Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2013, 18:48   #16

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Autopilot Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I've a Simrad WP30 AP and it work's fine with OCPN. On the com port I use a filter like: In: None , Out: Send ECRMB,ECRMC,VWR,MWV. (The two latter for wind control) This filter prevents other RMB/RMC then the those created by OCPN to be by passed to the AP.
Thank you, Hakan, for your reply.
I use essentially the same filters as you: RMB, RMC, APB--with no joy.

The WP30 AP only supports NMEA 0183, I believe, while the TP32 supports both SimNet (essentially, NMEA 2000) and also 0183 for legacy support. Perhaps Simrad has changed the microcode in the AP? Hard for me to tell--Simrad Technical Support in the USA is unhelpful.

Old 26-09-2013, 01:16   #17

Boat: Najad 34

Tugwit..
It's most likely that your newer AP has another setup, through. But just for eliminating - if your filter is exactly as of your text I should have tried the more specific ECRMB and ECRMC instead. Then it will filter out RMBs and RMCs from other sources then OCPN.
Håkan

Old 26-09-2013, 13:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Tugwit..
It's most likely that your newer AP has another setup, through. But just for eliminating - if your filter is exactly as of your text I should have tried the more specific ECRMB and ECRMC instead. Then it will filter out RMBs and RMCs from other sources then OCPN.
Håkan
I apologize for being imprecise, Håkan. I should have written ECRMB, ECRMC, and ECAPB -- these are, in fact, the output sentences I have configured in OCPN. (And also in PolarView/PolarCOM, the other nav program I tested.)

I can monitor the data output from OCPN and input to the AP, and these are the only 0183 sentences that the AP sees. My configuration is complicated, however, by the fact that the AP also gets data (PGNs) from a SimNet (NMEA 2000) network.

PolarCOM outputs Magnetic bearings, and the AP works;
OCPN outputs True bearings, and the AP does not work.

My conclusion is--regardless of how my TP32 AP gets its bearings--via the 0183 APB or the N2K PGN 129284, or both--the TP32 will only function (to follow a route) if the bearing data is in Magnetic.

If you're interested, you might also look at the discussion in the parallel thread NMEA 2000 quandry .

-----

By the way, I see you're from Orust -- quite close (well, relatively speaking) to Ödenäs where my grandfather was born and raised!
Old 27-09-2013, 09:21   #19

Boat: Najad 34

Tugwit..
Ok, then I'm lack of ideas, but the very far-fetched one that I know about one beta version of OCPN, don't remember the number, that was sending RMB and RMC to time close to each others. The obvious test to eliminate that is to catch the last beta where I know that bug is for long time solved.

---
Fun with your grandpa. If it's that Ödenäs close the town Alingsås it's not very far from here, just a few hours car ride.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:33   #20

Pleased to report that I successfully tested the option to output MAGnetic bearings in APB autopilot sentences. This feature is introduced in 3.3.1006 Beta.

With this option enabled, OCPN APB output permits my Simrad TP32 autopilot to successfully enter NAV mode and follow a route to the next waypoint.

Good work! Well done! Thank you!!

Tags
autopilot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: