Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 13:41   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Boat: Beneteau First 47.7
Posts: 15
Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

HI

I am using now OpenCPN for about a week and have made some initial testing on board and it works great. I really like the SW, as it is simple.
I have connected NMEA GPS, AIS and will connect Seatalk Instruments once the delivery of Seatalk to NMEA converter will arrive .... would be great if this SW would recognise Seatalk and NMEA .... :O)
In the manual I found a topic on Autopilot Integration, however, I was unable to find this feauture in the software itself; Is this a to do thing or I am missing something?

Thanks Ted
__________________

__________________
s51ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 18:55   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
bdbcat's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,884
Ted....

Autopilot output/control is present in OpenCPN Version 2.1.0

Set the port in Toolbox->GPS
Activate a route.
Autopilot control sentences will be sent to the specified port.

Dave
__________________

__________________
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 12:49   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: Elan 37,Racing version
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Ted....

Autopilot output/control is present in OpenCPN Version 2.1.0

Set the port in Toolbox->GPS
Activate a route.
Autopilot control sentences will be sent to the specified port.

Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for this info.

I am probably missing some user manual info ( but I am really new to the use of this software which looks promissing - thanks to the developing team - especially when we will be able to use our charts we have paid for ) to go a little bit further as I am using a MUX.Hope you or any other reader can help.

Data from a GPS and an NMEA interface (to combine depth,sow,wind info) are sent to the MUX to 2 different channels at 4800bds and AIS data to a third one at 34800 bds.
Mux is outputing at 38400 bds all the combined info mentioned hereabove in a single flow to the PC which should be running OpenCPN.
As you will appreciate there is in this case only one port com for GPS data but also other info like wind angle,AIS data...
So which port com to use in OpenCPN? The GPS,the AIS or a port for combined info which I can not find ?

At this stage I should also be able to setup OpenCPN to send back at 38400 bds to the MUX some of the above mentioned info + ROUTE info that a few listeners like an Autopilot will be able to receive.
Again which port to use to send these info to the MUX that should receive the info back from OpenCPN through the PC .It is to be mentioned that the MUX is set up to transform automatically the speed from 38400 to 4800 bds and is outputing these transformed info on RS422 specific output channel.

I look forward to receive any hint. Thanks in advance to all.
Cheers.
ON3CHD
__________________
ON3CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 19:45   #4
Registered User
 
Islander's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 166
Re: Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

If I understand your problem correctly, you can also output autopilot commands on the same COM port you use to receive data - this is how mine works (COM4, in my case).

Cheers.
__________________
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 12:18   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: Elan 37,Racing version
Posts: 42
Re: Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
If I understand your problem correctly, you can also output autopilot commands on the same COM port you use to receive data - this is how mine works (COM4, in my case).

Cheers.
Thanks for the info.
MUX is sending combined (GPS+AIS)and receiving data from Open CPN at 38400 bds on com port 5 in my case.
Data received by MUX from Open CPN are converted by MUX at 4800 bds and output on a specific channel to which an autopilot is supposed to be connected to steer the boat and which I do monitor using Hyperterminal .
In order to reach that goal I have introduced comport 5 everywhere possible.GPS port, Autopilot port , AIS port in Open CPN.
Have then created and activated a route.
THE RESULTS are:
-Open CPN receive the combined (even if very very slowly for AIS data which are incomplete and/or sometimes wrong) info from GPS and AIS through the MUX
-Open CPN send info from GPS back to the MUX
-Open CPN does not however send info related to the route activated to MUX

I would appreciate to know why? and if I have to make an other setup.

Cheers.
ON3CHD
__________________
ON3CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 12:55   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 571
Re: Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON3CHD View Post
Data from a GPS and an NMEA interface (to combine depth,sow,wind info) are sent to the MUX to 2 different channels at 4800bds and AIS data to a third one at 34800 bds.
Mux is outputing at 38400 bds all the combined info mentioned hereabove in a single flow to the PC which should be running OpenCPN.
As you will appreciate there is in this case only one port com for GPS data but also other info like wind angle,AIS data...
So which port com to use in OpenCPN? The GPS,the AIS or a port for combined info which I can not find ?...
Go to the AIS tab and select the port that your MUX is feeding to. Then go to the GPS tab. Under "NMEA Data Source" the drop-down list should show an option for "AIS Port (Shared)" (my Windows XP v2.3.1 offers that option). You should select that. For the AutoPilot Output Port select the same port once again.

