Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49   #841
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,494
Re: Beta Test / Technical

gpshephe....

Sorry about your bsod.

Any more info you can give us would be very helpful. Logfile, screenshot, and the setup scenario. If it is reproducible, so much the better.

Thanks
Dave
__________________

__________________
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:19   #842
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
gpshephe....

Sorry about your bsod.

Any more info you can give us would be very helpful. Logfile, screenshot, and the setup scenario. If it is reproducible, so much the better.

Thanks
Dave
Haven't had the BSOD since yesterday. If it happens again, I will send them. Don't know about screenshot though, it's blue, I know that much. I keep having another issue, though, maybe you can help. I don't get consistent results with my GPS. I have tried two USB GPS's. A ND-100S and BU-353. Sometimes data shows up in the NMEA data stream window, sometimes not. Mostly not. I wonder If I installed correctly. When the data stream shows up, I was looking for a window that gave me my GPS data though other than the NMEA data. Which makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. Do you have to be moving? I've just tried in the slip.
__________________

__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:45   #843
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Haven't had the BSOD since yesterday. If it happens again, I will send them. Don't know about screenshot though, it's blue, I know that much. I keep having another issue, though, maybe you can help. I don't get consistent results with my GPS. I have tried two USB GPS's. A ND-100S and BU-353. Sometimes data shows up in the NMEA data stream window, sometimes not. Mostly not. I wonder If I installed correctly. When the data stream shows up, I was looking for a window that gave me my GPS data though other than the NMEA data. Which makes me wonder if I've done something wrong. Do you have to be moving? I've just tried in the slip.
Spoke too soon. Just happened again. I haven't done this before with OpenCPN. Can you walk me through what you need from me as far as logs and things. Also, how I upload into here, I guess?
__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 19:46   #844
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2008
Boat: Journeyman
Posts: 705
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
Haven't had the BSOD since yesterday. If it happens again, I will send them. Don't know about screenshot though, it's blue, I know that much.
I think you have to get an actual physical camera for that screenshot ;-)

(In a few of the cases the BSOD actually has some useful info, like what driver crashed)

Theoretically an application (like OpenCPN) should not be capable of causing a bsod. It is lacking the privileges necessary to screw the OS to that point. Usually it is a driver (which runs in the kernel with higher privileges) that crashes. So the first thing you should ask yourself is whether you installed any such lately. New USB device? Other new h/w?

If you are running OpenGL mode it could be your graphics card driver crashing. In that case the first thing to do is go to Samsung support site and check if they have an updated graphics driver for your laptop.
/j
__________________
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:34   #845
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
I think you have to get an actual physical camera for that screenshot ;-)

(In a few of the cases the BSOD actually has some useful info, like what driver crashed)

Theoretically an application (like OpenCPN) should not be capable of causing a bsod. It is lacking the privileges necessary to screw the OS to that point. Usually it is a driver (which runs in the kernel with higher privileges) that crashes. So the first thing you should ask yourself is whether you installed any such lately. New USB device? Other new h/w?

If you are running OpenGL mode it could be your graphics card driver crashing. In that case the first thing to do is go to Samsung support site and check if they have an updated graphics driver for your laptop.
/j
Now your asking for it OpenGL, haven't heard that term in a while. Would I have had to change something in W7 for that? Sorry , not illterate , but definitely not a nerd either. I didn't get a BSOD in 2.5 and I've gotten them regularly since going to 2.6, so OpenCPN 2.6 must be exercising code that 2.5 didn't I guess. Should I go back to 2.5? Or try to solve this? I'm open to either. Not going cruising for a couple months.
__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:44   #846
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Beta Test / Technical

I checked my driver status. It's current
__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:49   #847
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,494
Re: Beta Test / Technical

gpshephe....

Lets look at your configuration and log first.

Start Opencpn. In the toolbar->Help icon ("?"), you will see some text that tells where your config file and logfile are located.

Attach those two files separately to a posting in this Forum...See the little "paper clip" in the toolbar above me ^^^? You will need to rename them to opencpn.ini.doc and opencpn.log.doc in order to attach them to the forum post.


What kind of GPS are you using?

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:32   #848
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
gpshephe....

Lets look at your configuration and log first.

Start Opencpn. In the toolbar->Help icon ("?"), you will see some text that tells where your config file and logfile are located.

Attach those two files separately to a posting in this Forum...See the little "paper clip" in the toolbar above me ^^^? You will need to rename them to opencpn.ini.doc and opencpn.log.doc in order to attach them to the forum post.


What kind of GPS are you using?

Thanks
Dave
USB to Serial
ND-100S
BU-353

renamed to .doc

When I tried to upload, I got this
Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:39   #849
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,494
Re: Beta Test / Technical

gpshephe...

Well, I'm stumped. Never seen that error on upload. Anyone else with ideas?

Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 22:15   #850
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Beta Test / Technical

I tried them one at a time , same thing. I want to get another PC, strictly for use with OpenCPN. This one is a new one, but I have a lot of other software loaded on it. It's no different than other PC's I guess, some are messier than mine I bet. I wonder if it has something to do with my id? I have seen that message before in uploads. How about sending them in an email?
__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 22:30   #851
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,494
Re: Beta Test / Technical

gpshephe...

Sure, send to me bdbcat (at) yahoo.com
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:49   #852
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Hallo everybody, I'm new here.

I am running opencpn (version 2.6.1729) on a arm single board computer
(pandaboard, based on the omap4 processor) with ubuntu 11.10 as os

the compilation of opencpn from source worked fine,
but I had run-time crashes when I try to read SNC map files.
I am not a c/c++ expert, but looking a bit into the code I found the points at which the crashes happen, and I implemented some workaround, so that now it seems to work fine.

The problem was is in the source file s57chart.cpp, and the it seems to be related to type cast.
You can find the file with my modifications at this link
(I could not attach it):

http://personalpages.to.infn.it/~mal...7chart_mod.cpp

the modified lines are tagged with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the words "my modifications".

maybe they can be included in the development repository...

regards,

simone
__________________
simomald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37   #853
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,494
Re: Beta Test / Technical

simone....

Thanks for the report.

Well, that's odd. As you no doubt have found out, pt->x is a double. So, on this platform, the automatic conversion from float to double is not working right without an intermediate step of moving the value from the FPU to the CPU. I think on intel CPUs, the compiler (when optimized to -O2) leaves the float value in the FPU, and does a hardware conversion.

Interesting test: If you build with -O0 (no optimization) does it work right as original? Be interesting to look at the generated assembly code at that point for the various platforms and optimization levels.

Anyway, I note your patch, and it will find its way into the source tree after the upcoming 3.0 Release.

Thanks
Dave
__________________
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51   #854
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 377
Re: Beta Test / Technical

I had krash after krash trying to install S57 Charts, There is definitely a problem of some nature, as i did not have that much problem before.
Try to correct this before going into further please.
Regards
P_dub
__________________
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20   #855
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,125
Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
I had krash after krash trying to install S57 Charts, There is definitely a problem of some nature, as i did not have that much problem before.
Try to correct this before going into further please.
Regards
P_dub
I have no such problems with ENC charts.
Please give all details regarding the charts as well as attaching your log file.
Which was the last beta version without this problem?

Thomas
__________________

__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beta Marine Diesel michaelmrc Engines and Propulsion Systems 48 23-03-2016 14:44
Need some technical advice....antennas. Just a Tinch Marine Electronics 15 01-12-2007 16:57
Blue Sea Systems Technical Brief GordMay Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 0 16-03-2007 05:16
technical difficulties witchcraft The Sailor's Confessional 1 30-05-2005 15:09
Dow Corning Technical Manual GordMay The Library 0 12-04-2005 17:25


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.