Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:55   #571

Boat: TINTEL (36ft Hoek design) see https://www.moree.nl/tintel
I can natuarely only check a limited amount of data. So I checked some very remote places I once visited and am familiar with. The data is always there but NOT always indicated on the smaller scales and ONLY visible on the larges scale when the cursor is at the EXACT position of the relevant shoal or island.

It is therefore that I suggest that ALL available outlines always show up at ANY scale.

Peter
petermoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52   #572

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Thomas,
I remember that the mother of electronic navigation, Cmap ECS, had a feature that warned you if there was not sufficient water depth on a planned route (with some distance left and right).
Is there a reason this feature is not yet available in OpenCPN? At least we would be warned if there was an atol ahead, even if it wasn't shown on the current map.
Klaas
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:31   #573

Hi OpenCPN,

OpenCPN crashes now after screen draw but before toolbar and chart. tried uninstalling and re-installing still same problem. there must be settings stored on machine which do not get removed on uninstall. where can i edit chart location back in so it starts?

Using 2.1.0 (created on my machine: 28/4/2010) Vista with CM93 2009 charts - nice. went into settings and removed the charts to add CM93 - 2010 charts but decided to close program before adding new. when i open the program i get a crash. in the debug i get:

Unhandled exception at 0x0041b6dc in opencpn.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfffffffc. in new.cpp at:

-> while ((p = malloc(size)) == 0)
if (_callnewh(size) == 0)
{
// report no memory
staticconst std::bad_alloc nomem;
_RAISE(nomem);
}
return (p);
Antony Blackwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11   #574

how to reset on vista

Found the folder retaining the settings on Vista.

there is an OpenCPN folder left in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming (where <username> is the name of the logon session) folder, this can be found easliy by clicking on the start menu button and then at the top of the menu on the right hand side is the <username> folder.

I clicked through to the roaming folder and renamed the 'OpenCPN' folder to 'OpenCPN1' found in there after uninstalling the program so that the re-install could create a new one. You may have other items in here that you may need so i did not delete it.
Antony Blackwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 17:39   #575

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris blair View Post
Dave,

You may already have this but today offshore I noticed when I zoom in I lose sight of the ship even when auto follow is on. Pressing auto follow finds it again but shouldn't be needed. Also I got the stretched icons previously reported in the ICW. System is Windows XP pro SP3. Build 911.

Regards,
Chris
SV Toucan Dream

Did you zoom in by scrolling with the mouse wheel? If you enabled wheel zoom to cursor it turns off auto follow. That doesn't happen when you click the zoom icons. It probably doesn't happen with the mouse wheel if you don't enable wheel zoom to cursor.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 03:42   #576

No way on my recently installed Ubuntu 10.04

Hi all:

Feed up of windows.. i installed the latest Ubuntu 10.04 using the windows installer http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-instal

Well up to here all was nice.. then went to download and install Opencpn....An tryed all three versions

old 1.3.6 ... new BETA 2.1.0 and new 2.1.0 for 64 bits...
And as when I tryed to install either the old or the newest.. Debi installer answer back same " I386 architecture troubles"... well it seems that this problem could be related to the version installed on my PC..(seems my PC is 64bits ready and installed 32bits Ubuntu .. or something like)but strange nor of the Opencpn could be installed on this terminal..
Even downloading ad compiling the source code (as told on the Opencpn website).. no success..(sorry for my english...). I am not an expert so most advanced user could help ???

Thanks to all !!

(below..follows the result of compilation adn installation..)

Linking CXX static library libS57ENC.a
[ 68%] Built target S57ENC
Scanning dependencies of target i18n
[ 68%] i18n [opencpn_sv_SE]: Created mo file.
/usr/bin/msgfmt: (null): atención: el encabezado del fichero PO no existe o es inválido
atención: la conversión del conjunto de caracteres no funcionará
/usr/bin/msgfmt: se encontró el error fatal 1
make[2]: *** [opencpn_sv_SE.mo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/i18n.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
jorge@ubuntu:~/opencpn$ sudo make install
[ 5%] Built target bzip2
[ 8%] Built target GRIB
[ 28%] Built target NMEA0183
[ 68%] Built target S57ENC
[ 68%] i18n [opencpn_sv_SE]: Created mo file.
/usr/bin/msgfmt: (null): atención: el encabezado del fichero PO no existe o es inválido
atención: la conversión del conjunto de caracteres no funcionará
/usr/bin/msgfmt: se encontró el error fatal 1
make[2]: *** [opencpn_sv_SE.mo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/i18n.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Old 22-06-2010, 05:26   #577

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hola Benares,

I recommend 32 bit Ubuntu for all architectures, you get minimal speed improvements on 64 bits and a host of compatibility problems..

If you have installed 32 bit Ubuntu, you must use 32 bit packages regardless of your system architecture
Old 22-06-2010, 06:18   #578

hI idpn:

Thatś exactly what I thought it was installed..(32 Bits), or as far as I remember I was not promted to choose between 32 or 64 bits..so seems It was installed by default...

Does anyone knows how can I check wich version has been installed and it is running on my PC..(32 or 64)...I have tryed almost everything but do not know where to have a look to check this..??
Old 22-06-2010, 06:41   #579

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Type uname -a in terminal.

See here for details: how to check if my ubuntu is 32 or 64bit? - Ubuntu Forums
Old 23-06-2010, 12:52   #580

Boat: HR40
windows - opencpn 620

XTE shows 0.53 NM , when I measure it's just half of it ??? Is there an error or do I misunderstand it ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for my 800x600 pixeldisplay the ais-list is a bit to large: could You reduce Class and Nav-Status a bit so I can see SoG complete.
By the way, the Ais target list does not change to night-mode when opencpn is switched to night-mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

above printscreens are made with nmea-gps from the raytheonradar-out from the boat and imported to opencpn by the ais serial port.

Today for anchorwatch I connected my little Holux-gps for energysaving and to avoid the ais-alarm from some pilotboats nearby.
I was astonished that the GPS-symbol in the upper right changed. in Ais-mode I have a circle and in gps-mode I have the 3 bars. Is this wanted? In principe its ok like this , so I see which gps is connected.

could a switch been made that ais is off during anchor watch ?
Old 24-06-2010, 01:11   #581

the "help" button behind the (?) button does not work (for me). I can see about, authors, licence but not help. If I press help, I just get an empty window in firefox and a message : "Firefox weiß nicht, wie diese Adresse geöffnet werden soll, da das Protokoll (c) mit keinem Programm verknüpft ist." -which means in english that firefox does not know how to open this adress because the protocoll (c) is not connected to any programm.

For the newbies there should be a choice window if the online help is wanted, or offline to "help_en_US.html" in opencpn\doc.

ps. Dave , did you read my pm ?
Old 24-06-2010, 07:05   #582
Marine Service Provider

RikLu....

Could you post a screen shot of the Firefox startup? What address is Firefox trying to load? Should be (on Windows)

Program Files/opencpn/doc/help_en_US.html

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 09:26   #583

I made a new clean install, got the security message, but no change concerning "help".
maybe for a german windows it must be Programme/opencpn/doc/help_en_US.html

yes , tested with "file:///C:/Programme/OpenCPN/doc/help_en_US.html" and works.....
Old 24-06-2010, 11:17   #584

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
puzzling...

Vista home French locale

file:///C:/Program%20Files/OpenCPN/doc/help_en_US.html

works fine (as it should), even though the name of the folder is 'programmes' in French
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 12:37   #585

tried "file:///C:/Program%20Files/OpenCPN/doc/help_en_US.html" and "file:///C:/Program Files/OpenCPN/doc/help_en_US.html" on german windows xp sp3, does not work