With these selections, you should get all the data moving both directions on one port. If you've tried this and it's not working, then the problem may go beyond the documentation that I have read.
__________________
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 13:19   #7
Registered User
 
Jef & Marin, Netherlands's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Liveaboard
Boat: Switch 51 #10
Posts: 452
Re: Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

ON3CHD,
I am testing almost the same setup as you have. In my living room. You are a bit ahead of me, so I am very much interested in your progress. And I'll report my own progress.
My setup is:
- Open CPN 2.3.1
- Miniplex-2USB multiplexer. Can do a lot of filtering and special tricks for this kind of set-up. See http://www.shipmodul.nl/manuals/miniplex-2usb.pdf. No commercial connection.
- EasyTRX2-is AIS transponder with USB software
- I plan to use the Miniplex software instead of hyperterminal. It is called MPX Config V3.21.
- A Garmin 276C GPS/plotter.

How do you test the output of the multiplexer? Do you use a second PC? Or a second serial to USB converter with a different COM port?

RhytmDoctor, just saw your answer while formulating this message. Thanks.

I am making an Excel with all NMEA signals in it for all talkers in our boat. Well, that is the objective at least. For me that is useful.
__________________
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:49   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: Elan 37,Racing version
Posts: 42
Re: Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Go to the AIS tab and select the port that your MUX is feeding to. Then go to the GPS tab. Under "NMEA Data Source" the drop-down list should show an option for "AIS Port (Shared)" (my Windows XP v2.3.1 offers that option). You should select that. For the AutoPilot Output Port select the same port once again.

With these selections, you should get all the data moving both directions on one port. If you've tried this and it's not working, then the problem may go beyond the documentation that I have read.
Hi thanks for your suggestion.
You will find my answer under your own post ...
Cheers.
ON3CHD
__________________
ON3CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:15   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: Elan 37,Racing version
Posts: 42
Re: Autopilot Integration Already Working in Latest OpenCPN ?

Hi,
see my answers/comments in red in your text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
ON3CHD,
I am testing almost the same setup as you have. In my living room. You are a bit ahead of me, so I am very much interested in your progress. And I'll report my own progress.
My setup is:
- Open CPN 2.3.1 Seapro 3000 racing version but having now Open CPN on trial and that is why I am on this forum
- Miniplex-2USB multiplexer. Can do a lot of filtering and special tricks for this kind of set-up. See http://www.shipmodul.nl/manuals/miniplex-2usb.pdf. No commercial connection.
Brookhouse AIS 4 channels + option DB 9 pin for BT transponder connection.
An second BT transponder is one of the 3 listeners (+Autopilot +
NMEA box from Tactick to receive proprietary NMEA sentences for racing) connected to the RS 422 output from the MUX to send some signals to a second cheap small PC that I use on deck.
- EasyTRX2-is AIS transponder with USB software Old AIS transmitter + antenna splitter
- I plan to use the Miniplex software instead of hyperterminal. It is called MPX Config V3.21.No experience as I have been working now for 5 years wiyh Hyperterminal.
- A Garmin 276C GPS/plotter. PC runniing above mentioned sofwares +old Raymarine chartplotter totally independant for a "Just in case..."

How do you test the output of the multiplexer? Do you use a second PC? Or a second serial to USB converter with a different COM port?You can do both but as far as I am concerned I try to avoid as much as possible conflict so my preference is a second PC + USB RS232 cables before testing the BT side.

RhytmDoctor, just saw your answer while formulating this message. Thanks.

I am making an Excel with all NMEA signals in it for all talkers and donĚt forget what the listeners need in our boat. Well, that is the objective at least. For me that is useful.
Cheers.
__________________

__________________
ON3CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autopilot

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raymarine / Furuno N2K Integration Experiences? Pyxis156 Navigation 9 17-02-2010 14:50
Need: Used, Working Autopilot steleehin Classifieds Archive 0 13-05-2009 16:32
The latest new guy gpilott Meets & Greets 5 28-10-2003 15:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.