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37   #853
Marine Service Provider

simone....

Thanks for the report.

Well, that's odd. As you no doubt have found out, pt->x is a double. So, on this platform, the automatic conversion from float to double is not working right without an intermediate step of moving the value from the FPU to the CPU. I think on intel CPUs, the compiler (when optimized to -O2) leaves the float value in the FPU, and does a hardware conversion.

Interesting test: If you build with -O0 (no optimization) does it work right as original? Be interesting to look at the generated assembly code at that point for the various platforms and optimization levels.

Anyway, I note your patch, and it will find its way into the source tree after the upcoming 3.0 Release.

Thanks
Dave
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51   #854

I had krash after krash trying to install S57 Charts, There is definitely a problem of some nature, as i did not have that much problem before.
Try to correct this before going into further please.
Regards
P_dub
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20   #855

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
I had krash after krash trying to install S57 Charts, There is definitely a problem of some nature, as i did not have that much problem before.
Try to correct this before going into further please.
Regards
P_dub
I have no such problems with ENC charts.
Please give all details regarding the charts as well as attaching your log file.
Which was the last beta version without this problem?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote